MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
language courses MacStudent1 Academics 5 08-04-2010 09:48 PM
Language course requirements? Flag Academics 1 11-22-2009 02:00 PM
Society for Language Sciences feonateresa MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-06-2009 07:59 PM
Language courses Goce Academics 31 07-13-2009 06:24 AM
Mohawk language course. What is it like? raine Academics 8 11-28-2008 06:27 PM

Skipping a first year language course

Old 06-28-2009 at 03:41 PM   #1
missiu

Liked: 0 Times

Skipping a first year language course
I'm currently in second year, and have already failed twice in trying to get into Jap 1Z06 (first year and summer). I was planning to do a Japanese Studies minor and I need 1z06 for that. I'm also going to be co-president of the Japanese Club next year, so it really sucks that I'm not able to take the course..

The thing is, I have taken private lessons in Japanese before, and after reviewing the course syllabus and the lessons frm the textbook that's used, I realized that I'd learned most of the stuff already give or take a few lessons.

Is it possible to just skip 1Z06 altogether and take Jap 2Z03 or 2ZZ3 instead? Has anyone ever done this? And does anyone know what the process or requirements would be?

Thanks a bunch ^^
Old 06-28-2009 at 03:52 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't know... you'd have to speak to the Languages department to ask about it, since I'm sure 1Z06 is a pre-req for those courses. I've never heard of someone doing that, but maybe they would make you take a placement test or something.
Old 06-28-2009 at 03:54 PM   #3
missiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I don't know... you'd have to speak to the Languages department to ask about it, since I'm sure 1Z06 is a pre-req for those courses. I've never heard of someone doing that, but maybe they would make you take a placement test or something.
Yeah 1Z06 is prereq for the 2nd year course.. I wasn't sure if it was possible, but it did sort of seem like an unfair advantage for someone who was perhaps already fluent in a language to be able to take it and get amazing in it.. =/
Old 06-28-2009 at 04:11 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

hey I also recommend emailing the prof./language department for that. I have heard of someone else who made such plans (though I'm not sure if they followed through) but also, a lot of people who are taking 1z06 have prior knowledge in it anyways but still were in enrolled 1z06. Anyways, good luck on getting your courses.
Old 06-28-2009 at 06:00 PM   #5
KaesoPublius
SRA Member

Liked: 1 Time

I know back when I was in the German program you could sit down with a prof who would assess your language skills/abilities and if you satisfied the requirements you could be granted permission to enter a higher level course without taking the beginner's intensive.

But that was back in the day and a different program... I recommend talking to the department or a professor in the department about it.
Old 06-28-2009 at 06:56 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You can probably get it waived, best to ask.
Old 06-28-2009 at 07:40 PM   #7
Raeann89

Liked: 4 Times

I'm actually skipping the first year of Italian at the moment, as I'm heading into my third year, so it's definitely possible! All you have to do is email the prof who's teaching the second level classes and get permission to study over the summer with the goal of taking an equivalency test come September. Just state that you have taken lessons before and are completely dedicated and you'll definitely be given permission.

-Rae
Old 06-28-2009 at 07:56 PM   #8
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Hey Michelle! You should come to my next Japanese class and talk to Iwai-sensei about that. Another student has done that actually, he brought his friend to sit in with him to see how the class was.
Old 06-28-2009 at 08:58 PM   #9
missiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Hey Michelle! You should come to my next Japanese class and talk to Iwai-sensei about that. Another student has done that actually, he brought his friend to sit in with him to see how the class was.
Jaclynn! <3 My love! Ohh, would that be okay? Is the course really full though? I feel bad for bothering Iwai-sensei so muchh~ When's your next class?
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:10 PM   #10
jachill
Vampire Slayer

The class room is big enough, there are enough seats for one more ^_^ I could ask her about it on Tuesday (my next class) then see if you could come on Thursday. Or if you don't want to sit through a class, you could just come at the end of class (I can introduce you ) to talk to her - she usually sticks around for a bit because people often have questions. Don't worry about bothering her she's such a nice person and I'm sure she'll appreciate your passion for the language (not to mention she gets so many emails I'm sure a face-to-face meeting would be much easier on her). <3
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:24 PM   #11
missiu

Quote:
The class room is big enough, there are enough seats for one more ^_^ I could ask her about it on Tuesday (my next class) then see if you could come on Thursday. Or if you don't want to sit through a class, you could just come at the end of class (I can introduce you ) to talk to her - she usually sticks around for a bit because people often have questions. Don't worry about bothering her she's such a nice person and I'm sure she'll appreciate your passion for the language (not to mention she gets so many emails I'm sure a face-to-face meeting would be much easier on her). <3
That would be awesome~~ <3 Do you think you could ask her? I don't want to show up so suddenly.. Thanks so much Jaclynn ^^
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:30 PM   #12
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Yes, I'll deffinitely ask her. ^.^ It's no problem at all! <33 Oh ya, when I asked her if there was a chance my friend could get into 1Z06 (I was asking for Sarah - I've been trying to help her out as well) Iwai was like "oh Michelle Sui?" lol She remembered your name, funny how she figured we were friends. XD
Old 06-28-2009 at 09:53 PM   #13
missiu

Quote:
Yes, I'll deffinitely ask her. ^.^ It's no problem at all! <33 Oh ya, when I asked her if there was a chance my friend could get into 1Z06 (I was asking for Sarah - I've been trying to help her out as well) Iwai was like "oh Michelle Sui?" lol She remembered your name, funny how she figured we were friends. XD
Yay! Yaa! Sarah doesn't get to choose til July 2nd.. Which sucks.. I'm surprised that she remembered my name.. considering the amount of emails she must be getting... D:
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:01 PM   #14
jachill
Vampire Slayer

O.O July 2nd is for level 1 students lol SOLAR has already opened for her and she deffinitely didn't get in 1Z06. Iwai told me to tell her to come to the first lecture class because a lot of people (like 10 students) who signed up don't show up and theres a chance of getting in then. But ya I was surprised she remembered too! Maybe she knows who you are already from the Japanese club (btw, it's called the Japanese Connection now right?)

Anyway, we're getting this thread rather off topic lol I'll talk to Iwai on Tuesday.