MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year engineering cut offs level downinglee Academics 15 05-31-2011 06:15 PM
2011 Engineering Level II Program Cut-offs* HelloThere__ Academics 7 03-30-2011 06:36 PM
Biology Level II Cut-offs RememberTwce Academics 27 03-24-2011 01:21 PM
Engineering Level Cut-offs* kanishka MacInsiders Announcements 72 11-28-2010 11:17 PM

Second Year Engineering Cut-offs

Old 06-10-2012 at 02:14 PM   #1
_nc1

Liked: 0 Times

Second Year Engineering Cut-offs
Hi, I'm going into Engineering level I next year and I'm really worried about the cut-offs for specialization programs in second year as well as just dropping out of engineering completely after first-year. So I have two questions:

1) How often do you hear of people not getting into the specific stream of engineering they wanted? If this happened to you, could you tell me your experience and how you dealt with it?

2) How often do you hear of people just completely dropping out of engineering after first-year due to the sheer difficulty? Once again, if this happened to you could you share your experience?
Old 06-10-2012 at 02:21 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Pretty much all of my friends got into everything they wanted for engineering. From what I saw and was told by them, the courses weren't difficult. They just needed to spend time to do well especially since you guys take 12 courses. I had one friend drop out, but he partied all the time, played skyrim, watched hockey, and did nothing related to his studies really. The other engineers I knew didn't find the content difficult. As an engineer, they had many midterms/assignments due around the same time and this is what you will experience too. They just didn't wait until the last day to study or do a project. And most of em kept up with the work every week for math.
Old 06-10-2012 at 02:23 PM   #3
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

1# I do know of few people who have not got into their choice of program, a handful maybe. Most of them have. I was fortunate to get into my first choice. So i wouldn't be able to share with you my experience as it was all positive !! Honestly, it entirely depends on how bad you want to get into your program. if u are really determined, u will make it in. Different programmes have their respective cut-off.

2# I am unaware of the number of people who have completely dropped out from first year, but yes, i do know of few who have dropped courses claiming they were the " hardest " courses taken. !!!
Old 06-10-2012 at 02:41 PM   #4
Dobby

It's all supply and demand and changes from year to year, I know a small number of people who dropped out of eng, but I believe they either switched into B-tech or math and stats. The only programs that anyone I know didn't get accepted to were management and biomedical unless they ended up dropping a course to do it over the summer.

Just figure out if its what you love to do from the get go, if you have zero motivation to do anything in first year, I don't think it'll get much better and you're just wasting your time. You'll get higher grades if you end up doing what you love. That being said, I wasn't a fan of first year but getting into my desired second year program is getting me really excited to go back in september.

With all that being said, if you don't make it into your first choice program at the end of the year try not to freak out. Just stay positive and work hard, theres always a chance that you could switch into the program of your choose (with high enough grades) or it may turn out that you love the program you got put into regardless.

Good luck in September!
Old 06-10-2012 at 03:38 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

For second year cutoffs it changes year to year. Typically Management, Civil and Elec-Biomed are the highest. That said if you try hard and hold your highschool average you will be pretty much guaranteed anything. According to our associate Dean over 80% of students get their first choice and over 90% get their first, second or third. Those who do not get it tend to be sitting near a 60% average and are near the point of being kicked out anyways.

This year had the lowest failure rate in year 1 for quite some time and next year there will be a new program that acts as a safety net and allows you to re-take an accelerated first term math/chem/physics courses if you failed those in first term which should drop the failure rates further.
Old 06-10-2012 at 07:47 PM   #6
_nc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
For second year cutoffs it changes year to year. Typically Management, Civil and Elec-Biomed are the highest. That said if you try hard and hold your highschool average you will be pretty much guaranteed anything. According to our associate Dean over 80% of students get their first choice and over 90% get their first, second or third. Those who do not get it tend to be sitting near a 60% average and are near the point of being kicked out anyways.

This year had the lowest failure rate in year 1 for quite some time and next year there will be a new program that acts as a safety net and allows you to re-take an accelerated first term math/chem/physics courses if you failed those in first term which should drop the failure rates further.
Is this similar to Queen's J-Section?
Old 06-11-2012 at 12:04 AM   #7
HeatNylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post

Where did you hear about that last part, about retaking courses?
Old 06-11-2012 at 03:05 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

That's the engineering policy. They allow you to retake it in summer school. However, those marks don't count toward your second year entrance. Say you failed a math course, got a 0. that 0 is still factored in toward your eligibility to say mechanical engineering. But second year requires you to pass all 1st year courses. Even though you failed, it will just lower your average for 2nd year acceptances. As long as you pass it in the summer you can go on to second year.