MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Jul 26 : Railway Robots Road Trip Chad Daily Game 0 07-26-2011 04:09 AM
Copa América Final cjdzl General Discussion 12 07-24-2011 06:12 PM
Science Society Mystery Road Trip temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-29-2010 08:28 PM
Cults of North America Katia Academics 18 01-06-2010 08:17 PM
North America = One Nation? lorend Misc 0 01-26-2008 01:13 PM

Road Trip to South America

Old 11-26-2012 at 10:54 PM   #1
youdontknow

Liked: 7 Times

Road Trip to South America
Have you ever wanted to go on a long vacation and take a road trip down from Canada all the way to Chile/Brazil/Argentina/etc? What a journey that would be, encountering so many people, cultures, sceneries, and places. Have you ever wanted to do this all by car?

Too bad, you can't. There is an undeveloped strip between Panama and Columbia called the Darien Gap. It is occupied by marshland and forests, with several aboriginal reserves. Currently, there is NO road crossing it, and there is little will to build one. The environment is very sensitive, and there is ongoing guerrilla warfare. The only way across by car is to ship your car across and to take a flight to Columbia. A ferry service used to exist to carry people across from Panama, but it was shut down in 1997.

PhilM, Yogurt like this.
Old 11-26-2012 at 11:00 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Well that was just depressing...

Old 11-26-2012 at 11:28 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

There's even cooler road trips discussed on the net. One of the longest routes on google maps is from the southern tip of South Africa to this remote North Eastern region of Siberia. Check it out.

Then there's something like the Mongol Rally from England to Mongolia: Fairly average citizens even compete in this. Adventure like no other! You have a few options for getting there, but no matter what, you pass through VASTLY different regions.

Then there's the guy that's trying to walk from the southern tip of South America to England, without any means of transportation. He crossed Alaska, but then Russia gave him some trouble. What you have to realize about this feat is that it isn't necessarily continuous. If he breaks from the trip, he has to start right back where he was: That's all. He's been going at this attempt for years! There's some documentaries on him, especially as he treks through dangerous terrain in Northern and Central Russia where you can only safely walk in the coldest months of winter (ironic, right?)

Yea. There's tonnes of cool stuff like that.

Marooner likes this.
Old 11-26-2012 at 11:29 PM   #4
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Well that was just depressing...
What are you talking about? I found the post informative and, reading between the lines, I can see a chance for action and adventure.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 11-26-2012 at 11:31 PM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I got lured into the idea of a sweet ass road trip and then BAM... nope.

alyssarr likes this.
Old 11-26-2012 at 11:40 PM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

There is no point to this post... road trip to south america? how about "i want everyone to be as depressed as OP feels right now"

Marooner, Zebedee like this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 04:20 AM   #7
Meffert

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Actually, it's not an impossible trip, many people have done it before:

http://drivetosouthamerica.c om/

Yes, there is a section that you can't drive through, it's called the Darian Gap, but what people do is ship their vehicles from one side to the other.

Also related, someone made from Los Angeles to the Panama Canal using public transportation, and made a video series of his trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tH4h...e=plp p_video

Last edited by Meffert : 11-27-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2012 at 06:06 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I was expecting you to link to some website to help fund this magical non-developed road, to be honest... lol

This thread is so random.

Zebedee says thanks to RyanC for this post.

alyssarr, Zebedee like this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 07:03 AM   #9
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

I really wanted to use this gif

youdontknow likes this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 09:16 AM   #10
youdontknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
There is no point to this post... road trip to south america? how about "i want everyone to be as depressed as OP feels right now"
I like being informative.

Anyways, if you wish, you can hike through the Darien Gap. Nobody is stopping you.
Old 11-27-2012 at 09:19 AM   #11
youdontknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffert View Post
Yes, there is a section that you can't drive through, it's called the Darian Gap, but what people do is ship their vehicles from one side to the other.
I already knew that. But you still can't drive all the way. So it would be 2 road trips, not one.
Old 11-27-2012 at 09:48 AM   #12
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

We could take a boat all the way...
Old 11-27-2012 at 09:58 AM   #13
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Well i volunteer the informative OP to make the drive, and have fun in the guerilla warefare

youdontknow likes this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 03:13 PM   #14
youdontknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I was expecting you to link to some website to help fund this magical non-developed road, to be honest... lol

This thread is so random.
I support a single railway line through the gap. Between the UK and France, there is a train that allows cars to come aboard. I hope Panama and Colombia can do the same.
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:56 AM   #15
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontknow View Post
I support a single railway line through the gap. Between the UK and France, there is a train that allows cars to come aboard. I hope Panama and Colombia can do the same.
UK and France has the money and economical reasons to build Euro tunnel. Does Panama & Colombia got the same?

Some say, out of all high speed railroads, the Eurostar (the train service that uses the tunnel) is one of the two highspeed railroad that actually makes profit.