MacInsiders Logo

How should I see it?

Old 02-10-2015 at 10:18 PM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

How should I see it?
So, short story long, here it is:

The thing is, after a lot of searching and researching, I have found out that I love EVERYTHING that I study, I mean EVERYTHING. From dynamics and gravity(1D03) to electrical stuff(1E03), to quantum mechanics, to number theory to calculus(1Za/Zb3) to programming(1D04), to chemistry, the list just does not end... To merge these all together, and also get an employable degree at the end, I have searched A LOT.. Gone thoroughly through all the courses in academic calendar, met many professors and researchers in the university, and also talked to some upper years.

Still, I feel like electrical and biomedical might be the way, with focus electives on Quantum Mechanics, as I get to do some chem courses with bio point of view, programming, electrical stuff, and also take tech electives like quantum in 3rd to 4th year..

I only think that the others might be mechatron or software, but they donot have a good reputation at mac, and I dont see the difference between electrical and tron(more software focus, I know)..

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-10-2015 at 10:57 PM   #2
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

In my opinion, it's one thing to sit at home and read the course summary on the undergrad calendar. If you need help narrowing it down, go to the Eng fair this week and ask all your questions. All faculties have a info session or something like that for first years (if i remember correctly). Make a list of your questions, most upper years are willing to help out.

Also while you may be set on this, talk to some other fields; you never know. Lastly, if you get into a program and you hate it, its not the end of the world. It is possible to switch streams in second year,you'd have to take the necessary courses. Oh and if you're aiming for elec and biomed which is one of the harder ones to get in (from what I remember), make sure you have a decent average and make your remaining choices wisely. Sorry I can't tell you specifics regarding each program.
Good luck!
Old 02-11-2015 at 12:29 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yeeees, I was just thinking to myself, "I haven't seen a brand new thread by ralts40(2) in days --- especially not one on the exact same topic as more than a handful prior"!

To make it even better, you've come to a conclusion, I see, that does not seem in line with any suggestions given so far, and we haven't even had the department showcase event yet! (that's tomorrow)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
Still, I feel like electrical and biomedical might be the way, with focus electives on Quantum Mechanics, as I get to do some chem courses with bio point of view, programming, electrical stuff, and also take tech electives like quantum in 3rd to 4th year..
I can't wait to see how many more of your threads are created after tomorrow, and onward until department selection closes...
Old 02-11-2015 at 02:28 PM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
So, short story long, here it is:

The thing is, after a lot of searching and researching, I have found out that I love EVERYTHING that I study, I mean EVERYTHING. From dynamics and gravity(1D03) to electrical stuff(1E03), to quantum mechanics, to number theory to calculus(1Za/Zb3) to programming(1D04), to chemistry, the list just does not end... To merge these all together, and also get an employable degree at the end, I have searched A LOT.. Gone thoroughly through all the courses in academic calendar, met many professors and researchers in the university, and also talked to some upper years.

I only think that the others might be mechatron or software, but they donot have a good reputation at mac, and I dont see the difference between electrical and tron(more software focus, I know)..

Any suggestions? Thanks
"I have found computer, electrical and software engineering as fields that are not for me, completely based on my own knowledge and research. I feel that these fields consist of all man-made ideas and logics, and are too abstract. I mean, these are not the ideas that study and explore raw nature like other engineering fields do, but rather are developed by imperfect beings like humans(Myself included). I mean to say that, about a 100 years ago, the world ran perfectly normally without Computer Engineering or Software Engineering. No offense to elec/soft/comp engineers out there. Just wanted to throw it out for anyone to acknowledge or correct me.Correct me if I am wrong."

"I donot want to study ideas that came up from an imperfect beings like us"

The contrast in your post vs comments you have made in past threads is amusing lol. Now you want to learn about ideas created by imperfect beings like humans? lol its been proven numerous times that anyone who contradicts your ideas typically gets an earful from you for disagreeing, and yet now you are disagreeing with yourself.. I dont even know what you are trying to accomplish anymore.
Old 02-11-2015 at 06:28 PM   #5
arsh03

Liked: 1 Time

"Grabs popcorn and sits back"

This post will be fun to read...
Old 02-11-2015 at 08:28 PM   #6
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Brother please, 2Dreams, all you have done is get angrier the whole time, and not even contributed to my thought process at all.. Mike's suggestion was good about going into Eng Phys, but when I talked to a prof in ECE, he said I can take any of the quantum course as technical elective if I choose(also said that I might change my mind in the long run after entering the program and seeing what is in there within ECE itself).

And, I talked to a researcher in McMaster who is doing a master's degree in Material Science about atom trapping with electric field and levitation with medical application to tumor cure and stuff, so that was another major motivator for me to. It was basically trapping an atom in electric field and bombarding it with gamma rays in order to extract all electrons out in a electric field(negative charge feels the electric field in opposite direction), so they would just skadooosh away, while proton ONLy remains leviated in space.. Sounded cool..

The thing is, if I wanna study cool applications of electric field, is ECE the way to go or Materials? Despite the guy doing research in materials, I beleive that ECE is more related to the field.. Thanks
Old 02-11-2015 at 08:43 PM   #7
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

I feel so bad getting manipulated by a researcher, or almost anyone, it is crazy here at Mac.., anyone I go to see makes me just wanna get into that field, it is crazy..
Old 02-11-2015 at 10:08 PM   #8
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

As a Materials Eng student, I'm telling you right now that the researcher's project is nowhere near the bulk of the stuff you will learn about if you choose this program. It's a very wide field, so we learn the basics of a lot of different material types. The graduate level is where things get very specific.

It's a lot of thermodynamics, kinetics, material processing and fabrication (high temperature and low temperature), material properties, and materials selection. Most people tend to specialize in metals (usually steel), polymers, electronic materials, or nano materials. There are a limited number of technical electives that you can take to pursue this specialization, but most of the courses are very general and will cover metals and ceramics the most.

You can ask more questions at the Eng 1 fair from 11:30-2:30 tomorrow if you're still curious about what we do.