MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Medical Radiation Science twitterbird First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-25-2009 06:00 PM
Medical Radiation Sciences _Luu_ Academics 1 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

Residence/Medical Radiation Sciences

Old 03-19-2010 at 10:51 AM   #1
Linh

Liked: 0 Times

Residence/Medical Radiation Sciences
Hey, so I've been accepted to the Medical Radiation Sciences program and I was wondering if those who are/were in the program could share some of your thoughts about it.

I am going to live in residence, so I also wanted to know if it would be better for a first-year student to live in a traditional or suite/apartment style residence?
Old 03-19-2010 at 04:12 PM   #2
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

First of all, congratulations in getting into the program! You're pretty much set for the next few years.

I could probably go on and on about the program, so if you have any specific questions, you can msg me.

I suggest you look at the first year course reviews, especially the MedRadSci courses. I've made some commentary about them, but you could check these again after this school year, as I plan on writing reviews of the courses I have right now.

For residence, I can't help you with that. I'm living in a student house right now.

But once again, congrats!
Old 03-19-2010 at 10:09 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

From what I understand, here are some pros and cons regarding the residence choices you've mentioned:
(I'm also off campus but have friends who live on residence so this a compilation of their recounts with my experiences in their places)

Apartment or suite style:
Pros: Privacy, a pleasant amount of comfort with your own washroom facilities most of the time, quiet and the ability to have "you" time.
With respect to Keyes in particular, which many first years aim towards (and it is beautiful): You have your own toilet and shower that you share with one other person, your own kitchen to cook in, a room that's not too large but decent enough for a fridge, and a good amount of soundproofing if you like loud music, or your upstairs/downstairs neighbours do.
It still has that pleasant "new" feel to it and a nice view, regardless of whether you're facing the GO Buses or not.
You're also close to the Mini Mac (a little convenience store) and the GO Bus stop

Cons: It can get lonely, especially if you don't get along with your suite mates or have trouble finding common ground.
Bathroom situations can get a bit messy if your roommates aren't fond of cleaning because they aren't cleaned for you.
The rooms are smaller than you might expect if you have a lot of stuff.
It's harder to bond with people on your floor since everybody's so separated.

Dorm Style:
Advantages:
- Roommates sharing a room which can be great if you like having close company and get along, or if you're scared of the dark
- You get to split room maintenance between each other
- If you decide to live in a student house in 2nd year, you may have already found a great roommate or two to search with
- You get to meet a lot of people due to interactions with other people on your floor
- Your bathrooms are cleaned regularly and your rooms can be quite spacious

Disadvantages:
- Your bathrooms are used by other people.
(The lack of elaboration is not to demonstrate that this is a less significant point but that all you need to hear is in that sentence)
- You may not like your roommates and it can be hard to have your own privacy and space, especially when you'd really like it
- You may not be comfortable sharing so many things or being in such close proximity to somebody else so often
- I imagine there are more distractions than when by yourself in a room in Keyes

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-20-2010 at 01:10 PM   #4
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

Heyy, congratulations! I've also been accepted I'm too excited, haha.
I also plan on living in residence, but because of the price difference I'm going for traditional.

EDIT: cost is most definitely not the only reason I'm staying away from apartment style. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the res experience..It's a great opportunity to meet new people!

Last edited by Olivia. : 03-20-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2010 at 10:14 PM   #5
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I would suggest living in a traditional rez because you get to meet more people that way because everyone more or less tries to get out of their rooms to try meet everyone else on the floor. I lived in Hedden in my first year and I don't regret having to share a room with a roommate (I didn't know her before first year).