Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some sleep. Rakim Music 6 10-07-2010 10:04 AM
Sleep... xxsumz General Discussion 11 09-17-2010 01:57 AM
Is sleep really necessary? paul Misc 7 10-17-2008 07:28 PM

Sleep Deprivation

Old 04-16-2010 at 01:24 PM   #16
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

sleep is too good. i've never pulled an all nighter, latest i've stayed up studying was 4am then i couldn't take it anymore, studying econ for like 4 hours straight will put anyone to sleep.
Old 04-16-2010 at 04:25 PM   #17
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I don't see how it has anything to do with time management...
I've only pulled an all-nighter once, and that's because I had to leave to go to the airport at 4am. I went to sleep shortly after.

That being said, I unfortunately have terrible sleep most nights anyway, so I do get hours less sleep than I should, just over time as opposed to at once.
I said it because a lot of people pull all nighters the night before exams or the night before something is due. So for me time management has a lot to do with not pulling all nighters because I've always made sure that I had enough time to study or finish assignments and what not without pulling all nighters.

Old 04-16-2010 at 04:34 PM   #18
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I don't see how it has anything to do with time management...
I've only pulled an all-nighter once, and that's because I had to leave to go to the airport at 4am. I went to sleep shortly after.

That being said, I unfortunately have terrible sleep most nights anyway, so I do get hours less sleep than I should, just over time as opposed to at once.
I think the all-nighters in this discussion is referring to academic work. Otherwise I've had one all nighter when I flew home from Whitehorse overnight and just stayed up the next day. It was not school related.

If you manage your time well and plan ahead, you shouldn't have to cram at the very end. The latest I have ever stayed up working on anything was just after 1am and that was only because I lost track of time.
I've managed to take 6-7 courses per term (engineering) and never stayed up all night. I also value my sleep and know I'm more productive to stop working, get a good night's sleep and start again in the morning rather than try to work all night.
Old 04-16-2010 at 04:38 PM   #19
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Never pulled an all nighter myself either. Sleep is 10x better than trying to cram stuff into your head.
Old 04-16-2010 at 04:42 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

For me, it's not about me being unable to manage my time.

I LIKE cramming. I am an extremely efficient worker when I have a time constraint. That's how I study. I don't stay up all night b/c I'm an idiot and forgot I had a midterm... It's a choice.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

kanthamd, KayakerDan like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 04:54 PM   #21
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol, besides the above reason ^, I honestly don't see a point in staying up all night for academic work.

If someone couldn't get enough studying done until the night before, then that's all they got done. Staying up all night won't help. And there's 24 hrs in a day, and 4 months in a term: I find it honestly amazing that people who apparently need a certain amount of hours to learn the material decide to do it the one night before the exam.
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:38 PM   #22
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

i have pulled quite a few all nighters this year (6-8?) even though they are for studying, i dont get as much work as i should in that 6-8 hr span.

Sleeping is too hard anyways, lying on the bed waiting for your body to fall asleep yet it doesnt, and eventually after 30 mins or so you get up and stay up.
Old 04-16-2010 at 07:03 PM   #23
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
For me, it's not about me being unable to manage my time.

I LIKE cramming. I am an extremely efficient worker when I have a time constraint. That's how I study. I don't stay up all night b/c I'm an idiot and forgot I had a midterm... It's a choice.
Plus, it's much more satisfying when you're done everything.
Old 04-16-2010 at 07:10 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I've done a couple, but I did fall asleep later in the day. I usually pull all nighters for little reason, it's not like I'm trying to cram stuff into my brain. I don't know why I do them, but I don't find myself tired at night.
Old 04-16-2010 at 07:15 PM   #25
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

im just not a fan of sleeping and can function with 4 hours of sleep every day and i dont pull all nighters to learn material, i use the time to go over everything i have learned
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:00 PM   #26
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

ive only ever pulled an all nighter for gaming...IMO sleep helps so much more for studying, unless you've done absolutely nothing the entire year up to that night, then i would suggest you re-examine your working habits rather than sacrifice sleep
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:27 PM   #27
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Only time I've pulled an all nighter is playing video games.

khaotic likes this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:49 PM   #28
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

I used pull all-nighters last summer for no reasons, hanging-out and stuff. As a result, I still can't go to sleep before 3 in the morning.
Any advice how to get rid of this problem would be helpful lol. I always feel like going to sleep in the evening around 6pm. But, after 9PM, I feel so refreshed everyday, I don't yawn for one bit.
Old 04-16-2010 at 09:16 PM   #29
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I have more late nights when I don't have school.

I've only pulled one all nighter. It was in first year before my 2nd Math 1Z04 midterm. I was so tired I couldn't think straight and I ended up failing. After that I've tried to get at least 8 hours of sleep and you know what? I pwned all my classes and pinned my grade report on the damn fridge. Lol

But seriously people... Sleep is the best thing in the world. I love sleep. That is why I hate 8:30 classes... Cause it takes away my sleep :(

Last edited by khaotic : 04-16-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Old 04-16-2010 at 09:34 PM   #30
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

I can sleep when I'm dead.

Kelsey18, macsci like this.