MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

Set on McMaster

Old 06-19-2013 at 08:41 PM   #1
Neechka

Liked: 1 Time

Set on McMaster
Helllo~! (:
I'm looking to get into McMaster as mature student.
I lost my home when I was younger and, therefore, wasn't able to finish my highschool diploma.
However, in the past year I've been working to get my prereqs to apply as a student for the Mathematics/Statistics program.
I've always excelled and loved math. It's my passion.
I'm really set on Mac because I've heard it's one of the best programs in the country.

Anyhow, that's my back story. I was wondering specifically what average I would need to get into the program or basically guarantee myself acceptance. My average for the courses I'm doing run at about a 90 and I want to know if that's good enough for admission here.

I'm half Ojibwe(my application for status is in the mail), so I'm curious if preference would be given on that basis as well?

Also, if anyone responding to this has graduated from the program, what can your tell me about potential future jobs with this degree? I'm thinking of taking Economics as a minor because I heard somewhere a Mathematics degree alone doesn't hold many careers. If there are any other programs I should take to ensure a quality degree, please tell me. I love learning so I'm not picky about what I take.

Thank you.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 06-21-2013 at 12:06 AM   #2
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

I'm pretty sure that mark can get you into mathematics at Waterloo and they have the country's best math faculty! You can definitely get into McMaster with a 90! Good luck, your persistence is awesome!

Neechka says thanks to allanandthera for this post.

ashleighp, Zebedee like this.
Old 06-21-2013 at 06:25 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Aboriginal heritage is given some extra consideration I believe. There are some questions related to it in OSAP, so you may be eligible for scholarships also. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2013 at 07:31 AM   #4
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Aboriginal heritage is given some extra consideration I believe. There are some questions related to it in OSAP, so you may be eligible for scholarships also. Good luck.
Not really sure i agree with them doing that..
Old 06-21-2013 at 07:58 AM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCherry View Post
Not really sure i agree with them doing that..
Not really sure what your reservation might be. McMaster has an upfront policy to encourage diversity in every form, for employment, and probably for admission as well. There's plenty of room for everybody.

As for mature student admission, I believe the standards are a bit more flexible. They're willing to take chances on people that have promise, even if the numbers in the background don't always add up. Something to be said for life experience! If you can convince them that you're willing to work hard, and can provide some tangible evidence of being able to manage successfully, why not?

Neechka says thanks to oldviking for this post.

Commie42, Smexy like this.
Old 06-21-2013 at 10:16 AM   #6
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
Not really sure what your reservation might be. McMaster has an upfront policy to encourage diversity in every form, for employment, and probably for admission as well. There's plenty of room for everybody.

As for mature student admission, I believe the standards are a bit more flexible. They're willing to take chances on people that have promise, even if the numbers in the background don't always add up. Something to be said for life experience! If you can convince them that you're willing to work hard, and can provide some tangible evidence of being able to manage successfully, why not?
Im not trying to say im against diversity at all what im saying is that diversity should not be influenced. In my opinion by making programs or incentives for specific races, genders or classes of people is in itself a form of discrimination to those not receiving the benefits.
I never understood society's desire to have a perfect balance of all races, genders and classes in all areas of society. By looking at a collective group of people, such as a university student body, and judging them/offering incentives based on their racial or ancestral decent, i think that we are a constant source of discrimination. I just think that society classifies people to often as a black person, a native american person, a gay person, a straight person, a white person etc. lose the adjective in front and call them exactly what they are. a PERSON.
Old 06-21-2013 at 10:21 AM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

If you're concerned that a Mathematics degree alone won't be enough, you could try doing Math + Comp Sci since a lot of it is Math, including logic and proof techniques; functions, relations, and sets; counting; trees and graphs (lol copy/paste from 1fc3 )
Old 06-21-2013 at 10:23 AM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Well if you like Math, Eng is an option as well

jim1 likes this.
Old 06-21-2013 at 01:44 PM   #9
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCherry View Post
Im not trying to say im against diversity at all what im saying is that diversity should not be influenced. In my opinion by making programs or incentives for specific races, genders or classes of people is in itself a form of discrimination to those not receiving the benefits.
I never understood society's desire to have a perfect balance of all races, genders and classes in all areas of society. By looking at a collective group of people, such as a university student body, and judging them/offering incentives based on their racial or ancestral decent, i think that we are a constant source of discrimination. I just think that society classifies people to often as a black person, a native american person, a gay person, a straight person, a white person etc. lose the adjective in front and call them exactly what they are. a PERSON.

Ontario Human Rights Commission:
"Organizations can also choose to develop “special programs” to help disadvantaged groups improve their situation. The Code and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms[1] both recognize the importance of dealing with historical disadvantage by protecting special programs to assist marginalized groups. The Supreme Court of Canada has also said special programs should be protected.[2] The Code allows for programs designed to help people who experience hardship, economic disadvantage, inequality or discrimination, and protects these from attack by people who do not experience the same disadvantage."

jamescw1234, yj11 like this.
Old 06-21-2013 at 02:16 PM   #10
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
Ontario Human Rights Commission:
"Organizations can also choose to develop “special programs” to help disadvantaged groups improve their situation. The Code and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms[1] both recognize the importance of dealing with historical disadvantage by protecting special programs to assist marginalized groups. The Supreme Court of Canada has also said special programs should be protected.[2] The Code allows for programs designed to help people who experience hardship, economic disadvantage, inequality or discrimination, and protects these from attack by people who do not experience the same disadvantage."
i don't understand what you're trying to prove by copying this, are you trying to say that native canadians are being discriminated against that's why they get special considerations and rights? i agree with bustercherry here, i never understood why native canadians get special treatment and the rest of canada doesn't. is this to imply that people who migrated to canada are not canadian? even if they have lived here for generations literally, have been brought up here, went to university and work here, how come there are treated differently?

BusterCherry likes this.
Old 06-21-2013 at 02:37 PM   #11
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
i don't understand what you're trying to prove by copying this, are you trying to say that native canadians are being discriminated against that's why they get special considerations and rights? i agree with bustercherry here, i never understood why native canadians get special treatment and the rest of canada doesn't. is this to imply that people who migrated to canada are not canadian? even if they have lived here for generations literally, have been brought up here, went to university and work here, how come there are treated differently?
All i will say on native americans specifically, is that it burns me that there are additional programs in the university to benefit them, when they are already offered free post-secondary education. They are the underpriveleged?
Old 06-21-2013 at 03:54 PM   #12
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
You are making a steep assumption. You said "In my opinion by making programs or incentives for specific races, genders or classes of people is in itself a form of discrimination to those not receiving the benefits." I just posted that to show you the other view. That the human rights commission's take on it is that minorities can be "reverse discriminated". Their argument is that because a large portion of certain minority groups can be quite disadvantaged, then it is considered "okay" that you present them with unique opportunities to counter the disadvantages that are associated with that particular minority group. I'm just trying to show the counterpoint.
Old 06-23-2013 at 12:50 AM   #13
allanandthera

I don't see how any of this bickering on how Natives get special support is helping the original OP in his/her pursuit of their education.
Old 06-23-2013 at 08:11 AM   #14
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I don't see how any of this bickering on how Natives get special support is helping the original OP in his/her pursuit of their education.
i dont get your bickering at the people bickering helps the OP either you sir are snowballing! lol

Commie42 likes this.
Old 06-24-2013 at 01:45 AM   #15
allanandthera

I don't get, how you don't get, how i am bickering at people bickering at other people