Religious Studies 2QQ3 beringgur Academics 0 06-26-2009 01:07 PM
Religious Studies ferreinm Academics 9 05-30-2009 07:09 PM

Religious Studies 2YY3

Religious Studies 2YY3
Published by shleyaa
04-27-2010
Published by

Religious Studies 2YY3

So I think it's safe to say that this course was one of the easiest courses I've ever taken at Mac. It's also pretty interesting too! I had this class with Dr. Calvert-Koyzis, who's a very friendly and approachable prof. I have a friend who complained about how slow and boring she was with her lectures, but I didn't really notice. Anyway, here are the course objectives from the course outline:

Course Objectives

1. To introduce relevant portions of biblical books.
2. To discuss how to profitably view a film.
3. To introduce students to perceptions of biblical narratives and biblical ideas in
scholarly literature and in films.
4. To consider how an understanding of biblical texts assists us in understanding a variety of films.
5. To consider how an understanding of films can assist us in further understanding biblical texts.
6. To gain a fuller awareness of how filmmakers perceive the Bible and biblical imagery from an analysis of films.

Basically each week we would have to watch a film before class, and in class the professor would discuss how the film related to the Bible. We did have opportunities to discuss the films in tutorial, but I never went since tutorial participation did not count towards our grade. It was 30% midterm, 40% reflection paper, and 30% final exam.

The midterm was extremely easy, consisting of only multiple choice and fill in the blank questions. She would distribute a list of key terms that you would have to know, and on the exam she would give you the definition and you would have to fill in the correct word from the list. The final exam was the exact same format, except longer and unfortunately a little trickier. I highly recommend going through the readings, as a lot of the questions refer to what specific authors said. Also, she likes to test whether you've watched the movies or not by asking really detailed questions about the film (i.e. What was Forrest Gump's son watching on television when Forrest meets him for the first time?) Here are the films we studied this semester:

Films
1. The Ten Commandments
2. Prince of Egypt
3. The Sixth Sense
4. Fried Green Tomatoes
5. Jesus of Montreal
6. Passion of Christ
7. Da Vinci Code
8. Forrest Gump
9. Shawshank Redemption
10. Armageddon

That's pretty much it. I would recommend this course not only because of its "difficulty" level, but also because it is pretty interesting to see how these Hollywood movies relate to the Bible. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them

TanyaMac likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Religious Studies 2YY3!

Old 06-04-2010 at 01:18 PM   #2
jcc714

Liked: 0 Times
Great review!

How difficult was the reflection paper?
Old 08-26-2015 at 12:10 AM   #3
simsandmax

can anyone give a more recent review?
Old 08-26-2015 at 12:31 PM   #4
nessareanna

This course was one of the easiest courses I have taken at Mac. I took this course in Winter 2015 with prof, Jonathan Bernier. The course breakdown has changed quite a bit, and there was no midterm involved. The course consisted of three essays, each being only three (3) to four (4) pages. All essays were submitted through A2L. The first two essays were worth 30%, and the final essay worth 40%. There were weekly tutorials, which were optional. Tutorials just provided clarification of the film themes, as well as the Biblical passages.

We watched fairly recent movies:

Noah
The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008 remake)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Contagion
Daybreakers
Warm Bodies
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Each essay involved comparing common themes of two films to the Biblical verses given in the course. As long as the Biblical connection and film themes are discussed and linked in great detail, the course is an easy 12. Hope this helps

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search