MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-04-2013 at 08:08 AM   #1
WillyH

Liked: 9 Times

Shuttin
I'm a 20 year old friendless loser and self described NEET™.
I never managed to make any connections during the vital first year/first few weeks of this year time of friendbuilding, and there doesn't seem to be any way I could do it now.

Is there anyone in a similar situation?
If there is, please email me at [email protected]

I like chinese cartoons and video games, and if you are in 2nd year eng we could study together for 2Z03 or something.
Old 12-04-2013 at 09:17 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Didn't really meet anyone in first year either; don't make yourself think that there is just a 'vital' time that you can miss... just get involved in clubs. There's the comic book club, pretty sure there's an anime one too... or you could just click on 'chat' up top.

Entropy, shreebee like this.
Old 12-04-2013 at 02:01 PM   #3
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

There will be another clubsfest at the beginning of next term so sign up for one or two that you are interested in (and ACTIVELY participate). You can also volunteer for something you are passionate about. Maybe something that volunteers in a group setting or has socializing opportunities?

Also, technically you are not a NEET since you are in education.
Old 12-04-2013 at 03:04 PM   #4
WillyH

Where can I volunteer? The guidance people told me to go to oscarplus but it's just asking me to fill in forms instead of showing me any listings.

Next term as in next year? That's pretty far away but I guess I can survive one more year of isolation...
But is it just me that has this type of problem? Or how do other shuttins manage to deal with it?
Whenever I would get depressed about it I would just play video games, but that only makes coming to class the next day all the more difficult since you fall behind on classwork, and so I've been starting to miss a lot of classes and it's become a sort of spiral...
And that's why I mentioned being NEET, because even though I'm enrolled in university it feels like I'm more NEET than student at this point.

Yogurt likes this.
Old 12-04-2013 at 03:15 PM   #5
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

have you tried going to faculty social events? and as mentioned above, be actively involved in a club or activity that interest you.
I also did not meet many people first year and was not involved in any clubs. but that doesn't mean you can't meet people just because you didn't make friends during welcome week or first few weeks of school.
You mentioned you like to game. I know in mills they have a gaming room on the forth floor (correct me if im wrong). Maybe go there sometime and hang out with the people there.
Old 12-04-2013 at 04:06 PM   #6
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyH View Post
Where can I volunteer? The guidance people told me to go to oscarplus but it's just asking me to fill in forms instead of showing me any listings.

Next term as in next year? That's pretty far away but I guess I can survive one more year of isolation...
By next term, I mean in early January (this clubsfest is a bit smaller than the September one though). It will have volunteer-based clubs there as well.

As for the oscarplus volunteering, I think they are talking about the SSL. It is not so hard to find the listings for that: http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...ss-leader.html

Check out the calendar of events on oscarplus when the new term starts. There will be one or two volunteer fairs as well.
Old 12-05-2013 at 08:21 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I like chinese cartoons...
Like 黑猫警长?
Old 12-05-2013 at 09:07 AM   #8
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I wasn't really actively involved in clubs until second year but I did manage to make friends in my classes. You may be a shy person but try to make friends in your classes and as everyone else said join some clubs or volunteer and be actively involve in it. You know what, it really helped me since those same friends I made in first year are still my friends now.
Old 12-05-2013 at 09:33 AM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Hi Willy,

See your message inbox.
Old 12-08-2013 at 04:21 PM   #10
WillyH

Alright thanks for the inputs
Old 12-08-2013 at 04:50 PM   #11
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Just go to one of the libraries when you're studying for an exam or something
Even if you don't know anyone there, just being in a crowd of people helped me a lot when I felt lonely
Old 12-08-2013 at 05:15 PM   #12
WillyH

Usually if I'm depresses and around happy people it only makes me feel worse
Old 12-13-2013 at 11:24 AM   #13
YNWA
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Usually if I'm depresses and around happy people it only makes me feel worse
Haha this is so true >.<
Old 12-15-2013 at 04:51 PM   #14
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Friendships formed in extra-curriculars often last longer than those formed in first ear. People take different paths. I'm a fourth-year and I have very little association with fellow first-year classmates.
Old 12-17-2013 at 06:56 PM   #15
WillyH

I guess, but people who do extracurriculars tend to already have loads of friends already.
I'm just a poor NEET pleb, how could I possible fraternize with masters of #SWAG such as them?