MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstatement question Mr. Pink Academics 5 09-13-2010 08:07 PM
reinstatement vdelz Academics 37 08-20-2010 06:56 PM
reinstatement dannieb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-13-2010 08:53 PM
Reinstatement gongshow Academics 0 06-20-2010 06:03 PM

Reinstatement Question

Old 06-02-2009 at 12:37 AM   #1
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

Reinstatement Question
Well, unfortunately due to certain events taking place i need to apply for reinstatement. I have written my letter. I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback on the letter, maybe those who have written one before. Please do not comment if you do not read the entire thing.

Thanks

Microsoft Word - Reinstatement Info.wpd Before explaining the reason for my poor performance I would like to state a brief summary of my academic career prior to my first year in university. In elementary school I did very well. This wasn’t due to my intelligence but due to my work ethic. I was willing to go above and beyond for marks and it showed throughout my elementary studies. I graduated elementary school with the history and science award and I was also the valedictorian.(See attached for proof). I entered high school with high hopes but unfortunately I was diagnosed with gallbladder disease and I was visiting the hospital off and on, for the whole year. I finished with a 58 average and was very disappointed with myself. In Grade 10 I had recovered and I managed to achieve an 84 even though I had very little understanding of the previous content. Grade 11 I excelled even more, I was awarded the history award (see attached). I finished with an 85 average. In my final year, I did well in most of my courses accept advanced functions. I finished high school with an 87 average and at graduation I was given an award in law/Business, was an Ontario scholar and was on the honor roll ( see attached). 3 out of 4 years I have been on the honor roll and always had the support of my teachers due to my work ethic and degree of confidence.
In my first year my performance was terrible. This wasn’t because I partied, or couldn’t adapt to the environment it was due to a terrible unfolding of events which I will explain.
There were two primary reasons that contributed to my failure. First the stress applied from a situation and wrong course selections due to career changes.
Like all other high school students, I was excited to attend university and challenge myself with the content presented. My father and mother have been diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension for about 4 years. On September 4, 2008 my father began experiencing severe pain in his legs and feet and started consulting his doctor. He was told that he may have nerve damage and should stop working. (Illustrated in medical report) He was told that he would be evaluated over the next few months and the doctor would decide whether or not he was eligible for disability. My parents told me this and that I was now responsible for running the store. I asked my parents why they couldn’t hire an employee. Financially we were struggling to survive, sales dropped from 1500 a day to 500-700 a day and we had many bills, and a mortgage to pay. So hiring employees was out of the question. My mother had diabetes and hypertension and lacked the English skills to work there so I was stuck with the unbearable task of running a convenience store and managing my studies. The hours of the business were from 8am-11pm. So my dad informed me that I could close the business for three hours only during exams/labs.
The first week was ok, but with the addition of labs and tests a lot of difficulty came. I missed many labs and missed a physics test because of this situation. I missed almost 85% of my lectures but at the time this wasn’t much concern as I was trying to do whatever I could to save my family from failure. As a result my marks were terrible.
I cracked, I couldn’t handle work and university but if I didn’t I would be responsible for my families failure, we would not be able to pay our mortgage, we would not be able to pay my tuition, so I continued working for the rest of the semester. During semester 2, our financial state worsened. 4 years ago my father had bought a property with his brother in Pakistan. His brother manipulated the legal system and did not give him his share. So now, I had lost my tuition money. In four months I would have to save 4500 dollars. So I had to sell my laptop, desktop, cell phone and rims on ebay. I received $3500 for these items. Psychologically I was ruined and the stress kept eating away at me but I never gave up. During semester two I continued to work, only being given enough time to attend labs and a few lectures, once again my marks suffered but I had saved the house, the cars and the business. Throughout this entire experience I never quit and I always kept trying. After experiencing these events I believe I can achieve anything and no task is too difficult, even medical school. So in turn I ask you the committee to please approve of my reinstatement.
The next reason for my low performance was a change in career. I took courses like chemistry/Econ that I did not enjoy or needed for my career in psychology. After being exposed to psychology I’m certain that I will pursue a career in it and one day will become a psychologist. I would love to do this at McMaster, as they have an amazing psychology department and staff.
The most important question is whether or not these situations have been solved? The first situation has indeed been solved. Our family is a firm believer in karma. Unfortunately my father’s brother turned ill and decided to give my father his share. My father received a sum of $30000, as of now he has allocated 10 000 to me and 5000 to pay the two employees ( Information provided in there testimonies). Our store is currently for sale, so once it is sold we will have more money to allocate towards my studies and to any bills. My mother is also starting up her own catering business which has potential as her cooking is amazing. So I no longer have to worry about problems related to financial issues. My father has also been given permission to apply for disability.(Refer to form) My parents have also decided to get me a room off campus. They want to keep me away from any troubles experienced in a normal day household so I can focus entirely on school.
The next issue has also been solved. I know what courses to take and what program I would like to attend. I have never been more motivated to get back to school and pursue a career in psychology.
Another question arises, how do I intend to recover academically? Well I have enrolled in psychology 1x03 and biology 1a03 for term 2 of summer school. These two courses will help me get to second year psychology. Also I would like you the committee to look at these marks. I’m certain I will be able to get anywhere from 10-12. I also intend on going to counseling/student services, which include tutoring. I also have many motivations, I feel as if I let my family down and they feel guilty as I’m in this predicament because of them. success in school is the most important thing to my family and I. I also have signed up for a grade 12 calculus course, so I can go straight into Math 1MO3, opposed to taking grade 12 calculus at McMaster.
I understand that there are more life science applicants this year and that there is minimal space for reinstatement. So I have researched what type of program I need to be in, to pursue a career in psychology. It is life science or the social sciences. So I ask you the committee, if there’s no rooms in the life sciences then please place me into social sciences. Here I will take the following courses. Psych 1X03(summer school) –One of Biology 1A03( summer school) – Cellular & Molecular, Biology
1M03 – Biodiversity, Evolution & Ecology,
One of Math 1A03 – Calculus I, Math 1LS3 – Math for
Life Sciences, Math 1M03 – Calculus for Social
Sciences
I want to be in this program so I can pursue a degree in Honors psychology as I’m motivated to succeed in the field of psychology and enjoy every minute of it.

In conclusion, McMaster to me acquires students who possess critical thinking skills, experience personal growth, and have a passion for learning. I possess all of these qualities and all I ask is for a second chance to prove that I do possess these skills and I do belong at McMaster.

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 06-02-2009 at 01:08 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

That was moving. If I was in charge, you'd be reinstated instantly.

Good luck!

fasailuddin says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-02-2009 at 01:08 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I've never been in a situation like you're in academically, but wow, I must say, that's a very well written and convincing letter. I think you probably have a pretty good shot at being reinstated, seeing as you have some pretty solid reasons you couldn't avoid for why you didn't do as well as you could have.

Glad to see that all the hardships you went through were eventually worked out.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2009 at 07:45 AM   #4
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Just a piece of advice: make sure you proofread the letter before you send it in (for example, there were a few places where you misused "there", "their" and "they're"). Also, try to stay away from contractions and colloquialisms. Make the letter sound and look as professional as it can be.

You should write another conclusion as well. Remind them of all the reasons which affected you (family problems and cognitive dissonance within your now former chosen pathway).

All the best!

fasailuddin says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 06-02-2009 at 09:24 AM   #5
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time

hey im in the same situation as you. i have to apply to reinstate but i dont have a reason as good as yours.

your letter seems to focus more on what went wrong and in the end it somewhat its like these problems have been magicaly solved. i would say talk more in detail about how they have been solved. other than that its quite good. im pretty sure u'll be reinstated.

and another thing. if your status is: May Not Continue you will automatically be withdrawn from any 2nd sem summer courses...

fasailuddin says thanks to myInteger for this post.
Old 06-02-2009 at 09:50 AM   #6
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

I find it best to put yourself in the position of the reader when considering any type of letter. Picture someone who does a lot of reading all day...

Standard format is introduction, body and conclusion. Separate them clearly as paragraphs. Your introduction should clearly state that you are seeking reinstatement. It should, in as few words as possible, summarize the personal problems you had last year. Then state what remedy you are seeking. What can I as the reader do to help you. You start off with your past academic history going back to elementary school and bury the "meat" of what happened - the family commitments in the middle of the letter. You should lead with that in the body...it sells. You've organized it chronologically which works in many cases but not in this one.

Place the details in the body of the letter in a separate paragraph. This way, if the reader wants to read it, it's there. Perhaps the reader was convinced with the introduction and simply needs to skim the body as it is quite lengthy.

Finally, your conclusion in a separate paragraph. Restate very briefly what happened and what you are seeking.

Hope this helps...good luck!

fasailuddin says thanks to MDCL for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 02:37 PM   #7
stressedspec
Account Locked

just wanted to thank everyone for your support, i have been granted reinstatement

resh.jyoti, siddu like this.
Old 06-30-2009 at 03:32 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
just wanted to thank everyone for your support, i have been granted reinstatement
Virtual high five! *Please press your palm against the monitor*
Old 06-30-2009 at 03:42 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
CONGRATULATIONS! But don't you have to pick your courses now? :S
Old 06-30-2009 at 03:42 PM   #10
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Congratulations! I knew you would get it the moment I read your reinstatement letter.
Old 06-30-2009 at 04:11 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
4 years ago my father had bought a property with his brother in Pakistan. His brother manipulated the legal system and did not give him his share. So now, I had lost my tuition money.
Good old Pakistan That happened with my dad and his younger brother as well. The latter sold and spent the family house after getting a misled power of attorney from my 93 year old Grandfather.

But it was a well written letter and I'm very happy that people with very valid reasons are actually given a second chance, as opposed to those who just party their first year away

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-30-2009 at 05:13 PM   #12
myInteger

stressedspec

congratulations. i mentioned above that I'm in the same situation as you...

that notification was quite fast... do they send you something in the mail? when did you send your letter in?
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:20 PM   #13
stressedspec
Account Locked

hey go to mugsi then go to your program course summary, should say in the comments if you have been reinstated
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:55 PM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Congratulations!

Good luck this year!
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:52 PM   #15
myInteger

thanks. haha, i noticed u started a new thread for that. quite helpful for the others who are waiting!