MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-10-2012 at 11:39 PM   #1
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Restoring Chromes Bookmarks
Hey guys, so from recent threads, many of you are aware of my HP battery problems. Long story short, when I moved my laptop downstairs and turned it on,I couldn’t turn it back on until like the 5th try :/ And when it did turn on (beforeasking for my password) a message appeared saying "Startup Repair".After like few minutes a message popped up saying that I should restore mycomputer to the last time my computer was working properly. There were 2 options:1.Restore & 2.Cancel, when I chose cancel my laptop turned off by itself :/When I turned my laptop on the second time, I chose "Restore" and afterlike half an hour I was asked for my password and logged in successfully.

When they were checking for problems (before I chose restore), they told methat no changes will be made to your personal files or information, only the latestinstalled programs will be removed...i didn't think about it too much since thelast time I downloaded something was long time ago lol...Well unfortunately, the"restoration" uninstalled Chrome :/ When I checked Chromes propertiesit said, "Created ‎August-‎28-‎11". I am not sure why it gotuninstalled.

My question is, if I install chrome again, or remove that "restoration"thin g that I did, will I be able to at least get all my bookmarks back? I had like a 100 bookmarks, and some are really important!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this, any help is appreciated
Old 08-11-2012 at 03:16 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Did you use Chrome's Sync feature? If you did you just have to log back into your Google Account in the Chrome Settings and everything will go back to the way it was before. If not then I'm not too sure ...

jim1 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 03:30 PM   #3
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Just export your book marks as an HTML file, and import them back...

jim1 says thanks to tungo89 for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 03:32 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungo89 View Post
Just export your book marks as an HTML file, and import them back...
I don't think the OP has Chrome on their computer right now...

I was also thinking that maybe your personal files weren't deleted. You could check if a chrome folder still exists in your user folder and maybe the bookmarks are still there. If they are then installing chrome again would work.

jim1 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 03:37 PM   #5
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't think the OP has Chrome on their computer right now...

Clearly I should read the entire message next time...

OP: Have you tried checking the directory where Chrome was uninstalled? Sometimes the program is unmounted but a lot of the files are left around - perhaps the bookmarks are still there. That's not too likely though, so unless you used the chrome sync feature like jhan mentioned, I think you're SOL.

jim1 says thanks to tungo89 for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 07:15 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If you're signed into your google account on chrome, I'm pretty sure google saves your bookmarks somehow... I went into mine and only found 3 though..

I found this random weird sims 2 schindler's list video in my bookmarks.. :S

jim1 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 08-11-2012 at 07:27 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Thanks a lot for the help When I tried accessing chrome this morning (I knew it was not gonna work and tell me that I have to install chrome again), I was able to go on :o No clue how! Clearly my laptop is messed up lol.

I am getting a new laptop before September, and no, it's not going to be HP I think I am gonna go for Lenovo.

I noticed that many of you said that I should log into my Google account...the only Google related account that I have is the mcmaster email.
Old 08-11-2012 at 07:42 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the help When I tried accessing chrome this morning (I knew it was not gonna work and tell me that I have to install chrome again), I was able to go on :o No clue how! Clearly my laptop is messed up lol.

I am getting a new laptop before September, and no, it's not going to be HP I think I am gonna go for Lenovo.

I noticed that many of you said that I should log into my Google account...the only Google related account that I have is the mcmaster email.
You're living in modern times and don't have a real google account? Sheesh!
Old 08-11-2012 at 08:54 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You're living in modern times and don't have a real google account? Sheesh!
Lol yea I am used to hotmail and yahoo now, don't wanna waste time and get used to something else, although I am starting to get the hang of the new mac email, not sure if it's similar to a real google account. Besides, I have lots of accounts now, adding a new one is just too much.

I actually considered getting a google account because I heard you get less spam on your account and it looks more professional (especially when applying for a job). I am still using my hotmail account that I got back in grade 9, and the email is pretty embarrassing for a guy my age lol
Old 08-13-2012 at 08:24 AM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Lol yea I am used to hotmail and yahoo now, don't wanna waste time and get used to something else, although I am starting to get the hang of the new mac email, not sure if it's similar to a real google account. Besides, I have lots of accounts now, adding a new one is just too much.

I actually considered getting a google account because I heard you get less spam on your account and it looks more professional (especially when applying for a job). I am still using my hotmail account that I got back in grade 9, and the email is pretty embarrassing for a guy my age lol
You can also set it up so all the email from your other accounts gets sent to your google one... nice way of consolidating a bunch of random accounts I get 0 spam in my inbox, its all trapped in the spam folder.

jim1 says thanks to RyanC for this post.