MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Confused about Paying for Off-Campus Rent lampk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-10-2008 01:08 PM
Looking to Rent? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2007 05:03 PM

Where to Rent Around Campus?

Old 07-29-2010 at 12:52 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Oh yeah something I forgot to mention about the South area:

One of the student housing buildings used to be a funeral home.
My friend lives there! It's actually pretty nice inside.
Old 07-29-2010 at 01:31 PM   #17
rammramm

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post
oh and p.s. the south has an added bonus... once in a blue moon if the wind is blowing just right, thanks to the candy factory on ewen rd, the whole neighbourhood smells like red licorice. LOL
Swedish Berries! Totally know the smell you're talking about haha

soltintal likes this.
Old 08-10-2010 at 06:55 PM   #18
court_dawson

Liked: 0 Times

Westdale!
Old 08-12-2010 at 09:43 AM   #19
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I'm biased, but rent in Westdale. The houses are quaint and older- mine has a little compartment at the side of the house where the milkman would drop off the milk- but still reasonably priced. I was suprised to find hardwood floor in a student house, which is apparently common in my area. Westdale gives you access to groceries, restaurants, Snooty and coffee, as well as tons of bus stops. If not, it's a nice, close walk to campus.
Old 08-12-2010 at 11:19 AM   #20
kiran_sc

i love the west lived there ever since 2nd year. I NEED FORTINO's.
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:12 PM   #21
CHanna

Just to second (third... eighth?) what seems to be the concensus, there's nothing wrong with Westdale that can't be cured by what's right with Westdale. Really, though, ain't nothing wrong with Wesdale. You've got a good range of shops, groceries, a bar or two, a generally upstanding populace, quieter areas on the side streets et cetera et cetera. It's a good place.
Old 08-15-2010 at 09:24 PM   #22
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Well, I spent 2nd year living downtown near St. Joes, I really enjoyed it, and it helped me break free of the downtown stereotypes, some stuff happened that stopped me from living in that place, but now I've moved to the Main and Whitney area, I can really say after being here for a week that I love it here much more, it has a bit of a stronger community feel to it, and being closer to campus is very nice. I'd say anywhere in Zone 1 is great to live.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

dsahota likes this.
Old 08-21-2010 at 08:59 AM   #23
fiatspyder

Houses close to campus
There are plenty of nice rooms available in houses ...like Norfolk, etc.... Houses are small..but rooms ok.

fs
Old 08-21-2010 at 09:08 AM   #24
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

The best area to live is around Whitney and Ewen... tons of beautiful houses that are rented to students.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-21-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Advertising
Old 08-31-2010 at 12:27 AM   #25
cywhiz

I finally managed to get a room few weeks ago! Thanks all for the helpful advice. Actually, I guess I'm lucky to find a place that is VERY close to the school and Fortino's. IMO, the area is not as nice as Westdale, but it is close to everything and the house itself is quite clean. It is just one block west of Mac (5 min walk).

As I said, this is my first time renting. I've looked through many houses (10-15) before coming to this decision, and I hope I made the right choice!

Westdale seems a pretty nice area too. It has some nice little shops around. It is great to go there from time to time. If I can find a good house at Westdale, maybe next term I'll try there!
Old 08-31-2010 at 02:48 AM   #26
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, I know right? I grew up in West Toronto
Im saying this as someone born in West Toronto (Weston/Lawrence): West Toronto sucks. Sorry Feona :|
Old 08-31-2010 at 10:11 AM   #27
JackyH

7 westbourn Rd
I live in the west area for about 3 years going on 4. I love it there, because i am relativity close to the school and also its a heavy student populated area. Also its great for those studying nights if Tim Horton and Burger King and Fortinos is close by

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-31-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Advertising