MacInsiders Logo
Members have rated post #391920 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 12-28-2013 at 09:56 AM   #1
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating13 / 2Add positive rank
The MI community seriously dislikes this post by Nucleus
It may contain offensive material. Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-28-2013 at 10:26 AM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36a86v8fow...ter2014.d ocx

That's the TA posting for this upcoming term. So, it looks like you're fine for the TAing aspect.

With respect to co-op, it could be difficult to get summer jobs, period. I had no such luck in 3 years of trying (before landing an internship). If you have relevant software experience (i.e. you make your own apps, etc.) to beef up your resume, then that should work wonders. I've been told that the B. Tech kids have been eating up co-op/internship because they have to do those, as well as the fact that they tend to produce more job-ready students.

Also, SA of 8 is nothing to be ashamed of. That should be high enough to get you in to any of the upper year streams, including Management.

Last edited by eullwm : 12-28-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2013 at 10:34 AM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

When i read the title i thought you got "really" low grades, totally didn't expect the content of this thread lol.

To be honest it's not so easy getting a coop job after first year engineering. It is possible, but you have to look really hard to find one. Don't get discouraged if you don't find one this year, if you keep up the good work and high grades, you have a very good chance of landing a coop job in the future, and possibly an internship!

I don't think your overall average plays a role in getting a TA position, i think it depends on the mark that you received in that specific course that you want to TA. Still, even if they look at your overall, you have a very good chance of getting a TA position.
Good luck!
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:01 AM   #4
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Nucleus.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:40 AM  
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Last edited by Chad : 12-30-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Moderated for language towards another user

qwerty91, shelbs, YNWA like this.
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:56 AM   #5
YNWA
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

This sums up the point of this thread

Old 12-28-2013 at 12:09 PM   #6
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

Everyone has their own standards, although an 8 average in eng is relatively impressive for your first semester.
Old 12-28-2013 at 12:13 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Wow, someone needs attention.
Old 12-28-2013 at 12:24 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Well an 8 in high school standards may be low. In terms of first year engineering, unless grades have jumped up an 8 will get you retty much into any stream.
Old 12-28-2013 at 12:35 PM   #9
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Think people are forgetting that OP has had all of one term of university. An 8 probably represents at least a ~10% drop from his high school average and he doesn't really have anything to compare to since it's his first semester. To him it probably feels really low even though he's probably actually above a lot of his peers. No need to be mean.

An 8 is a pretty good average - especially in engineering. It's a difficult program. Don't sweat it, OP. Keep up the good work and you'll get into any stream you want. You'll find a position if you keep looking.

Whelmed likes this.
Old 12-28-2013 at 02:01 PM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Finding a job is difficult, especially now because you are LATE. Aka most jobs are filled by this point. For a software job look at:
-oscarplus (kinda last resort)
-linkedin (shocking number of small companies out there)
-careersoverflow (jobs..for software only..hundreds of jobs)

Apply NOW while you have time. For software you will want a few projects (or at least one good one) behind you especially since you only have 1 university level software course. As a first year id say apply to 10+ jobs if you want to even have a chance...unless you do have a few good open source projects to show.

Some good software companies that hire a lot of coops:
-desire2learn (waterloo + they hire in january)
-XtremeLabs (toronto)
-IBM (markham, good luck)

Skills you probably want to target/build:
-Java development
-Algorithms, Reflection, Polymorphism, Collections API
-Mobile (iOS, Android) ~depending on what you have available
-Algorithms (Java and C++ based)

Only know stuff from 1d04? Focus on Java...seriously. 1D04 covers maybe 2 weeks worth of real content in python and doesnt teach you how to code in the "python" way...it teaches more traditional means of implementing things.

Also an 8 average is good and it will probably go up as you get used to the university style of doing things + you start to go into a specific stream and do courses you actually like.
Old 12-28-2013 at 02:11 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

how the hell did you **** up
Old 12-29-2013 at 12:45 AM   #12
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

I would advise a few in this thread to re-read the Code of Conduct, section 10 under "Inclusivity."

Please make all members feel welcome, and note that there are no "stupid questions" on MacInsiders. Any further condescension will result in an infraction.

speirac likes this.
Old 12-29-2013 at 02:30 AM   #13
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

I have seen a number of people with a 4 point something average get a 16 month coop. Getting a 16 month coop is way easier than getting a 4 month coop. So I wouldn't worry about co-op if I were you.

As someone already mentioned, have personal projects going forward. Build softwares (mobile apps, web apps). Employers like to see students show their passion through such projects, not just their grades.

An 8 average is alright. During my co-op terms, I was told by many managers across 3 companies that they like to see students with high averages ~ >10. So aim for that at the very least from here on..
Old 12-29-2013 at 01:08 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

To put you at ease, if you maintain an 8 gpa you'll get into anything (except maybe google cause no one knows what they want)