MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What building is this? mms17892 Academics 5 09-13-2010 09:24 AM
Building GS 101 Erika0909 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-06-2010 05:30 PM
Where is building T13? Jess.Wilson First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-31-2008 02:38 PM
Liberal Arts Grant lorend Misc 0 11-06-2007 10:11 AM

Seeking Student Support for the Wilson Building (new Liberal Arts Building)

Old 10-30-2010 at 01:49 PM   #15
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie
Program: Honours English and History
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 521 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
"The Wilson Building will provide room for 1,000 additional undergrads, nearly 400 new graduate students"

Which means. the year its completed, well see an additional 1500 undergrads and 550 new graduate students.

This school is too damn busy, too full. Especially now that certain areas are basically owned by tiny programs.

This
Old 10-30-2010 at 01:49 PM   #16
azeuza
Year: Other

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Outside of Thode, It's an extension to the Tandem Accelerator building.. i.e. the Nuclear Reactor Building. Update here.
actually, the extension to the Tandem Accelerator Building is a different project that has yet to begin (probably will in the next few weeks)... the one they are currently building is an annex for the Nuclear Research Building, they are also changing one of the boilers in the E.T. Clarke Centre (the one with parking and security offices)
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-30-2010 at 01:52 PM   #17
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member
Program: Honours Life Sciences
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS! 2011/2012 Mckay 2010, Hedden 2009

Liked: 96 Times
why do we need more eng buildings they already have like 2 or 3, we already have the artz quad we dont really need more we need to fix our crapp school first, not jusst build more useless crap try investing in some new microscopes mac
Old 10-30-2010 at 01:54 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
This school is too damn busy, too full. Especially now that certain areas are basically owned by tiny programs.
When I entered Mac in 2004 I'm pretty sure my first year class was 4000. I believe last year the first year class was 5500.

Who says the university isn't a massive corporation trying to profit off of students?

That being said, however, Mac needs another building. A lot of the classrooms in the arts quad need to be replaced, this would help with that AND hopefully allocate more space for other programs.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-30-2010 at 02:14 PM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
When I entered Mac in 2004 I'm pretty sure my first year class was 4000. I believe last year the first year class was 5500.

Who says the university isn't a massive corporation trying to profit off of students?

That being said, however, Mac needs another building. A lot of the classrooms in the arts quad need to be replaced, this would help with that AND hopefully allocate more space for other programs.
I agree, we definitely need more buildings. Problem is whenever there's a new building, the university feels the need to bring in more students.
Old 10-30-2010 at 02:25 PM   #20
Mahratta
Elite Member
Program: -

Liked: 366 Times
^ To be fair, the massive programs (life science, engineering) already have relatively high acceptance averages.

Anyway, this is good - the arts are neglected at Mac.
Kicking the iScis out of Thode would be great - then math students would get some space at Hamilton Hall. There's been an infestation of engineers recently

Last edited by Mahratta : 10-30-2010 at 02:33 PM.

stevenmm likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 02:45 PM   #21
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 421 Times
Quote:
Wouldn't building a new building actually detract from fixing up the arts quad? The university is only going to allocate so much money to classrooms for the arts- if they spend that money on a new building it means it won't get spent on renovating the arts quad. If they get funding for both I suppose that isn't an issue, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Or did you mean they can put the classes that would otherwise use classrooms from the arts quad in the new building?
Old 10-30-2010 at 06:01 PM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 360 Times
Two random things: The Funding would also be used to fix up the current Arts Quad only if we get a specific amount from the government.

#2 It is supposed to be a teaching intensive building(As compared to the new ETB which is more research intensive) and it'll have various sizes of class rooms with the latest collaborative learning and teaching technology. Hence according to what I heard it'll be open to all faculties and classes to conduct classes in.

It is called the Liberal arts building because it'll house the specific offices of various Liberal Arts Departments.

The University is definitely not planning on capping enrollment with exponentially rising demand; there will be additional students in coming years irregardless of our building this.

Lastly, the majority of funding is coming from two sources: #1 A $10 Million Dollar from Mr Wilson and other potential donors in future. #2 Capital Infrastructure funding from the Provincial Government.

With the latter the issues is that it has very low scope for using that allotted funding(which isn't allotted for anything other then "new" infrastructure anyways) for "repairing" or upgrading existing infrastructure.

Please pay specific attention to the last line and understand why Mac can't use that money on existing buildings; And then potentially support us in this letter writing campaign! Thanks!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-30-2010 at 06:04 PM.

lorend says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

arathbon, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 06:46 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
^ To be fair, the massive programs (life science, engineering) already have relatively high acceptance averages.
I think a lot of that honestly has something to do with changes to the curriculum over the past five or so years, and the just-canceled policy where students could hand in all of their work the last day of the term without being deducted late marks (No Child Left Behind?). I find it questionable that so many more students have marks that are that much higher than in previous years.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-30-2010 at 08:26 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson View Post
There are gaming/pcs in a library?

Mac you ****ed up...
They took out HUNDREDS of desks/individual studying spots and replaced it with like 4 Mac computers, TVs and a Wii. Not impressed :(

Joey likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:33 PM   #25
jackiemac
Program: Labour Studies
Year: Third

Liked: 71 Times
Imagine yet another 1500+ people trying to get on MUGSI/SOLAR.... yay!
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:57 PM   #26
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie
Program: Honours English and History
Year: Fourth

Liked: 521 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
Imagine yet another 1500+ people trying to get on MUGSI/SOLAR.... yay!

oh God.
-cries-
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:30 PM   #27
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
I think a lot of that honestly has something to do with changes to the curriculum over the past five or so years, and the just-canceled policy where students could hand in all of their work the last day of the term without being deducted late marks (No Child Left Behind?). I find it questionable that so many more students have marks that are that much higher than in previous years.

Honestly, the curriculum's getting easier every year - I see what my sisters do (one is two years younger and the other four) and can't believe how easy it is compared to what I remember doing.

You don't even have to try anymore. We've moved into a system where people are entitled to go to university and college, instead of being entitled the chance of going.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:37 PM   #28
arathbon
Elite Member
Program: Kinesiology

Liked: 307 Times
I dunno what people are talking about with curriculum getting easier....

My brother is in Grade 8 and doing way more than I remember doing... Although I was in a gifted class and so is he.

I really wouldn't be able to tell for high school either. My high school had a special "self-paced" program and our courses were often set up very differently from other schools. But talking to my friends still in high school I haven't noticed a difference at my old high school.

Part of the problem is EVERYONE wants to go to University.
Old 10-30-2010 at 10:56 PM   #29
mcmasterrrrr
Year: First

Liked: 24 Times
Which library has the ps3's and wii?

I wanna play D:

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search