MacInsiders Logo

Should I? How can I? [Common 1st Year questions]

Old 08-30-2011 at 07:10 PM   #1
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Should I? How can I? [Common 1st Year questions]
This is gonna be a thread for First years and their "common" questions.

1. Should I take notes with a laptop or a notebook with pen/paper?
  • Do whatever you feel like. Some people prefer laptop notes, some people prefer the good ol' pen and paper approach.
    This is up to you! Although sometimes taking notes with a pencil has it's benefits (drawing diagrams, equations, etc).

2. Should I attend classes?
  • Stupid question? Yes. Has it be been asked before? Yes. Go to class as you feel. The only person that loses out on not attending, is you.

3. How can I make friends
  • Stop being anti-social. Join clubs, go out for events, make friends in res, class, etc.

4. Should I buy textbooks now? or wait?
  • Usually it is best to attend your first class so your prof can tell you exactly which book you need.

5. How can I get from McMaster to Toronto? and vice versa?

6. Can I get smashed/drunk/stoned on Res

7. Should I get a gym membership? Is it busy?
  • Yes, the Pulse gets quite busy. But is still totally worth it! Go early mornings, late evenings to avoid the Rush.

8. Which Laptop should i buy?
  • You need the laptop with the Intel core i7 processor with 8GB of DDR ram accompanied by a 10000 GIGWATT power supply with ....
  • No. You don't need a powerhouse to run Microsoft word. Stop asking. Anything that isn't running on windows 98 should be fine.

9. How can I meet the opposite gender at Mac? submitted by Arathabon
  • Get involved with things you like to do, don't be afraid to go to various social nights and events, and try sitting next to new people before classes if there's going to be time to talk before. Also if you're a girl apparently not wearing sweatpants helps. Not sure if that's "not wearing" or "not sweatpants" that's the key part.

10. Is it necessary for a color printer, or is black and white sufficient? asked by Galleria
  • Black and white are fine for notes. But if you're doing a report or something that requires a bit of flaire, color is advised. Although, McMaster has a print shop located at the bottom of MUSC (McMaster University Student Centre) called MSU Underground which provides cheap prints!

11. How can I eat well, but stay on a student budget?Feel free to ADD or ASK to the list of "common" questions. I'll update frequently

Last edited by Cliu91 : 08-30-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2011 at 07:24 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Which Laptop Should I Buy?

Grover, icecubz like this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 07:33 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

How do you meet the opposite gender at mac?

Get involved with things you like to do, don't be afraid to go to various social nights and events, and try sitting next to new people before classes if there's going to be time to talk before. Also if you're a girl apparently not wearing sweatpants helps. Not sure if it's "not wearing" or "not sweatpants" that's the key part.

Cliu91 likes this.
Old 08-30-2011 at 07:44 PM   #4
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Is it necessary to have a color printer or is black and white sufficient?