MacInsiders Logo

SC2 Withdrawal...

Old 06-17-2010 at 05:43 PM   #16
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

starcraft 2 only looks like warcraft 3 when you play it in the lowest settings possible, but once its in medium or higher it looks just as a successor to starcraft should look like
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:54 PM   #17
zeChinaman

Liked: 7 Times

i think the people on the sc2 project in blizzard are trying the best they can in the face of immense pressure from activision and their ceo, who seems to embody everything wrong with big game publishers :(
Old 06-17-2010 at 06:02 PM   #18
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

"The engine they used looks a lot like warcraft 3"

I can see the point you're trying to make with this, but it's more of a design choice and I don't see how it makes the game not worth buying.

"Also the population limit is, in my opinion, not sufficient. "

Lol, let me guess: you're the kind of guy who likes to mass carriers or something?

" There also isn't a large variety of units - they removed the dark archon (Come on, seriously!?)."

They also removed the lurker, lawl =(
Keep in mind that the two expansions are going to add units - I'm not saying it's a good thing to remove units from SC1 just to add them back into the expansions, I know it's a cop-out, but I'm just saying new units will be added. Also note (I believe) the expansions will be priced as expansions and not new games. So it's not like another $60 for each of the two, it will probably be $30 each. Or so I hope.

And it's funny how out of all your complaints, you didn't seem to mind the one thing that everyone else is raging out: Bnet 2.0.

Anyway, on topic, I'm playing older games but I'm pissed and just wasting my time with them because I want to play SC2. And I hope the beta comes back up soon.
Old 06-17-2010 at 06:07 PM   #19
Ahi88

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
The engine they used looks a lot like warcraft 3. The battlecruisers and carriers are like the size of the damn siege tanks, and when you zoom in, it just looks so fake. The battlecruiser is hovering so low and marines seem so bloody large in size. At least do some justice and remove the zoom-in capability. Also the population limit is, in my opinion, not sufficient. There also isn't a large variety of units - they removed the dark archon (Come on, seriously!?). Overall it just seems like they slacked off, and are seeking to make a few extra bucks since WoW is going down hill, and they're spending a huge sum of their money on the movie. Quiet frankly, I've played the beta since the first day and I'm not gonna buy the game. Another thing I hate is that when the game is released, you can only play the terran campaign, and you'll have to buy the subsequent protoss and zerg campaigns when they're released later on. I'm more looking forward to Diablo 3.

Really?? This is why SC2 sucks?!
Units look fake when you zoom in (in a game focused on competitive multiplayer, so would you buy it if they removed zoom?) and you think the population limit is not sufficient (the cap should be lower??). They [Blizzard] slacked off, yet the "issues" you give were the same, or worse in the first game. Yet StarCraft 1 sold over 11 million copies.

It sounds like you just plain don't like RTS, and are bad at it (you can't possibly be good and not know why unit size matters). If you really just want good graphics, go watch a movie. And if you want right proportions, go outdoors.

I don't know what you're a prodigy of, but I'll be taking your opinions with a grain of salt.

Old 06-17-2010 at 07:44 PM   #20
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I'm trying to pass the time with Bad Company 2 but it isn't really working, I'll just have to bide my time until early July.

Old 06-17-2010 at 08:10 PM   #21
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Never, game is coming out late July. Btw can't wait to get it, looks sick, although the original wasn't that good imo (just me bitching aoout graphics cause I tried it first like a year ago).
Old 06-17-2010 at 08:14 PM   #22
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Never, game is coming out late July. Btw can't wait to get it, looks sick, although the original wasn't that good imo (just me bitching aoout graphics cause I tried it first like a year ago).
Beta phase 2 is starting early July (at least that's the rumor), and yeah I have to agree that unit pathways in SC1 were absolute shit.

Old 06-17-2010 at 10:42 PM   #23
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Yup, once sc2 comes out, good bye engineering, hello full time starcraft 2 player

Old 06-18-2010 at 12:17 AM   #24
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahi88 View Post
Really?? This is why SC2 sucks?!
Units look fake when you zoom in (in a game focused on competitive multiplayer, so would you buy it if they removed zoom?) and you think the population limit is not sufficient (the cap should be lower??). They [Blizzard] slacked off, yet the "issues" you give were the same, or worse in the first game. Yet StarCraft 1 sold over 11 million copies.

It sounds like you just plain don't like RTS, and are bad at it (you can't possibly be good and not know why unit size matters). If you really just want good graphics, go watch a movie. And if you want right proportions, go outdoors.

I don't know what you're a prodigy of, but I'll be taking your opinions with a grain of salt.
Yep, pretty much all of what I've said sums up the reasons as to why I'm not going to purchase this game. As I've said before, this game genuinely sucks. From gameplay to graphics, it is a complete let down and a disgrace to 'real' RTS. I'm glad I got into the beta and got first-hand experience of what this game was like, otherwise I would've made a total blunder of purchasing this crap. I'm sorry if what I said touched a nerve, but the truth hurts sometimes.
Old 06-18-2010 at 12:21 AM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol, so, do tell, what do you consider 'real' RTS if not the sequel to the greatest RTS game ever created?

But I agree with you totally. Because in battle, I don't actually like having a view where I can see everything that's going on, and focus on keeping my APM up by micro-ing and macro-ing. Instead, I like zooming in to see whether the seige tanks and battle cruisers are equal in size or not. And they've failed my test.
Old 06-18-2010 at 12:22 AM   #26
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol, so, do tell, what do you consider 'real' RTS
He prolly considers things like the civilization stage in Spore real RTS.

XD
Old 06-18-2010 at 06:58 AM   #27
Ahi88

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Yep, pretty much all of what I've said sums up the reasons as to why I'm not going to purchase this game. As I've said before, this game genuinely sucks. From gameplay to graphics, it is a complete let down and a disgrace to 'real' RTS. I'm glad I got into the beta and got first-hand experience of what this game was like, otherwise I would've made a total blunder of purchasing this crap. I'm sorry if what I said touched a nerve, but the truth hurts sometimes.
I never disagreed that there's something wrong with SC2, for you to bring me the truth. I was simply baffled by your reasons as to why; they're like of a child.

Don't say the most ridiculous things and apologize having struck a nerve. The only thing that hurts is your cognitive ability; or truth, whatever you want to call it.
Old 06-18-2010 at 07:18 AM   #28
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Oh no, they removed the Dark Archon! No one used the damn things anyways, except for Mind Control (which the Zerg now has in the Infestor).

Now I admit SC2 has omitted some new features that have been staples in other games (Supreme Commander, Dawn of War etc.), but really I think you can have different "flavours" of RTS. They tried to implement cover systems and things, and decided it didn't feel StarCraft-y enough. Considering the ONE AND ONLY game I reliably play from year to year is STARCRAFT, I'm fine with them not changing what wasn't broken.

Of any RTS, StarCraft has the most wind behind its sails in staying power. The pro scene is HUUUUGE in Korea, years and years after release of the original. Clearly they must be doing something right, especially with many top Brood War players already moving on to SC2 in the beta.
Old 06-18-2010 at 12:53 PM   #29
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahi88 View Post
I never disagreed that there's something wrong with SC2, for you to bring me the truth. I was simply baffled by your reasons as to why; they're like of a child.

Don't say the most ridiculous things and apologize having struck a nerve. The only thing that hurts is your cognitive ability; or truth, whatever you want to call it.
It's funny you speak of cognitive ability. You couldn't even comprehend the simple statement "population limit is not sufficient". No, it does not mean the cap should be lower smart alec. I'm not going to argue over a game with you, there are more critical things to do in life (well, at least for me). You're not in high school anymore, here you need to be receptive of things. If you can't do that, then higher learning isn't for you. But the way you type, and seeing how easily hostile you can become, I'd say you're not mature enough for University yet. Take a year off, work, and come back with an open mind.

Last edited by Mr.Prodigy : 06-18-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2010 at 12:55 PM   #30
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
It's funny you speak of cognitive ability. You couldn't even comprehend the simple statement "population limit is not sufficient". No, it does not mean the cap should be lower smart alec. I'm not going to argue over a game with a freshman. You're not in high school anymore, here you need to receptive of things. If you can't do that, then higher learning isn't for you. But the way you type, and seeing how easily hostile you can become, I'd say you're not mature enough for University yet. Take a year off, work, and come back with an open mind.
*Snap*