MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-06-2011 at 10:27 PM   #1
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Shyness?
I tend to be pretty shy in general, but especially around guys. If I'm in a group with a mix of girls and guys it's not too bad, but when a guy talks to me one on one that I don't know I'm really shy and a lot of the time I get embarrassed (typically go red in the face), which I have no control over. I just wanted to hear others' take on this, from guys would be especially helpful. Do you think it's really awkward that I'm like that (this is what I think)? Any advice would be appreciated also.
Old 10-06-2011 at 10:35 PM   #2
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

let's get married, ya?

-Ish-, dreamer21 like this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 11:04 PM   #3
JonSnow

Liked: 13 Times

Hi!

I'm a guy and I feel completely the same way about talking to girls! In a group setting its a little more comfortable. I actually found a flyer on campus that is studying this and its called "Social Anxiety". Turns out its pretty common. Here's some more information about the study: http://www.macanxiety.com/. I'm just in the process of starting, and it looks promising. Hope this helps!

Last edited by JonSnow : 10-06-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2011 at 11:22 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's totally normal.. It's just something that you get with practice. I was like that at one point too, but then you talk to the guys, be friends with them.. And it just gets easier!
Old 10-07-2011 at 02:54 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
I tend to be pretty shy in general, but especially around guys. If I'm in a group with a mix of girls and guys it's not too bad, but when a guy talks to me one on one that I don't know I'm really shy and a lot of the time I get embarrassed (typically go red in the face), which I have no control over. I just wanted to hear others' take on this, from guys would be especially helpful. Do you think it's really awkward that I'm like that (this is what I think)? Any advice would be appreciated also.
Treat them like girls, or find somebody you can get confortable / get practice with (?sounds weird)
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:05 AM   #6
stever

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
when im getting my mac on, It's much easier to get the girl away from her group of friends, then you can flirt with her freely without her other friends thinking she's a s lut, if other guys think like me... tough luck for you. (im pretty sure you're doing all the judging and none of the flirting though )
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:44 AM   #7
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Gloria Steinem sez gender is a social construct, yo
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:46 AM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Start by talking to socially awkward guys as they are less intimidating.

Entropy, RyanC, stever like this.
Old 10-07-2011 at 11:25 AM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Yes. I know this from experience because it works both ways.
(That was back in kindergarten or elementary school though. So if I talk to you now, it doesn't mean you're socially awkward.)
Old 10-07-2011 at 02:26 PM   #10
RobbyJ

Just picture them in their underwear... 60% of the time it works every time.
Old 10-07-2011 at 05:19 PM   #11
luna

Liked: 10 Times

I'm really shy too!!! I've been in the same situation as you and probably am somewhat still there. But I noticed that with practice you get out of it. like doing presentations can be nerve recking but the more you do them the more comfortable you get with it. I'm in groups with just guys but see it as an opportunity to try to get over my shyness. So I would force myself to feel at ease and contribute to the group and am ok with it and strangely I feel uncomfortable around certain guys like maybe jocks only because they seem to be really loud and outgoing (not like me), maybe that's the case for you too. it helps too to know your not the only one in the situation (I'm surprised to see someone in the same situation).
Just do what you want/have to do don't think about what other's maybe thinking about you or feeling towards you. there are more understanding people around you and just keep putting yourself out there

Last edited by luna : 10-07-2011 at 05:33 PM.

dreamer21, Yogurt like this.
Old 10-07-2011 at 06:09 PM   #12
dreamer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Hi!

I'm a guy and I feel completely the same way about talking to girls! In a group setting its a little more comfortable. I actually found a flyer on campus that is studying this and its called "Social Anxiety". Turns out its pretty common. Here's some more information about the study: http://www.macanxiety.com/. I'm just in the process of starting, and it looks promising. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the response, but I'm pretty sure I don't have social anxiety because I'm completely fine talking to girls and people I know better.
Old 10-07-2011 at 06:14 PM   #13
dreamer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
I suppose this could work, but I don't think I'd be able to just pick out the 'socially awkward' just by looking at them.
Old 10-07-2011 at 06:14 PM   #14
JonSnow

Quote:
Thanks for the response, but I'm pretty sure I don't have social anxiety because I'm completely fine talking to girls and people I know better.
That's what I thought as well. I don't have any problems with my close friends its just people I don't know make me uncomfortable. It might not be severe but it won't hurt getting checked out.
Old 10-07-2011 at 06:30 PM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Girls, we can meet and work this out. I'll talk to you.
I'm shy too but frankly, if I can find someone who I know is interested in talking with me, I'll be okay.