MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-21-2011 at 03:16 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Skiing Resorts?
What are some good and affordable vacation places to ski/snowboard in Ontario for beginners? Kinda booking last minute for this Xmas.

Thanks!

Entropy, natesnj like this.
Old 12-21-2011 at 03:52 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Talisman Mountain Resort
150 TALISMAN MOUNTAIN DR, EUPHRASIA, Ontario
(519) 599-2520 ‎

Blue Mountain
http://www.bluemountain.ca/
Old 12-21-2011 at 06:43 PM   #3
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Blue Mountain's pretty much the only legit place to go. It's a bit expensive though since it's run by Intrawest...

I think Horseshoe Valley also has some accommodations, but it's much smaller and crappier, and no "village" to explore.
Old 12-21-2011 at 06:55 PM   #4
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

blue mountain would be your best bet, its more expensive but theres a lot to do. if conditions arent the greatest (so far they arent cause all the rain and warm weather:() and you dont want to ski much, you still have other options of things to do within the resort and in the surrounding area .. horseshoe is good too, cheaper but theres not as much to do (its not really a resort)
i know you said ontario but if youre interested theres also holiday valley in ellicottville new york, its about an hour over the border from niagara falls (i believe) and its pretty good for beginners
Old 12-21-2011 at 08:18 PM   #5
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten..! View Post
blue mountain would be your best bet, its more expensive but theres a lot to do. if conditions arent the greatest (so far they arent cause all the rain and warm weather:() and you dont want to ski much, you still have other options of things to do within the resort and in the surrounding area .. horseshoe is good too, cheaper but theres not as much to do (its not really a resort)
i know you said ontario but if youre interested theres also holiday valley in ellicottville new york, its about an hour over the border from niagara falls (i believe) and its pretty good for beginners
Do you know places in Michigan? I don't think I'm planning on staying overnight. Just a day trip kinda thing.
Old 12-21-2011 at 09:24 PM   #6
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Do you know places in Michigan? I don't think I'm planning on staying overnight. Just a day trip kinda thing.
noo I don't know of any there, sorry!
Old 12-24-2011 at 12:36 PM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

If you are a beginner I wouldn't go to Blue Mountain, their beginner package and training is horrible. I would highly suggest going to Snow Valley, their beginner package and training is by far the best. I have taken all of my friends there for their first time and by the end of the day, they are capable of coming down the basic hills with very few falls.

With the blue mountain training you stuck on the little hills for the whole day and get very little guidance unless it isn't busy

Desda likes this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:39 PM   #8
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

try chicopee its in kitchener their beginner package is good and you get to go on a fairly big hill