MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-28-2011 at 09:32 AM   #31
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
11.11.11 is so far away.

I wish games release was more like how Apples launch their product.

Announcement = Release almost right away.
And Release = damn, the thing I bought three months ago is obsolete.
Old 02-28-2011 at 10:35 AM   #32
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
True Apple fan should not complain about that. In fact you should be delighted that there is a new version for you to buy.

Pst. What are you? Poor?
Old 02-28-2011 at 11:16 AM   #33
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
The PC gaming industry is not much better. Everything moves so fast. You could spend a fortune on a brand new gaming rig, and it would already be outdated out of the box (or crate, sometimes) or within a matter of months. PC gaming doesn't really have the concrete "generations" like consoles or Apple products do. Most hardcore PC gamers prefer it this way though; more customization.

I am hoping my PC will be up to snuff for Skyrim though. Especially given that Bethesda has stated that they will support community modding this time around.
Old 02-28-2011 at 11:31 AM   #34
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
The PC gaming industry is not much better. Everything moves so fast. You could spend a fortune on a brand new gaming rig, and it would already be outdated out of the box (or crate, sometimes) or within a matter of months. PC gaming doesn't really have the concrete "generations" like consoles or Apple products do. Most hardcore PC gamers prefer it this way though; more customization.

I am hoping my PC will be up to snuff for Skyrim though. Especially given that Bethesda has stated that they will support community modding this time around.
I've had my computer for like a year.. I can run everything excellently as far as I know. :/
Old 02-28-2011 at 12:02 PM   #35
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I've had my computer for like a year.. I can run everything excellently as far as I know. :/
For sure. But it's still outdated, you know? PCs are generally ranked low, medium, or high-end. What is considered "high-end" now will have dropped in standing in a few months, especially with GDC starting today.

What I mean to say is that there is almost always going to be a computer that can run your games better than yours. This is how fast the PC gaming industry moves. You do not get that with consoles because every unit is the same, performance-wise.
Old 02-28-2011 at 12:36 PM   #36
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
For sure. But it's still outdated, you know? PCs are generally ranked low, medium, or high-end. What is considered "high-end" now will have dropped in standing in a few months, especially with GDC starting today.

What I mean to say is that there is almost always going to be a computer that can run your games better than yours. This is how fast the PC gaming industry moves. You do not get that with consoles because every unit is the same, performance-wise.
PC gamers tend to fall into this trap of going for the best all the time and getting disappointed when they no longer have the best of the best hardware-wise, but being able to play a game at 250FPS with 2560×1600 when your eyes can only see a max of about 60-120FPS (Depending on the person/situation) and your monitor is 1080p makes no sense. With about a $300 investment into a GPU and Processor today you can play most games at 1080p, with max or near max settings at 60+FPS. Even if your parts are "Outdated", if you're playing games at the max resolution of your screen and at the highest FPS your eyes can see why would you care?
Old 02-28-2011 at 01:12 PM   #37
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
PC gamers tend to fall into this trap of going for the best all the time and getting disappointed when they no longer have the best of the best hardware-wise, but being able to play a game at 250FPS with 2560×1600 when your eyes can only see a max of about 60-120FPS (Depending on the person/situation) and your monitor is 1080p makes no sense. With about a $300 investment into a GPU and Processor today you can play most games at 1080p, with max or near max settings at 60+FPS. Even if your parts are "Outdated", if you're playing games at the max resolution of your screen and at the highest FPS your eyes can see why would you care?
Well, there is more to it than number of frames per second and resolution size. Easily running a game at maximum resolution, but with the lowest texture or model settings, still will not be easy on the eyes.

I agree though. Some (not all) PC gamers reinforce the stereotype that the slightest graphical impurity will bother them. Jaggies, bad textures, you name it. I am all for using the maximum potential of your very powerful PC, but some people's standards are ridiculously high.
Old 02-28-2011 at 04:12 PM   #38
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Well, there is more to it than number of frames per second and resolution size. Easily running a game at maximum resolution, but with the lowest texture or model settings, still will not be easy on the eyes.

I agree though. Some (not all) PC gamers reinforce the stereotype that the slightest graphical impurity will bother them. Jaggies, bad textures, you name it. I am all for using the maximum potential of your very powerful PC, but some people's standards are ridiculously high.
well at the $300 price point I was assuming max/near max settings. You can pick up an old 9800 and a dual core AMD for less than $150 and handle most games at max res/fps with medium settings.
Old 02-28-2011 at 06:51 PM   #39
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
well at the $300 price point I was assuming max/near max settings. You can pick up an old 9800 and a dual core AMD for less than $150 and handle most games at max res/fps with medium settings.
Totally depends on the game.

Textures and lighting effects can totally kill a rig.

World a Warcraft was made to run on various systems. It can be considered outdated compare to today offering.

I have no problem running it on max details in almost every scenario except intensive raiding. Once 25 is in the room and the effects start going wild, I can barely see what is going on and have to start looking at the floor (reduce the amount of graphic load).

This is running on a 4800 HD (I forgot what number exactly), C2D E8400, 4GB RAM.
Old 02-28-2011 at 07:08 PM   #40
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Best trailer ever?

i gotta boner