Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recycling Bins Pay919 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 09-13-2010 02:19 PM

recycling bins...

Old 12-06-2008 at 04:54 PM   #1
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

recycling bins...
Whats with the recycling bins that only have a small hole for bottles? it takes forever to find an open concept recyling bin, so i always have to physically open them to recycle salad tupperware from la piazza and the tupperware from teriyaki. Gaaah.
Old 12-06-2008 at 05:08 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

maybe because that tupperware stuff is not recyclable?

Yes it's made out of plastic, but it's not the recyclable kind.
Old 12-06-2008 at 06:27 PM   #3
davey
Elite Member

ive checked.. they have recyclable symbols on them.. however, they are pretty small and hidden and are located on the bottom of the containers.
Old 12-06-2008 at 10:10 PM   #4
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Because, otherwise, there would be piles of garbage people would throw in.
Old 12-06-2008 at 10:57 PM   #5
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvy88 View Post
ive checked.. they have recyclable symbols on them.. however, they are pretty small and hidden and are located on the bottom of the containers.
Is it the same number of plastic as the bottles? There should be a number inside that recyclable symbol, I think. There are some numbers that you can't even recycle, at least not here in Hamilton.
Old 12-06-2008 at 11:11 PM   #6
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Is it the same number of plastic as the bottles? There should be a number inside that recyclable symbol, I think. There are some numbers that you can't even recycle, at least not here in Hamilton.
ill check next time.. but it would a huge waste if we couldnt even recycle them here... think of all those teriyaki containers!!
Old 12-07-2008 at 03:14 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Whatever you do, don't put garbage into the blue bins because the company that collects them will simply through that entire bag out, even if there's only one coffee cup in it. I know it sounds retarded but thats what happens, which is why there are so many signs on the bins.

Old 12-07-2008 at 05:17 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Ya, I've been wondering where the normal recycling boxes are too. It seems incredibly ironic for Pizza Pizza to be using those small cardboard boxes with the labels saying how they are saving the environment or some shit when I can't even recycle them.

On a side note, anyone besides me think it's becoming ridiculous how much plastic is going into the Minute Maid juice containers? They are literally indestructible now... to the point where I can't even compress them a little bit by stepping on them.

I don't get why they are putting so much effort to protect a freaking liquid.
Old 12-07-2008 at 05:31 PM   #9
davey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, I've been wondering where the normal recycling boxes are too. It seems incredibly ironic for Pizza Pizza to be using those small cardboard boxes with the labels saying how they are saving the environment or some shit when I can't even recycle them.
True say! I totally forgot about those... grrr.
Old 12-07-2008 at 07:48 PM   #10
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

the recycling numbers you can recycle in hamilton are 1,2,5 and 6
Old 12-07-2008 at 08:43 PM   #11
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

It's actually irrelevant what kinds of plastic the City of Hamilton recycles, since I'm pretty sure it's NOT them who are picking up the garbage/recycling at Mac - it's a private company. 1, 2, 5, and 6 may be accepted in curbside blue boxes picked up and processed by the city, but it's up to whatever recycler Mac contracts with to decide what they want to accept.
Old 12-11-2008
girscex
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-11-2008 at 01:07 PM   #12
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Almost every bag of recycling goes to trash at McMaster - so don't worry too much. By throwing that container or pizza box in the garbage, you're just speeding up its journey to the inevitable.
Old 12-11-2008 at 01:09 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Almost every bag of recycling goes to trash at McMaster - so don't worry too much.
How on Earth is that not something to worry about?
Old 12-11-2008 at 05:33 PM   #14
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
How on Earth is that not something to worry about?
I meant about your little piece not making it into the correct bin. McMaster's issue of not recycling is an entirely different ball game.