MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When Macinsiders was down... e1337 General Discussion 19 04-24-2011 11:05 PM
MacInsiders Get-together ~*Sara*~ General Discussion 126 01-25-2011 12:23 AM
macinsiders ftw! lawleypop General Discussion 48 04-23-2010 08:32 PM
Thank You macinsiders!! etoilex3 General Discussion 56 09-09-2009 05:23 AM
Welcome To MacInsiders! Chad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 02-25-2008 06:31 PM

Sexism, in my Macinsiders?

Old 11-12-2011 at 04:11 PM   #1
robots

Liked: 40 Times

Sexism, in my Macinsiders?
There is an increasing amount of misogynistic and sexist posts on Macinsiders that I find incredibly disgusting and inappropriate. I can't keep seeing them without commenting on how hurtful and triggering they can be to some people. Its not right to target women in the way many posters here do in threads and comments. Could everyone please show some respect and could the MODS please do their jobs to prevent bigotry, prejudice and intolerance on Macinsiders?

Also, responding to this thread (or any other thread for that matter) with misogynist and sexist images, gifs, memes, and videos is not funny, cool or original. It's pathetic and hateful.

Ashlie, Geek, L'Étoile, sinthusized, Yogurt all say thanks to robots for this post.

Old 11-12-2011
Commie8507
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-12-2011 at 04:19 PM  
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I agree. I don't really participate on macinsiders anymore because it is not as inclusive/respectful as it used to be.
Old 11-12-2011 at 04:24 PM   #2
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I suspect that many of these posts are not actually representative of people's values, but all the same it's not too much to ask for a modicum of respect. Maybe I'm just getting soft...

icecubz, ZSimon like this.
Old 11-12-2011 at 04:31 PM   #3
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Beat me to the thread! (No pun intended).

Man, I don't really plan my interactions out or follow rules/stereotypes, I just meet/see each person when I do, and treat them as they treat me, and/or as my conscience dictates.

Like Toast said..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I suspect that many of these posts are not actually representative of people's values, but all the same it's not too much to ask for a modicum of respect. Maybe I'm just getting soft...
But also ..

Some of the people that you see making poor statements like this and like that.... they don't see these interactions often enough due to the friction created in face to face communication by electronics, internet, etc..

Chances are, more often than not, these are not the individuals whom will spontaneously interact with you in the real world.

Be well.
Old 11-12-2011 at 10:51 PM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well this is interesting.

I haven't noticed anything particularly out of the norm. Do you have any examples?

Also, is this something that can't be ignored? Most people used to forums end up reading posts that might be offensive and just skip over them without being affected because they know this is the Internet and that nothing people say online is legitimate. In other words, why bother being bothered?

I find it likely that the people who will agree with your post are not the ones spreading this supposed sexism - the ones who are spreading it are doing it because it's anonymous and because they want to get a rise out of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robots View Post
Also, responding to this thread (or any other thread for that matter) with misogynist and sexist images, gifs, memes, and videos is not funny, cool or original. It's pathetic and hateful.
Yes, it's not original, but that's precisely why they're used so often - they're pre-constructed phrases, ideas and one-liners that others are sure to 'get', but require no effort to obtain. Regardless of the humor value, it's unlikely that these will stop being posted, including potentially offensive ones.

PinkiePie likes this.
Old 11-12-2011 at 11:13 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by robots View Post
There is an increasing amount of misogynistic and sexist posts on Macinsiders that I find incredibly disgusting and inappropriate. I can't keep seeing them without commenting on how hurtful and triggering they can be to some people. Its not right to target women in the way many posters here do in threads and comments. Could everyone please show some respect and could the MODS please do their jobs to prevent bigotry, prejudice and intolerance on Macinsiders?

Please PM me threads in which you feel this took place. Also, for all members reading this, please click on that REPORT button inside the post you feel is violating our strict Code Of Conduct. State why you feel it is breaking the rules, and report any (and all) of the posts in violation of our rules. We hold our standards up high and want to make sure MI is always an inclusive place for everyone.

While the mods do their best to catch things, they are students too just like you... and can't read every post of every thread. So we rely heavily on you, the users, to self-moderate the community.

The way to rid the trolls:
1) Read over the COC so that you have a good understanding of what we tolerate and what we don't. Keep in mind, users can state opinions so if you don't like someone's opinion, or disagree with someone's post then it doesn't necessarily mean it's violating any rules. However, the rules are pretty clear in regards to spam, sexism, trolling, flame bait, useless posts, etc

2) Click REPORT and explain or cite the COC # it is violating, if it's spam just state 'spam'

3) The post gets COLLAPSED defaultly from view and 'hidden' so that readers of the thread see that it may not be nice to read and have to click a link to reveal the original post. If its something nasty that was written then this serves as an instant way for the community to self-moderate the threads and 'warn' other users not to read that post. NOTE: Abuse of this (reporting posts for no reason will result in you getting banned from the forums)

4) The mods are alerted and review the post. If it breaks the rules then it is deleted and the user is given either a warning or an infraction. Infractions are pre-determined flags that are added to a users account and are for breaking the various COC rules. Depending on the severity of the infraction they are worth points (1-3 points). Once you get 3 points the system auto-bans you for a certain amount of time or permanently if you are a repeat offender in a very small amount of time (ie. spammer that has posted lots of spam in a few days). In the case of trolls... if they go and post, in this example, a sexist remark that stirs up a flamewar or is completely off base and users start to respond and they keep doing it... that could be 1-2 posts reported and infractions given. They could then get 3 infractions in a short period of time and be banned right away. If it is a first time user who just didn't read the COC, usually after a first infraction they have understood it is against the rules and stop (in a perfect world). Unfortunately sometimes there are users who do is purely for trolling purposes and enjoy breaking the rules.

As you can see... this relies heavily on you, the user, self-moderating the MI community! So please report posts to help us ban the users causing the problems sooner rather than later ;-)

Note: I haven't seen any reports of sexism come through, so its the first I've seen a complaint thread.
Old 11-13-2011
RyanC
Old 11-13-2011 at 09:07 AM  
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Even though blunt Ryanc has a point. You shouldn't take offense to anything, especially anything online. If you don't like what they say then ignore it. Myself personally I take offense to nothing unless it is a personal attack on myself.

And I've never really seen any overally offensive sexism on macinsiders (the odd joke here and there but nothing warranting a stern look)

If you really think something is so horrible that warrants action then follow Chad's post but I very rarely see that kind of post these days.
Old 11-15-2011 at 03:54 PM   #6
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Robots, can you post some links to these threads? Maybe I don't look at enough threads but I haven't seen any lately

icecubz likes this.
Old 11-18-2011
BillyShears!