MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM
Health Sciences Electives fyhope First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-27-2009 10:28 PM

Recommended Electives for the Bachelor of Health Sciences Program

Old 07-01-2009 at 10:25 AM   #1
TLulu

Liked: 3 Times

Recommended Electives for the Bachelor of Health Sciences Program
Hello everyone,
The date for chosing my courses was Monday but I am not happy with two of the electives that I chose, a biology and the life science math, and am looking to change them up throughout the week until I cannot login anymore. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding interesting electives? I would prefer something with no essays or long written assignments since I don't really rock at those but I like more anatomy, science and mathematics type courses. Also, I am really hoping to get into math 1A03 (but it is full) and was wondering if there would be open spots later on?

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2009 at 10:52 AM   #2
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

hey,

more spots in science courses, including math, will open up on july 3rd! or you could try emailing the faculty -- that's what i did to get hold of 1AA3.
Old 07-01-2009 at 10:55 AM   #3
TLulu

That sounds wonderful and would honestly make my life heh. The 1A03 sounds def like my cup of tea and apparently more spots will open when the life science students get to register.

I was also thinking about Gerontology 1A03 and wondering if there is a lot of written reports? I heard there was one 5 page report, is this a major one? Thanks
Old 07-01-2009 at 11:12 AM   #4
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

The gerontology paper is more of a reflection.

Basically, you have to do some sort of experiential learning for the course, either out in the community, or with a small class discussion group. In your report, you then take you experience/discussion topics and connect them to the course material.
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:58 PM   #5
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

If you're able to get into MATH 1A03, and it ends up being your cup of tea, definitely consider taking 1AA3 as well. I picked up 1AA3 last minute in my first year, and it was a blast.

MATH 1B03 (Linear Algebra) was also pretty neat, but in a very different sort of way. I originally took it because I thought I wanted to get a math minor, though I later changed my mind on that.

To be honest, the best way to pick electives is to try to have them balance your schedule out and reflect your varied interests. Consider courses like Econ, Philosophy (in spite of long papers), Anthropology, etc.

Your electives are your chance to have a bit of fun.
Old 07-01-2009 at 04:38 PM   #6
TLulu

Thanks Sarah13 for your input. I was also wondering, assuming that you must have taken the course, what you thought of it in general. Was it a large work load or did it give you a break from your required courses?

Thank you emtee10 also. Yes I heard that many people are aiming to take 1AA3 math in addition to math 1A03 since one leads to another in a way. So if I was to take these two maths and physics 1B03, would the workload be too tough in addition to my required courses?
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:28 PM   #7
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLulu View Post
Thanks Sarah13 for your input. I was also wondering, assuming that you must have taken the course, what you thought of it in general. Was it a large work load or did it give you a break from your required courses?

Thank you emtee10 also. Yes I heard that many people are aiming to take 1AA3 math in addition to math 1A03 since one leads to another in a way. So if I was to take these two maths and physics 1B03, would the workload be too tough in addition to my required courses?
Take whatever electives you really want to take. The workload in first year Health Sci courses isn't too bad in general, so don't worry too much about the workload.

TLulu says thanks to emtee10 for this post.