MacInsiders Logo

So, I've been tricked...

Old 12-31-2008 at 05:07 PM   #1
lisforlaura

Liked: 0 Times

So, I've been tricked...
Scenario: I go to McMaster University. Somebody at McMaster University sold me a printer that was supposed to work and "in mint condition." It didn't work, I contacted her about it and she promptly blocked me on Facebook (I found her in Marketplace). Basically, the situation has become that she refuses to refund me the money and has avoided all my messages and numerous ways of trying to contact her. She brought in her little sister instead who she claimed she was selling the printer for, who ended up doing the exact same thing. The little sister was very nice at first and said she would refund me back my money. It all seemed good until she decided to ignore all of my messages as well. So.. I've got nothing. I'm not pleased and I feel scammed - I'm pretty sure they knew they were selling me a broken printer and were trying to make money off of silly me.

A friend of mine who looked into this for me told me that I could go to a certain office at McMaster University and basically report her for scamming me and deal with it through them.

My question is, does anyone know if this is even possible? The transaction occurred outside of school. Yes, we both go to McMaster University but does that mean it has anything to do with McMaster? The idea seems strange to me, so I'm looking for an outside opinion.

I know this seems very 'tattle tale' but the very thought of how very low these two sisters are just angers me. I've tried reasoning, discussing it, offering them to have a go at the printer to see if it could be fixed, and it's been dragged out for three monthes and all I want is a little bit of justice.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008 at 06:01 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

You have every right to be angry! Don't worry about being a tattle tale!

I don't know about an office that can help you but Security Services will be able to direct you to who to contact within the Hamilton Police. Because this technically did not happen on campus I don't think our Mac 5-0 has any right to deal with it, but Hamilton police does. Do you know her name? Have a contact number for her? Keep all of these things in order, including all the messages sent between the two of you, you will need this when you talk to Hamilton Police. Security Services would also be able to tell you if there IS an office on campus that you can talk to. You can reach them at any time, even over the holidays at ext 24281!

Best of luck!

lisforlaura says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 12-31-2008 at 06:04 PM   #3
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

That is really shitty. I hope it all works out for you in the end though.

lisforlaura says thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 01-01-2009 at 02:27 AM   #4
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

good luck with this!

let us know how it goes as well. there may be other students who can learn a thing or two from your situation!

lisforlaura says thanks to myoozik for this post.
Old 01-01-2009 at 03:56 AM   #5
lisforlaura

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for all the comments so far, I really appreciate everyone's support.

I know both their names, I have the messages sent between us, and one contact number. I don't know about where they live.. and unfortunately the ad in Marketplace was deleted so I don't have that either. The messages make it pretty clear of the transaction though.. hopefully it'll be enough.

My friend is pretty certain I can file a complaint against her somewhere within the school, but I can always turn to the Hamilton police.

My lesson learned: when purchasing ANYTHING from someone, make sure it works before paying for it. Especially over Facebook Marketplace.. you have no idea how many times I have beat myself on the head for being so naive.