MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Res question

Old 01-08-2011 at 12:07 PM   #16
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
The way the room assignment works is that firstly, those people with a 95%+ who request a single room get it, then everything else goes to lottery, based on the choices you set out as your preferred styles of residences in the application form. Since you want a room to yourself your top 3 should be single room, apartment, suite (perhaps not in that order). In apartment and suite styles you get your own room, a common area, your own bathroom and a kitchen. You'll have 3-5 roommates that have their own rooms as well to put up with, but it's essentially a single room with a few perks if you go for apartment or suite style.
Wait, I didn't know this, you're saying that if your grade 12 grade to entry of university grade was 95%+ you get to choose a single?

...haha...that's...so ... typical.

Old 01-08-2011 at 12:17 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I don't get why you would want a single room.. the only advantage to paying a disgusting amount of money for residence is that you're taken out of your coddled environment and thrown into the world of semi-grownups.. :O

Like, you're getting sweet entrance scholarships... n everything!
Old 01-08-2011 at 12:25 PM   #18
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

dude... living off campus is not that much cheaper. i think people need to understand that

mfattal likes this.
Old 01-08-2011 at 12:27 PM   #19
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
dude... living off campus is not that much cheaper. i think people need to understand that
yeah it really isnt, and it really depends on where you are (in order to get more bang for your buck).

there are pros and cons to both, obviously...but on average living on campus with meal plan runs about the same as off-campus with groceries and fast food deliveries

Old 01-08-2011 at 02:27 PM   #20
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Wait, I didn't know this, you're saying that if your grade 12 grade to entry of university grade was 95%+ you get to choose a single?

...haha...that's...so ... typical.
Yep. Single rooms are guaranteed to people with a 95%+ in grade 12. Then again, these people probably will make much better use of the single room than most people.

There are a few exceptions to this though. For example. I had the 95%+ for grade 12, but ended up in apartment style because I applied for a bed extension. Apparently it's easier to give me a room that already has the bed extension installed than it is to add it on to a bed in a single room. I imagine applying to certain themed floors might hamper your chances for getting a single room.
Old 01-08-2011 at 02:30 PM   #21
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Having a roommate isn't really that bad. I had a great experience first year (jhan can attest to that ). It's very rare to hear people who actually had a problem with their roommates or reported a miserable experience from not having your own room. It forces you to meet people, and I got along with my roommate great (at least I think so, lol) despite the fact that initially, he and I had very, very little in common. I can't share a room nowadays because the last two years I haven't had my own room (roommate in rez first year, girlfriend last year), but it's worth it for one year.