MacInsiders Logo

How to set up DC++

Old 09-05-2008 at 09:53 AM   #46
DanLeece

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucc View Post
Hey there guys,

Just wondering if it's possible to use DC++ by plugging in an ethernet cord to my laptop at (for example) the library. Will I be able to access the Mac Hub this way or do I need to be in a dorm to do it? I'm an upper year student and no longer live in residence so I'm hoping there's still a way for me to use DC++ when I'm on campus.
I am currently trying to work out a connection from the third floor of MUSC using a direct ethernet connection into MacConnect. no success just yet with acquiring a connection to machub.dyndns.org :(
Old 09-05-2008 at 10:00 AM   #47
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I don't know why it doesn't work, i'd have to see it. You could try changing clients on revconnect.com. Or look for oDC which is a very old version of DC++.
Old 09-06-2008 at 02:49 PM   #48
DonJuan

Liked: 1 Time

Mine just keeps saying "error creating registry key" and I followed all the instructions
Old 09-06-2008 at 03:01 PM   #49
mitch
Elite Member

Go into settings -> advanced and uncheck "Register with windows to handle magnet: URI links"

Unchecking the other "Register with windows" box wouldn't hurt either.

Try to change connections to passive.

Disable any firewalls that could be preventing a connection.

That's all I can come up with without seeing it.
Old 09-09-2008 at 12:55 PM   #50
Gavin

Hey, I am living off campus. If there are any ethernet ports on campus aside from rez which will let me connect to DC++ please please let me know.

I got nothing on my laptop atm and I need to get any movies / tv series to simply keep me from going mad when I have some free time. Torrents go way too slow at the student house I am living in.

Also, if someone doesnt mind letting me use their ethernet port @ their rez for maybe 30 min, that would be cool.

Thx
Old 09-09-2008 at 01:06 PM   #51
mitch
Elite Member

Problems solved!
Hi all! If you have not been able to set up DC++ on your computer because of error creating registry key or any other problem, I think I've found a solution. Mind you, I've only tried this on Windows computers, so I'm not sure about Macs.
Uninstall DC++.
Download the slighter older version Here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_dc...s /tech/2004/
That should do it! It solved the problem on other computers I tried.
Also, you might have to turn off user account control if you're using Vista before you install it. I don't know if that affects it, but it was uninstalled when I did it.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2008 at 07:15 PM   #52
Mel

I have a mac, so I'm using shakespeer, but I can't connect to the port. can anyone help me??
Old 09-09-2008 at 07:57 PM   #53
DonJuan

My friend gets the error

Connecting to machub.dynds.org...
The requested address is not valid in its context.

Repeatedly, we've done everything correctly.
Old 09-09-2008 at 07:59 PM   #54
mitch
Elite Member

it's machub.dyndns.org

you're missing an "N"
Old 09-12-2008 at 01:07 AM   #55
mmmdert

not valid in its context?
I'm having a similar problem. I've just spent an hour going through posts and my own firewall settings, but all i get is

*** Connecting to machub.dyndns.org ...
*** The requested address is not valid in its context.

I've downloaded the old version as you suggested after uninstalling the new one, but it's the same story.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2008 at 08:55 PM   #56
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

I'm using Shakespeer since I'm a Mac user as well. I tried putting in the address:
machub.dyndns.org
but nothing happens.
Old 09-14-2008 at 10:31 PM   #57
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Im not sure but the minimum share might already be in effect, so you need to share files in order to access.
Old 09-14-2008 at 10:50 PM   #58
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

How much would I need to share. I already put up all my music (over 2000 songs, around 9 GB).
Old 09-14-2008 at 11:23 PM   #59
mitch
Elite Member

You need to be sharing 500 mb. Many of the people in first floor McKay had the same trouble setting up DC on Macs and PCs. I was able to set them all up properly using the instructions provided in this thread. Make sure you read everything carefully. If you really can't get on, I'm always available and can do it very quickly.
Old 11-14-2008 at 02:19 PM   #60
pnzr90

DC++ error
I try to search up stuff but nothing comes up. I also keep getting this error "error creating magnet registry key"
help