Selling Textbooks! Laura03 Academics 2 01-04-2010 07:25 PM
Selling Course Textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 15 08-06-2009 05:36 PM
Selling Your Textbooks Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 0 04-09-2008 10:35 PM

Selling off textbooks.

Old 12-23-2008 at 05:24 PM   #1
Kurt_

Liked: 0 Times

Selling off textbooks.
Can any upper-year students recommend the best way to pawn off some of the textbooks I'm never going to touch again to other first years before it's too late?

Is this site best?

Should I lurk around Titles? The Tank?
Old 12-23-2008 at 06:55 PM   #2
raine

Liked: 1 Time

I heard that Titles doesn't even give you 50% for the used books. I'd try facebook.
Old 12-23-2008 at 07:08 PM   #3
Kurt_

Liked: 0 Times

I meant like, lurking outside titles try ing to sell to everyone who's going in.
Old 12-23-2008 at 07:30 PM   #4
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

lol that could work...you can hunt down the classrooms which the courses are held in on registrar and post some flyers there or lurk outside the classroom
Old 12-23-2008 at 09:01 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Yeah, a lot of people post flyers around the buildings that frequent students of that faculty. So if you're looking to sell your physics books put up flyers in ABB not the Arts Quad.

You can also try the Facebook Marketplace although I have never had any luck with that. I had 3 people interested in my books but they never got back to me. You also run the risk of having to go to say Toronto if it's a York student who wants your books. We also have a Marketplace here on MacInsiders!

You will get more interest regarding books around the beginning of next Sept unless you have books that will be needed for next semesters classes... seeing as most classes only run once a year that's a bit iffy.

Old 12-23-2008 at 09:35 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

If you're only in first year now it's not even close to being too late to sell your textbooks. Many courses are only offered in first term so you won't necessarily be able to sell them to someone right now. If you keep the books however you can list them or put up flyers early next year for new first years. Lots of courses use the same books, some don't but many do. Incoming first years will definitely be glad to get deals on textbooks.

I've purchased textbooks through Facebook Marketplace so I'd recommend that option that kokosas posted.

MacInsiders of course also has a Marketplace feature, also mentioned.

If they are using the textbooks again next year the Hole in the Wall isn't really a bad option. I sold a bunch of my first year textbooks early in first term and got a nice chunk of cash. They only take so many of each textbook though, so go early. If they're using a book again they'll give you a good amount for it. If they're no longer using it and they're still taking it you won't get as much, but it's not like you can sell it to anyone anyway if they aren't using it.

Basically you just need to check when the courses that use those books are being offered again. If they are offering them next term you might be able to sell them now, if they aren't offering them again until next year you'll have to hang on to them.

You should be able to get rid of most books and get a decent amount of cash.

I wouldn't suggest lurking, but maybe putting your flyers in the appropriate places.
Old 12-23-2008 at 11:31 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you are selling books back to Titles, you don't get anywhere close to the sale price. You get I think around 25%, and sometimes less.

For example, one of my second year anthro courses had a book that cost about $30 used. When I sold it back I got $3.47.

You can also use UNDERCOVERS!! It is a very under-utilized service at the moment, as it's only been available for about a year. Basically, you give them a book, and the price you want it sold at. You are given a receipt. If someone buys your book, you are to bring in your receipt and you get some cash.

Alternatively...if you're a Welcome Week Rep or CA you can sell your textbooks to first years come September! You're paid in cash and you can set the price!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-12-2009 at 04:45 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

This is a little off-topic but I just wanted to know if any upper years specifically engineers found that they regret selling any of there first year textbooks (ie. Math/Physics) I'm thinking of keeping my first year math textbook just incase it may be useful second year. Is this the case sometimes? Also have any of you found the Titles classified section to be successful at selling your old books? I have a feeling many dont even know about that site.
Old 07-12-2009 at 05:00 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I would also consider Kijiji.ca or Craigslist. Sometimes people there need books for unique reasons and they'll buy it for their kids or because they have a desperate need for that specific book. You could also try eBay. I'm a first year and what I would do if I were you would simply be to talk to some of us on MacInsiders during the first week of school or so and see if we want your material. I think more than the textbooks themselves, IF you threw in a photocopy of your notes, the offer may be a tad bit more inciting causing more people to buy them because to be honest, there will likely be some first years who plan to slack through some courses.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-12-2009 at 05:19 PM   #10
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This is a little off-topic but I just wanted to know if any upper years specifically engineers found that they regret selling any of there first year textbooks (ie. Math/Physics) I'm thinking of keeping my first year math textbook just incase it may be useful second year. Is this the case sometimes?
As someone going into 5th year mech + mgt, I haven't found a need for many of my first year books in later courses. There are a few textbooks that I have gone back to, but you tend to get a feel for what's worth keeping and what is not.

For example, Statics & Dynamics, and Mechanics of Materials are fairly useful books to hold onto - They can be used for other classes (like ME 3E05), and are better than that courses actual text book. The calculus book (Stewart) can also be used again in second year to compliment the second year math book (for vector calc), and is generally a good book to have (and a LOT better than Advanced Engineering Mathematics). Other than those, I prety much sold everything from first year and don't regret it the slightest bit. Keep in mind it would somewhat depend on what branch you're going into next year.

Note: this is all assuming those same books are even used anymore.

Quote:
Also have any of you found the Titles classified section to be successful at selling your old books? I have a feeling many dont even know about that site.
I've sold and bought a few books using the Titles classifieds. People definately use it. I've got 3-4 emails a day sometimes with people wanting to buy books (this is at the beginning of term, with a book that is currently being used in a course). Otherwise, unsurprisingly, theres not much movement.

Last edited by ViktorVaughn : 07-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.

AnguishedEnd says thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:08 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Does it make sense to start selling books now? I'm sure most first years don't even know what books they need, no one does really, since they change textbooks so frequently now and the booklist hasn't come out. So what if someone were to purchase a book from me, and they find out it's not the book that's being used?
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:14 PM   #12
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Does it make sense to start selling books now? I'm sure most first years don't even know what books they need, no one does really, since they change textbooks so frequently now and the booklist hasn't come out. So what if someone were to purchase a book from me, and they find out it's not the book that's being used?
Their SOL haha... but I guess if you were nice you'd give a refund lol.

btw I've already posted all my textbooks here on macinsiders and Titles classifieds do you think thats a bit to early? I know for sure that they will be used next year for example Titles has already ordered 500+ of the same math textbook I have now.

Last edited by Bender : 07-12-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:16 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Well, if they were smart, they would check the booklist ISBN before purchasing their books.

My idiot roommate first year, bought the astro text (when the list was posted) and bought the wrong version. Hahaha.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:17 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Their SOL haha... but I guess if you were nice you'd give a refund lol.
Haha! I'd feel bad so I probably would. Depends though. If it's a poli sci textbook, I'll be like, yeah, sorry I don't want that back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Well, if they were smart, they would check the booklist ISBN before purchasing their books.

My idiot roommate first year, bought the astro text (when the list was posted) and bought the wrong version. Hahaha.
That's classic. Oh man, I bet you teased them like crazy, I know I would.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:20 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Totally. She turned out to be such a scumbag, so I didn't even feel guilty about it later.

I told her multiple times to check the ISBN, so no pity here. :p

feonateresa likes this.