Windows Live Messenger Beta jhan523 Computers & Tech 22 08-25-2010 02:23 PM

RIP MSN messenger

Old 01-10-2013 at 08:43 PM   #1
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

RIP MSN messenger
Quote:
We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

Source: The MSN email I got
Edit: additional source: http://www.todayonline.com/Technolog...wn-on-March-15

To me this is sad news. I've bared with the crappy updates from MSN Messenger->Windows live. I still loved Msn 11.x and even now still prefer msn compared to skype (skype does feature "better" vid calling, time stamped messages, etc) but overall to me MSN is still the best for me. I'm going to dread the March 15 when MSN shuts down and it's only skype left.

Random funny story. I met someone and asked for their MSN. They asked what's that? I feel so old......
Old 01-10-2013 at 08:49 PM   #2
billyc59
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I use pidgin.

Andrew A likes this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 10:19 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

MSN was aweful. Good riddance. Only use skype anyways.

Old 01-10-2013 at 10:35 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I stopped using msn few years ago. I only go there when i am really bored, i noticed that only 2 people still go there...everyone else left it after high school lol
Skype is much better, i use it all the time.
Old 01-10-2013 at 10:37 PM   #5
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
MSN was aweful. Good riddance. Only use skype anyways.

Skype is awful. Only use Steam anyway.

((I really don't like Skype - I used to like MSN until Hotmail went from bad to worse. ))

faithcry says thanks to Zachary for this post.
Old 01-10-2013 at 11:14 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

MSN kind of shot themselves in the foot when they were popular so it was bound to happen. I found skype runs a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
Skype is awful. Only use Steam anyway.
Really? Steam gives me and my friend such a hard time setting up and working consistently that we use skype in the background while we play
Old 01-11-2013 at 12:49 AM   #7
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
MSN kind of shot themselves in the foot when they were popular so it was bound to happen. I found skype runs a lot better.

Really? Steam gives me and my friend such a hard time setting up and working consistently that we use skype in the background while we play
Oh, don't take me entirely seriously. I just don't like Skype arbitrarily - I've not really got a reason for it. As far is Steam is concerned, I've never had an issue at all, which is interesting. A friend of mine used to wrestle consistently with Steam so it makes me wonder if such issues are localised to certain machines.
Old 01-13-2013 at 01:02 AM   #8
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Aye. 'Tis a sad time, Irish.
Old 01-13-2013 at 01:08 AM   #9
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Definitely sad news. Msn days were the best although I barely every use it now. Many friendships formed over msn for me. Msn provided privacy and fun together, which is something Facebook lacks. I feel that relationships and interactions formed over msn were much more real and meaningful than Facebook or any other social media. Skype - it's still not popular as Msn once was. Oh well, everything has a life.

aurocks14, jim1 like this.
Old 01-13-2013 at 01:19 AM   #10
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Definitely sad news. Msn days were the best although I barely every use it now. Many friendships formed over msn for me. Msn provided privacy and fun together, which is something Facebook lacks. I feel that relationships and interactions formed over msn were much more real and meaningful than Facebook or any other social media. Skype - it's still not popular as Msn once was. Oh well, everything has a life.
It's a new world now. People don't really sit on their computers all day waiting for something to happen. It's all about phones and facebooks. Now that MSN is going, I doubt anyone but dinosaurs like us will miss it.
Old 01-13-2013 at 11:54 AM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

I used msn quite a bit but then with some update that happened or for some unknown reason a few months ago all of my contacts got wiped, and it wouldnt sync with my email contacts. what's weird is that my friends can still see me in thier contact list and when i log in i appear on line for them, but i cant see anyone in my contacts list, and i dont get their messages. so i quit. now its fb and texting