MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence or Off Campus? You Choose kokosas Residence & Off-Campus Living 17 05-27-2013 06:13 PM
From off-campus to residence. _Luu_ Residence & Housing 9 01-12-2010 05:26 PM
DC++ On Campus (Not residence) Pay919 General Discussion 21 09-17-2009 05:16 PM
Best Residence on campus? kanishka Residence & Housing 39 07-10-2009 10:12 PM
Best residence room on campus? watchword General Discussion 8 12-03-2007 10:59 AM

Residence Vs Off Campus

Old 09-18-2010 at 01:24 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Residence Vs Off Campus
Is it better to live on Residence or Off campus.

What is the price comparison?

is life on campus better or off campus?

Thanks for your help
Old 09-18-2010 at 01:30 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

For first year, I'd definitely suggest living on residence, it's great to be close to campus, not having to cook on your own and it's much easier to meet friends. Off campus can be cheaper (depending on the kind of place you live in), but it's better when you're in your upper years when you're more comfortable being at mac. If you choose to live off campus you can get involved with SOCS though.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-18-2010 at 01:36 PM   #3
mfattal
Elite Member

What is SOCS??
Old 09-18-2010 at 01:37 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

sorry, SOCS is Society of Off Campus Students

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

mfattal says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 01:38 PM   #5
noni_e

Liked: 0 Times

its a club known as students off campus society

mfattal says thanks to noni_e for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 02:00 PM   #6
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Actually, James got it right, its Society of Off Campus Students.

I might be a little biased, but I would heavily recommend living off campus right from the get go. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but I really believe off campus is the way to go.

-Its cheaper
-You will get your own room, so you don't need to worry about a noisy/messy/psychotic room mate.
-You still get the sense of community that residence has through SOCS
-If you meet people off campus right off the bat, you'll know about the best house parties
-You'll still be able to attend res parties if you have friends in residence
-You don't have a meal plan, so you'll eat tastier, healthier food (and pay much less)
-You can get whatever size bed you want
-You can have your own fridge
-Your house will most likely have its own laundry machine
-Since SOCS is made up of students of all years, you'll meet plenty of upper years from your program who can help you adjust.

There are many more benefits, but those are the biggest ones. The main disadvantages
-You aren't right on campus, so it can take longer to get to class. This can vary by where you live though, I have friends who live closer to the actual lecture buildings than people in residence.
-Again, depending on where you live you need to deal with buses, walks in the winter, or parking.
-If you're a naturally shy person you might be inclined to spend your time alone, something that residence will help prevent.

I lived off campus for my first year, and I couldn't recommend it more.

mfattal says thanks to Marlowe for this post.

Desda likes this.
Old 09-18-2010 at 02:48 PM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Both experiences are ultimately what you make of it. Let's make a list.

Pros of Living on Residence:
-Close to campus, meaning more flexibility in choosing class timings (not that you'll always get the ones you want)
-Easier to interact with other first years (through Frosh events, should you choose to attend, or residence events. Even helping people move their stuff into their rooms fosters friendships)
-Sense of independence (depending on who you are, this can be a good or bad thing, actually)
-Easy transition between living at home and moving away permanently.

Cons of Residence:
-The money. By far the greatest deterrent. Even with the availability of OSAP, many people don't look forward to graduating in debt. The type of residence you are in also effects the overall cost, Keyes being the most expensive one (from what I've heard).
-The meal plan. This ties in with the money thing, because they are their own expense. Luckily schools now have types of meal plans, and you buy the one according to your eating habits.
-Homesickness. This includes missing your shower, your room, your dog/cat/snake, the creaky step going down to the basement, and your mother's cooking.
-Independence. I said this was a bad thing as well, and it's because some kids don't so as well as they would like on their own. Tough love works and kids DO need to learn on their own, but at the cost of several thousand dollars as well as academic reputation? Some people are uncomfortable with that.

Pros of Commuting
-Money saved. Indeed. The biggest pull factor towards living at home. Those thousands of dollars not gone towards residence means money put towards something else.
-Support system. For the majority of us, our parents are involved in our education, be it financially or otherwise, from preschool to post secondary. They get kind of nosy and annoying, but they genuinely do care. Sometimes you need someone to always just be there, to give moral support, to whip you back into shape when you find yourself lurking on Facebook for hours instead of writing about extradition treaties or making comprehensive chemistry notes.
-Familiarity of surroundings. Some people find themselves in reisdences because it's associated with the typical university experience. But you've been living at home for your entire academic career, and the need to change that is not a requirement. There are some people who have such an extensive schedule, that coming home is just silly, but they are a different story. You have your room. You have your bathroom. You probably still have a rubber duck in the tub. It's comforting.
-Time utilisation. People end up becoming really well-read because the extra time on the bus is often used towards finishing up readings. It not only makes the bus ride seem shorter, but you have less to do when you get home.

Cons of Commuting
-Inconvenience. You have to schedule classes according the most convenient GO bus timings for you. If you're not a fan of travelling at night, you may not be able to take a class that is solely offered in the evenings
-Travel times. Depending on where you live, getting to Mac via the GO can be painful. Those living near the Trafalgar/407, Square One, the Bronte carpool lot, and the Burlington carpool have it easy. For others, whose home is in a location that isn't really close to any of these, commute times add up to include the time it takes to getting from home to the station. I know one girl who had to take Missisauga transit to Square One, and then Square One to Mac. Ouch.
-GO transit is sometimes confusing. Try looking up schedules. At times, harassing customer service reps may be the only solution.

I did not include a section for Off Campus kids, because I haven't had any experience with such a thing. Sorry.

mfattal says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:00 PM   #8
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

personally i recommend you live on campus first year cause honestly its just such a great experience that everyone should at least experience once. Price wise offcampus is a lot cheaper, and for first year its better on campus cause everything is close by and its soo damn fun. right now im living off campus but first year i lived on campus and i loved it... sure its more expensive but its worth it. cause the next 3 years your probably going to be living offcampus and first year is the best year for on campus living

mfattal says thanks to bloodywarz for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:14 PM   #9
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

I think it ultimately boils down to how practical you really want to be.

If the commute is not difficult for you, and you want to save money because you don't feel lie spending so much, commute.

If the commute is not difficult for you, and you don't really give a shit about where the money goes right now, don't commute

mfattal says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:40 PM   #10
mfattal
Elite Member

I hate waking up in the morning and my parents have moved to Saudi Arabia so I have no one back in Mississauga except my aunt. So I dont think I will be commuting. Even though I didn't go to mcmaster yet I already have lots of friends their in upper years and first year.

But I want to know How much will it cost to live on Campuss? and can I avoid the meal plan and get my own food??

I know people in other university's who live on campus and dont have a meal plan but does this work for Mcmaster?

I would also for my self consider living on Campus because I would like to hit the gym quite a few times.

But how much does it cost to live on campus?

And I want to also know How much will my tuition Cost for engineering with res?

Thanks for ur help guys
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:51 PM   #11
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
I hate waking up in the morning and my parents have moved to Saudi Arabia so I have no one back in Mississauga except my aunt. So I dont think I will be commuting. Even though I didn't go to mcmaster yet I already have lots of friends their in upper years and first year.

But I want to know How much will it cost to live on Campuss? and can I avoid the meal plan and get my own food??

I know people in other university's who live on campus and dont have a meal plan but does this work for Mcmaster?

I would also for my self consider living on Campus because I would like to hit the gym quite a few times.

But how much does it cost to live on campus?

And I want to also know How much will my tuition Cost for engineering with res?

Thanks for ur help guys

Again, depends on the residence. i have a few friends in Engineering and I can ask them for you, but they are living in Bates and Matthews.

I only have one price for you, that comes from a Commerce student on res, and his annual grand total comes to $15, 000. This is res costs plus tuition, not including things like what you spend on frosh parties or books.

Since you have no one in Sauga except for your aunt and you dont seem to want to live at home, you could pick up OSAP and pay it off as soon as possible (remember, upon graduation, its interest free for 6 months), or you could live off campus.

I have one friend living off campus ( forgot bout her while writing my first response), and somehow her total comes to almost the same as living on res, but the only difference is that she can be flexible with her spending. Where she cannot skimp on rent, she can stretch her dollars for food and entertainment.
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:52 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

You can't avoid getting a meal plan, its required with McMaster residences. You can't have a fridge except for a tiny rented one, so it probably wouldn't be practical to make your own food anyway.

I was more talking about getting a student house near campus, I know a lot of people who commute, and it seems like it kindof sucks (of course, you save even more money that way). Living off campus in a student house can be a lot cheaper than residence still, depending on how much your place costs.

Equinox says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:55 PM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
You can't avoid getting a meal plan, its required with McMaster residences. You can't have a fridge except for a tiny rented one, so it probably wouldn't be practical to make your own food anyway.

I was more talking about getting a student house near campus, I know a lot of people who commute, and it seems like it kindof sucks (of course, you save even more money that way). Living off campus in a student house can be a lot cheaper than residence still, depending on how much your place costs.

I actually love my commute. But it is only 25-30 minutes.
Old 09-18-2010 at 03:59 PM   #14
Marlowe
Elite Member

Yeah, that's not too bad. Its the people with hour long bus rides that have it bad.
Old 09-18-2010 at 04:07 PM   #15
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Yeah, that's not too bad. Its the people with hour long bus rides that have it bad.
I once came with my friend with my friend from the GO bus I had to pay 12 dollers for 2 ways!! but i know a month pass is cheaper but it was like a 45min commute

so Id rather go near campus

But any one know the prices??? for Campus res?

And If I can have no meal plan and get my own food?

What does the meal plan consist? does it have like timmis and stuff like that or no? cafe food?