MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year Msc Student librakhan Introduce Yourself 0 08-22-2010 05:38 PM
who is living in brandon and is a first year student? zee.u Brandon Hall Forum 1 08-20-2010 09:02 PM
HELP!!! the clueless 2nd year student jimimusic Academics 3 08-19-2010 04:14 PM
Help With 1st Year New Student Card Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-07-2010 02:57 PM
Hi... 1st year MBA student reed.gz Introduce Yourself 7 07-05-2010 10:31 AM

Second Year Course for First Year Student?

Old 08-18-2008 at 11:51 AM   #1
tammy37

Liked: 1 Time

Second Year Course for First Year Student?
I'm a first year student and I will be taking a second year religions course. When I was picking my courses I chose 2Q03 because it seemed easy and didnt have any prerequisites anyway. But now I'm having second thoughts because it's not a first year course. So I'm wondering would the essays and workload be more difficult than that of a first years? and would the profs not be as lenient as the ones for first year courses? Thank you in advance
Old 08-18-2008 at 11:57 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I wouldn't suggest it.

You are taking a second year course, which means you will be subject to the marking level of second year courses: you are offered less mistakes and the marking is much more difficult. Also, you're expected to know any first year material from that course, and since you likely will not you're already at a disadvantage.

there is a jump in difficulty of university classes. second year is much harder than first, and fourth year is much harder than the rest.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-18-2008 at 12:05 PM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I think taking a course a year higher presents a lot of challenges. I took a 4th year geo when I was in 3rd year (H. Bio)... it was tough =/

As a first year, I think it would be harder b/c you won't be completely use to the way university works both in terms of how classes are taught and the time management (no offence... I had problems adjusting too!). Jumping into a 2nd year course, profs would assume that you're already use to uni life... IMO
Old 08-18-2008 at 01:26 PM   #4
tammy37

Liked: 1 Time

Thank you!!
I just changed it to Peace Studies 1A03
I hope thats a good choice

Ohhhh and one more question (sorry for asking so many but this site is really helpful)........do you know what those random white lines in the timetables mean?? Some timetables have them some dont......mine have a few white bars in some green areas and im not sure why theyre there.

Last edited by tammy37 : 08-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2008 at 01:45 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

They don't mean anything...they're just computer graphic errors.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement