MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-02-2010 at 04:21 PM   #1
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Sherlock Holmes
No...Sherlock Holmes wasn't trying to sell me a Christmas card in Thode. :p

I'm talking about the new Sherlock Holmes movie! Has anyone seen it yet? How was it? Is it worth watching? I'm thinking about watching it tomorrow...

No spoilers please! Thanks!

Last edited by Kevin S : 01-02-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2010 at 04:36 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

No, but I'm dying to.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 04:56 PM   #3
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

it was pretty good, although a bit confusing at time, but maybe i'm just slow and the guy speaks too fast lol

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 04:59 PM   #4
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I wanna see it so bad. I'm the biggest Sherlock Holmes fan. I went twice to the movie theaters and it was sold out. :(

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 05:09 PM   #5
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I saw it on Boxing Day. It was really good, i'd definitely recommend it! It was a bit too full of typical fight scenes/special effects for me, but the acting was great. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law are really good in it.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 05:37 PM   #6
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I just went and saw it last night and it was really good!! I wish I could figure things out like Sherlock Holmes!! It's definitely worth going to see!

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 05:51 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

It was good. The dynamic between Downey and Law as Holmes and Sherlock was good, and the plot is interesting (although they did throw in a token Hoo-rah America! moment!). I'd reccomend seeing it.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 06:03 PM   #8
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
I wanna see it so bad. I'm the biggest Sherlock Holmes fan. I went twice to the movie theaters and it was sold out. :(
Ahh same here. Twice at stc, once at first markham place. Every time its been sold out.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 06:04 PM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I walked into the movie expecting I would want to leave it. I am a fan of the books, and the ads had me expecting it would be a terrible action movie. They actually made it really well IMO, loved the way they showed how Holmes thinks. Definitely worth the watch.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 06:33 PM   #10
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

I thought it was a very good movie. My mate on the other hand, slept through some parts because they were too fast-paced for him. All these twists and actions in the movie made it quite exciting, at least for me.

Definitely watch it.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 06:37 PM   #11
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

The only thing I did not like were the couple of talked through fight sequences. Interesting the first time, annoying the second, might have left if there was another.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:01 PM   #12
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

I watched it on 26th and it was good except the fight scenes. Those really annoyed me and managed to kill the awesome movie effect. Anyhow the story was amazing and some things were really cool..but then obviously it's "Sherlock Holmes" you can't expect anything less.

I recommend this movie! =)

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:32 PM   #13
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

It's elementary, my dear Watson! :p

Judging by the responses, it sounds like an awesome movie. I guess I'll go see it tomorrow, thanks guys!

Last edited by Kevin S : 01-02-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2010 at 09:39 PM   #14
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

I just saw it, and it was mediocre. The dialogue between Holmes and Watson got dull pretty quick. I know it would have been a completely different style of movie had they done this, but I was hoping they would have made it with less fight scenes, less attempts at comedy and less extravagant of a story, and made it more of a classic whodunnit mystery.

Also, I just read Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (a really good read), and was wondering if anyone else noticed some ideas being borrowed. The whole thing with mysticism being used for good and evil, and especially the idea of a blurred line between scientific and technological creations with mystic rituals. Even the similarily logical minds of Sherlock Holmes and Robert Langdon revealing, in a world of religious paranoia, that there exists really no difference between what some percieve as miracles and what some percieve as science.

Maybe I'm grasping, but this is what I was thinking about throughout most of the movie, and to me a lot of it seemed eerily similar.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 10:46 PM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

At first the movie was very slow and boring, and it took a while to grow on me - but boy did it grow on me! I always loved how Sherlock's mind works and how he's able to figure things out, and by the end you were like "O_O". But it was rather open ended, and I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel.

Kevin S likes this.