MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought books on student card.. how do i pay? xsanx Academics 3 09-20-2009 11:06 PM

Should textbooks be bought right now??

Old 09-01-2012 at 06:31 PM   #16
BenDanen

Liked: 0 Times

Use the marketplace
Old 09-01-2012 at 06:40 PM   #17
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Some profs post the course outlines before school starts and you can then buy the texts before class starts. If no outline is posted, wait until after class starts.

Buy used textbooks on facebook (mcmaster used textbooks), macinsiders, kijiji, etc. I don't recommend online books because they make it harder to see the whole picture in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2012 at 08:23 PM   #18
AyNguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Do not believe this stat, it may hold true in whatever program he is in, but I dont know many people that can say that they didnt need textbooks... especially not for 70% of their classes.
Dont by textbooks immediately, as often the material may not be necessary for your success. The best choice is to go to class for the first week, the prof will explain what material is necessary and you will be able to make a well informed decision as to what books you think you may need. One word of advice, DONT BUY ANY ECON BOOKS
Why would we not buy econ books?
Old 09-02-2012 at 09:46 AM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

My advice:

YOU DONT NEED TO BUY TEXTBOOKS BEFORE CLASS STARTS! This is a common mistake. Your first few lectures are usually an introduction to the course, what it's about, etc. and doesn't require textbook homework right away so you don't need the textbook yet until a few weeks into classes.

Keep in mind, especially for elective courses you might take, you may not like the class once you attend the first lecture and want to switch out of it. You can do this during the add/drop period at the start of school where you get the change to drop courses and add a different one. So if you end up not liking the course Day 1, but you already bought the textbook.. you're stuck with it! (if you bought it used), or you'll have to refund it.

Textbook publishers usually come out with new 'editions' every few years as you said... and sometimes are sneaky by switching around chapters and pages! But for the most part you'll be ok getting the used edition of the previous year's textbook. However, before doing so I would first ask the professor during your first lecture class.

We have a load of great tips and advice on this topic in our ADVICE section, check these out:

How To Find What Textbooks You Need

Textbook Buying Guide

How to find the textbook list for your classes

And to answer your question on where to buy used textbooks...
Where to buy/sell textbooks (Updated for 2012)
Old 09-02-2012 at 10:41 AM   #20
Unregistered

Why is someone saying we shouldn't buy micro econ books? How are you suppose to learn without it? No homeworks? Is there a online free copy somewhere is that why?
Old 09-02-2012 at 11:02 AM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why is someone saying we shouldn't buy micro econ books? How are you suppose to learn without it? No homeworks? Is there a online free copy somewhere is that why?
Everything is in the slides. Most people can easily understand everything by just using the powerpoint slides. I don't know anyone who actually used the book to study.
Old 09-02-2012 at 11:42 AM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If buying books, you should buy online (1/3 of the price you would spend in the bookstore)
If buying online, you should have ordered your books last week...
Old 09-07-2012 at 09:25 AM   #23
lindac

I would wait until class starts