MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:02 PM   #1
ShesTheMan

Liked: 0 Times

Recorder?
Do you guys recommend me purchasing a recorder? I do have a laptop but I prefer to write out my notes, though I am a slow writer and I think it would be best for me to listen to the profs during the lectures and just jot a couple important notes down and make substantial notes afterwards.
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:03 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
Do you guys recommend me purchasing a recorder? I do have a laptop but I prefer to write out my notes, though I am a slow writer and I think it would be best for me to listen to the profs during the lectures and just jot a couple important notes down and make substantial notes afterwards.
If that's what you need to do then do it.
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:04 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

People with recorders tend to wait till the last minute to transcribe them, at which point they transcribe everything. At least that's been my experience with it, that "person" being me.
I used the Quicktime Player audio recorder so i didn't have to buy one but I find listening in class nad making notes as you go much easier. It's easier to ask questions and grasp the material once you see yousrelf writing it down as they go. I remember one of the reasons I wanted to record stuff was because "What if I miss something?" I went for 3 courses this summer without recording anything and found that if I was unsure about a point, I asked the prof right away (during the break, after class, email etc) and it made my learning experience a lot more valuable and meaningful

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-18-2010 at 03:08 PM   #4
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Yeah, I think it's a good idea if that's the way you learn best! Idk if they make em, but it'd be best to find one with a rechargable batttery (or i guess you can get rechargable batteries).... the voice recorders use a LOT of batteries.
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:25 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You will most likely never go back and listen to them.
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:29 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
You will most likely never go back and listen to them.
Who knows though, not all students are the same. Some have really good work ethics. I personally wouldn't, I wouldn't be able to listen to hours of lectures AGAIN. But if that was the only way I could learn the material I think I would... But thankfully it's not the only way for me XD
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:47 PM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

From what people have told me, with voice recorders, people also tend to get lazy during lectures, because at the back of their minds they know the lecture is being recorded, so they arent as dilligent in class.

Which, of course, is not good.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:51 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
From what people have told me, with voice recorders, people also tend to get lazy during lectures, because at the back of their minds they know the lecture is being recorded, so they arent as dilligent in class.

Which, of course, is not good.
But if the OP can't keep up with writing notes during class then it's best to just listen to the lecture and go back and write notes on their own time.
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:54 PM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I just think the OP needs to know the risks using this method. While I wouldn't mind doing this , I would not as I'm in engineering and I have too many hours of classes to fathom doing this.

I was looking online at futureshop.ca and t cheapest recorder is the Telemax 1GB Digital Voice Recorder
at 24.99 and goes up to 149 with the Sony USB Voice Recorder

Old 08-18-2010 at 10:37 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Also note some Professors specifically state that you cannot record their lectures.

I haven't encountered it too often but I've heard it enough times from Professors to warn you that you might want to double check before actually purchasing anything.
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:42 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Also note some Professors specifically state that you cannot record their lectures.

I haven't encountered it too often but I've heard it enough times from Professors to warn you that you might want to double check before actually purchasing anything.
Yeah, I remember in first-year chem, the prof was doing a demo and people took out their phones/cameras/laptop webcams to record it, and she refused to do the demo unless everyone put the stuff away, because it's copyrighted or something. If you explicitly get permission, or you are registered with CSD and recording lectures is one of your accomodations (in which case you should still confirm with the prof), then you should be fine, but it can be sketchy if you are recording without the prof's permission.
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:54 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yeah, I remember in first-year chem, the prof was doing a demo and people took out their phones/cameras/laptop webcams to record it, and she refused to do the demo unless everyone put the stuff away, because it's copyrighted or something. If you explicitly get permission, or you are registered with CSD and recording lectures is one of your accomodations (in which case you should still confirm with the prof), then you should be fine, but it can be sketchy if you are recording without the prof's permission.
That makes me think, if you are having trouble keeping up with taking notes then you should visit CSD and see what can be done. They might give you lessons on taking notes, they might allow you do record lectures or you might be assigned a note-taker which is someone that shares their notes with you from class.
Old 08-18-2010 at 11:11 PM   #13
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

I totally bombed first year, then changed my study strategies/habits - part of this change was using a recorder - and this was exactly what helped me excel over the next two years. I think buying a recorder was the best academic decision I have ever made.

As other have said though, you will have to be diligent about listening to the lectures soon after classes and be sure not to pile them up till a few days before midterms - this is a call for disaster.

It really will depend on your habits/learning style. It's great that you're considering different study habits and I'd definitely recommend trying out the recorder!