MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 3rd year Enviro Sci course or 3rd year psych courses easier? lovekblue Academics 2 02-28-2013 09:12 AM
Does anyone have Last year or previous year Tests? for Bio1M03, Chem 1A03, lalalola2011 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-06-2012 01:17 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

For the second year.,..

Old 06-24-2014 at 10:56 AM   #1
Marvelous

Liked: 0 Times

For the second year.,..
I am not sure if I have to choose specific courses when I go to my next year. I am part of social sciences course, and here's what I am looking for:
  • Is there any mandatory point system I should have in this year like my last year?
  • Are there specific classes that I should take?
  • Am I allowed to take courses from the first year?
If you can answer me this, thank you.
Old 06-24-2014 at 12:39 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Are you staying in the regular Social Sciences stream? You should have picked a specific program back in April. You are allowed to take first year courses.

I STRONGLY recommend that you go see an academic advisor in the Social Science faculty for some help here because you don't seem to know much about second year at all.

They have drop in hours Monday-Thursday from 1:00pm to 3:30pm in Kenneth Taylor Hall (KTH), Room 129.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2014 at 06:53 PM   #3
kevin2016

Liked: 0 Times

Hi there. I believe that you can find this information on the Faculty of Social Sciences website which is
https://www.socialsciences.mc master.ca/.

Here is the link to the Faculty of Social Sciences in the 2014/15 undergraduate calendar too. This should explain all the regulations and what for the faculty and programs in it. Scroll down to where it says academic regulations and it says I believe a 5.0 CA is required to move on from Level I to Level II. Then it says to continue beyond Level 2 to Level 3, a 5.5 CA or more. Then to move onto Level Iv (4th year), a 6.0 CA is required. CA just implies cumulative average- so they take all of your grades that you've got from all the years you've been there, and average that out. So as long as you maintain these grades for each year you should be good. Hopefully this has helped.

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...7& navoid=562
Old 06-24-2014 at 07:50 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

They usually have a breakdown of what courses you need to take each year and which one. Normally you should follow it but you could switch stuff around and take fewer electives and more core courses as long as you have prereq
Old 06-24-2014 at 08:33 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous View Post
I am not sure if I have to choose specific courses when I go to my next year. I am part of social sciences course, and here's what I am looking for:
  • Is there any mandatory point system I should have in this year like my last year?
  • Are there specific classes that I should take?
  • Am I allowed to take courses from the first year?
If you can answer me this, thank you.
You ALWAYS have to choose specific courses. If you're going into second year then you're doing this late; SOLAR should have already opened last week for you.

I have no idea what you mean by "mandatory point system".

Every program has some mandatory courses; so yes there are certain courses you should take. What these courses are depends on the program you're in in level 2 (i.e., your major...the program you were in last year is irrelevant).

As was already said, you can take 1st year courses, but there's usually a maximum number of units of first-year courses you can take that count towards your degree. I can't remember offhand, but for a 4-year program it's 40-something units overall.

I agree with ashleighp's suggestion that you see an advisor. You seem to be really confused and behind in terms of getting registered and picking courses for this year.