MacInsiders Logo

Should I Re-Dye?

Old 09-17-2010 at 09:10 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Should I Re-Dye?
Hello people

I used L'Oreal Feria Extra Bleach Blond (205) hair dye annnnnnd this what I got:

In my other thread I was told to bleach it and then dye it brown.
So should I dye it brown or keep it?
This is the first time I dyed my hair so no hating please. I realize that the right side of my head is a lot lighter than the rest of my head...

Thank yous

xo.monica, xxsumz like this.
Old 09-17-2010 at 09:11 PM   #2
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Hello people

I used L'Oreal Feria Extra Bleach Blond (205) hair dye annnnnnd this what I got:

In my other thread I was told to bleach it and then dye it brown.
So should I dye it brown or keep it?
This is the first time I dyed my hair so no hating please. I realize that the right side of my head is a lot lighter than the rest of my head...

Thank yous
Looks good. But I think the lighting is making it brighter than it is.

EDIT: Smile now

Last edited by xxsumz : 09-17-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2010 at 09:15 PM   #3
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

you look better with black hair imo
Old 09-17-2010 at 09:24 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Whoa, your hair wasn't like that when I ran into you, was it? If so, I kind of feel bad for not noticing. I generally remember new people by their hairstyle. =\

I think it looks good. You should probably wait for a girl's opinion on whether you should redye though, since I actually know very little about girls' hair and people seem to make fun of my taste in (other peoples') haircuts.
Old 09-17-2010 at 09:29 PM   #5
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Honestly, I think it looks fine and if you do much more to it chemically, you risk damaging it which would leave you with straw-like hair.

I've got a few more years experience in hair colour (like 20), and personally, I'd wait a few weeks and then have a professional help you get to the colour you're desiring.
Old 09-18-2010 at 02:13 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Something I learned after lots of dying my own hair: if its dark, you'll never get anything close to the colour on the box (unless the colour is black). My hair is almost black, but not quite, and so whenever I'd try a colour I'd usually not achieve it.

Dye does tend to fade after a couple of washes, so I would wait a while before you decide to do something else.

Personally, I think your hair looks fine, and even really interesting because you have two distinct tones going on. But I know how frustrated you can be.

I'd say you have two options if you decide you want to try something different: get a stylist to get the colour you want, or get them to use a demi-colour (I think that's what its called? Its between permanent and semi-permanent kinds) and get your hair back to your regular colour. The demi colour will fade a bit over time, but it will look the most natural. If you decide to do the stylist route though, upkeep can cost quite a bit, which is something to keep in mind.

The last time I dyed my hair I used a highlighting kit, which a) turned my hair orange and b) made me look like a tiger. I got my hair fully highlighted (it was about the same length as yours) and I think it cost me around $80 with tip. After about two and a half months I had some really trashy looking roots, so I got the demi colour done (and a cut), and again it cost around $80.

Your hair looks like its black though, so you may be able to do the regular kind of black from a box without any worries.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 09-18-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Desda says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 02:42 AM   #7
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

I think the color's good. But why hide the face? You're already using your face as your avatar (I presume at least).
Old 09-18-2010 at 06:24 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Kinda hard to judge a girl's hair if you can't see her facial features that go along with it.. :/
Old 09-18-2010 at 07:44 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
Honestly, I think it looks fine and if you do much more to it chemically, you risk damaging it which would leave you with straw-like hair.

I've got a few more years experience in hair colour (like 20), and personally, I'd wait a few weeks and then have a professional help you get to the colour you're desiring.
Honestly, doing anything to your hair a few times will NOT damage it as severely as everyone keeps saying it will.

I've bleached my entire head from black hair to blonde and have been keeping it blonde for 3 ~ 4 years now. It's not damaged, it's not straw like, it's not frizzy (except for my natural curls ), etc.

If you really want us to see what it turned out like, take a picture outside. Flash + indoor lighting + average camera is NOT accurate at all, lol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-18-2010 at 09:04 AM   #10
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

hmmm its not bad it looks alrite

Last edited by bloodywarz : 09-18-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2010 at 09:32 AM   #11
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Honestly, doing anything to your hair a few times will NOT damage it as severely as everyone keeps saying it will.

I've bleached my entire head from black hair to blonde and have been keeping it blonde for 3 ~ 4 years now. It's not damaged, it's not straw like, it's not frizzy (except for my natural curls ), etc.

If you really want us to see what it turned out like, take a picture outside. Flash + indoor lighting + average camera is NOT accurate at all, lol.
I said it was a risk, not a certainty. Personally, I have to wait 6 weeks between any chemical process or I cannot get a comb through it after I wash and condition it. You're lucky, I'd love to be able to change my hair whenever I felt like it.
Old 09-18-2010 at 09:59 AM   #12
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

You did not leave the bleach enough time :(

Yes Dye it Brown Now, Like a chestnut brown or metallic brown. But be careful you colored your hair and then bleached it and now you are about to color it again. You need to deep condition it for around 1 hour. Just use a deep conditioning treatment and then you will have nice amazing hair.

BTW you should grow your hair out, it would look way better if its long

Hope you get the results you need

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Desda says thanks to L'Étoile for this post.
Old 09-18-2010 at 10:16 AM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

gota see u first IRL then judge ;D
Old 09-18-2010 at 10:27 AM   #14
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I really like it the way it is!
Old 09-18-2010 at 07:19 PM   #15
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei