MacInsiders Logo

What should I specialize in?

Old 08-04-2011 at 11:49 AM   #1
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

What should I specialize in?
Hi MI

I'm just wondering if I could have the opinions of the older and wiser on what I should specialize in.

My main aim is medical school with my top choices being Mac, McGill, UofT, UTM, Queens and UWO.

I'm currently..either 2nd or 1st year..I can't really tell 'cause I'm a transfer student from York so I already have some first year credits but I just have a few more to do.

I'm minoring in Psychology and my aim is to finish my minor by summer 2012 and I have mainly psych courses in Term 2 and 2 psych courses in Term 1. After the end of Term 2, I'll be able to register for upper year bio courses as well.

What I want to know is, which specialization would be better? Molecular Biology & Genetics OR Physio? I did check out med school pre-reqs and it seems like both will fulfill them but I may be missing something so I'd appreciate your advice.

I also read on here that M. Bio & Genetics is a better degree for research and research + a PHD is my back up plan if I don't get into med school so I'm leaning towards this specialization.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has taken PHYS 1BB3? It seems like it might be useful for bio and eventhough I'm not a big fan of physics, i may take it if I survive 1B03.

Oh, and I'm definitely planning to take the KIN anatomy and physio courses!

Thank you once again, I'd really appreciate any help I can get 'cause I'd really like to make the right decision!
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:15 PM   #2
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
Also, I was wondering if anyone has taken PHYS 1BB3? It seems like it might be useful for bio and eventhough I'm not a big fan of physics, i may take it if I survive 1B03.
I think you might need to take this course anyways since I'm pretty sure med schools require that you take a full year of physics with the lab component.

IqzFendi says thanks to Dopematic for this post.
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:32 PM   #3
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopematic View Post
I think you might need to take this course anyways since I'm pretty sure med schools require that you take a full year of physics with the lab component.
None of the Ontario ones do, McGill/US schools do though.

Even though physio seems like it would give you the opportunity to take more relevant courses to med, I would go with mol bio since research is your backup.

IqzFendi says thanks to inthemaking for this post.
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:41 PM   #4
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

Specialize in what you think you will enjoy (from past experience). If you ever took any anatomy related course and you liked it (also you seem very excited about anatomy from kin) then I'd suggest bio (physio). If you liked lab work, genetics section in from previous bio courses, mol bio & genetics may be a good choice as well. These are just some things I'd consider.

IqzFendi says thanks to StevenLiang for this post.
Old 08-04-2011 at 03:28 PM   #5
IqzFendi

Thanks all, I think I'll stick with my initial plan of Mol Bio & Genetics! I'm interested in it, it covers med pre-reqs and it's a good back up if i don't get into med school! Can't go wrong with it!
Old 08-04-2011 at 03:36 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

You can't go wrong with either program really, except MolBio and Genetics might be a little better for Research, but you can also do research with Physio. Try looking into the course list for either program and see which interest you more! Also, MolBio has Co-op if you choose to apply after second year as there's no co-op with Bio/Physio.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.

IqzFendi says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-04-2011 at 03:41 PM   #7
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

I think you should specialize in Honours Life Sci
Old 08-04-2011 at 04:04 PM   #8
IqzFendi

LOL I'm not sure about Life Science...I'm quite interested in bio, bio and more bio..and a bit of chem here and there! haha. What kinda stuff do you study in Life Science?
Old 08-04-2011 at 05:55 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
LOL I'm not sure about Life Science...I'm quite interested in bio, bio and more bio..and a bit of chem here and there! haha. What kinda stuff do you study in Life Science?
I'm not in Life Sci, but it's a little more broad since you have a lot more room for electives so you can cover Psych, Bio, MolBio, etc. It just gives you a chance to have more diversity in terms of courses.
Old 08-04-2011 at 08:09 PM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey sara a question for you, you know how u said its easier to get into research with mol bio and genetics, then what do physio ppl usually go into? also what does physio exactly entail, i know the only physio course in second year is bio 2a03, so im just wondering what physio students study in specific. also since you in physio what do u plan on doing after graduating and what do others in physio typically go onto?

(ps sorry for the tangent and the many questions, im actually really confused wether if i should stay in physio or go into genetics - on a side note physio and genetics have very very very similar year2's, actually genetics just has the same seocnd year required courses plus one so i would think it would be easy to transfer after second if i change my mind.)
Old 08-06-2011 at 09:56 AM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

bump...

/12char
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:14 AM   #12
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Hi IqzFendi.
Let me give you the low-down from someone whose been with a LOT of successful med applicants (I even applied my self once). Its top secret... don't tell anyone else

IT DOSEN'T MATTER!

I know thats counter-intuitive, and undergrads really stress about this topic. The simple truth is all you need for medicine are those basic requirements (first year sciences, maybe an English and a math course).... and after that the title on your degree means nothing to the people ranking you. In my 3rd year of undergrad, I knew of two music majors who got into U of T med. If you seriously want a shot at getting in med in Canada stick to this: take all the required courses early on, do your MCAT in 2nd year (its all 1st year bio material, except for some basic orgo) and then take as many easy/bird courses as you can to boost your GPA above 3.8 (OMSAS conversion).

Do NOT make the mistake of taking a fancy sounding or "hard" program because you think it will impress anyone or make any sort of difference when you apply. They see the title for a couple of seconds as they initially scan the applications, thats about it

Last edited by InsideMINDS : 08-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.

IqzFendi, MirandaC, rkb12 all say thanks to InsideMINDS for this post.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-06-2011 at 10:28 AM   #13
IqzFendi

Thanks so much! That is great advice! I am actually looking over the bio courses now for 2nd and 3rd year and I'm looking at the ones I'm most interested in. Maintaining a high GPA is the most important part so that's what I'm going for too!

There is something though, you said an English course? Is this necessary? If so, I should probably take one..but what kind? Literature? Language? Doesn't matter? :p haha
Old 08-06-2011 at 12:08 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Thanks so much! That is great advice! I am actually looking over the bio courses now for 2nd and 3rd year and I'm looking at the ones I'm most interested in. Maintaining a high GPA is the most important part so that's what I'm going for too!

There is something though, you said an English course? Is this necessary? If so, I should probably take one..but what kind? Literature? Language? Doesn't matter? :p haha
I believe it has to be a course with composition. Most people take 1A03, 1AA3 and/or 1CS3. I would suggest sticking with first year courses, you could take upper year courses but they tend to grade more strictly because by your upper years your writing should have been refined.
Old 08-06-2011 at 09:36 PM   #15
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Last time I checked it wasn't yet a hard requirement at most Canadian Med schools... however its required for US applications and Canadian schools are starting to make it more and more of a requirement. Like the last poster said, a class with composition is usually what they want.