Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hills andrewjdg Athletics & Recreation 6 10-11-2010 02:00 AM

ski hills near hamiltion?

Old 07-07-2008 at 07:52 PM   #1
neff

Liked: 0 Times

ski hills near hamiltion?
hey im just wondering if there are any ski hill around mcmaster, or even if there is a ski/snowboard club of sorts with weekly or monthly trips? i saw on a map that there was chedokee(sp) golf and ski club near by, and that was the only one i found that was reasonably close but i couldn't find any info about it. any insight into any of this would be greatly apprecaited.
Old 07-07-2008 at 08:28 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There is a teeny tiny hill in Oakville, but other than that you'd need to drive a good hour and a half or more to get to any decent-sized hill.

The Snowboard club has trips! You can find out more about them during Clubsfest in Welcome Week

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-07-2008 at 10:27 PM   #3
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

The Chedoke Ski Hill has unfortunately been closed for the last few years. It was a very small city-run facility on the grounds of the Chedoke Golf Club near Mac, and was a perpetual money-loser for the city, so they shut it down.

The next closest ski hill is probably the one lorend is referring to, called Glen Eden. It's in Milton, just north of Oakville, about 40 minutes away (straight up Bronte Rd/Hwy 25 off the QEW). It is rather small, but much bigger than Chedoke ever was. Mostly they're lacking in vertical height there, which limits the length of the runs. Another small one that's somewhat close is Chicopee, in Kitchener (about an hour away).

I'm not sure where you're from so I don't know how familiar you are with Ontario skiing, but the best resort in Ontario is usually considered to be Blue Mountain in Collingwood. That'll probably take you a good 2.5 hours to get to, though. But, as lorend mentioned, the Snowboard Club has trips to various hills in the area, so you should definitely watch out for them. Also, if you're in residence, ask your HPA or IRC Programming Rep to plan a ski trip for the building! If demand is there, I'm sure they'd love to do it.
Old 01-12-2009 at 03:52 PM   #4
jaybw13

Glen Eden by Public transport?
Is Glen Eden accessible via public transport or do you need your own vehicle to get there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippi View Post
The Chedoke Ski Hill has unfortunately been closed for the last few years. It was a very small city-run facility on the grounds of the Chedoke Golf Club near Mac, and was a perpetual money-loser for the city, so they shut it down.

The next closest ski hill is probably the one lorend is referring to, called Glen Eden. It's in Milton, just north of Oakville, about 40 minutes away (straight up Bronte Rd/Hwy 25 off the QEW). It is rather small, but much bigger than Chedoke ever was. Mostly they're lacking in vertical height there, which limits the length of the runs. Another small one that's somewhat close is Chicopee, in Kitchener (about an hour away).

I'm not sure where you're from so I don't know how familiar you are with Ontario skiing, but the best resort in Ontario is usually considered to be Blue Mountain in Collingwood. That'll probably take you a good 2.5 hours to get to, though. But, as lorend mentioned, the Snowboard Club has trips to various hills in the area, so you should definitely watch out for them. Also, if you're in residence, ask your HPA or IRC Programming Rep to plan a ski trip for the building! If demand is there, I'm sure they'd love to do it.
Old 01-12-2009 at 04:57 PM   #5
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

You need your own transport to get to Glen Eden. It's probably just under an hour's drive:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rl s=en-us&q=glen%20eden%20mi lton%20on&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Mt St Louis-Moonstone is also good, it's a bit smaller than Blue Mountain but still a good size. It's about a 2 hour drive:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rl s=en-us&q=glen%20eden%20mi lton%20on&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippi View Post
Also, if you're in residence, ask your HPA or IRC Programming Rep to plan a ski trip for the building! If demand is there, I'm sure they'd love to do it.
I'm in res in Woodstock and I'd love to go on a trip!
Old 01-13-2009 at 09:44 AM   #6
SkydiverGirl
Account Disabled by User

Cedar Springs Ski Club does day trips that leave from Guelph Line carpool lot. It's a GO train/bus stop.

More info @ www.skicedarsprings.c om

Last edited by SkydiverGirl : 01-13-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2009 at 08:45 PM   #7
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

Glen Eden isnt too bad, its where i usually go. They have 2 out of their 9 runs dedicated to terrain park, its not bad for a small place. Only bad thing is it tends to get really busy during peak hours/days.