MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Age of Wonders VS. Heroes of Might and Magic AdelaisAer Gaming 7 01-12-2011 10:26 PM
Windows 7: Upgrade Or Not? kanishka Technology 3 11-06-2009 02:02 PM
Windows 7 upgrade worth it? Allan General Discussion 33 10-29-2009 11:54 AM

So I want to upgrade my HTC Magic

Old 12-27-2010 at 08:02 PM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

So I want to upgrade my HTC Magic
k, so I have this HTC Magic that Rogers sent me about a year ago after my iPhone 3GS got stolen.

So recently, after trying to use features like internet and google maps where I desperately needed them respond quickly - I've realized this thing is slow as ****. Even after all the optimized firmware updates (cyanogenmod) and with as much task management as I could... it's still really ****ing slow (like literally 5 minutes just to turn on).

So anyway, my contract is not up yet with Rogers (I'm sticking with them since my mom gets my plan for 50% off since she works in their financial department), so I'm thinking of just buying an unlocked phone and swapping the SIM card.

I've been looking at what Rogers has to offer now, which for Android is pretty much the Samsung Galaxy S and the Dell Streak. I've read that the Galaxy has a messed up GPS hardware problem where it literally won't work (Samsung won't fix it either...) so I think I'm gonna skip on that one.

The Dell Streak looks interesting though - it's friggin huge, but maybe that's a good thing?

So ya, phone people on this forum:

wat do.
Old 12-27-2010 at 08:13 PM   #2
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Why not an iPhone 4?
Old 12-27-2010 at 08:32 PM   #3
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Why not an iPhone 4?
Because iPhones are overpriced pieces of ****. BB ftw!
Old 12-27-2010 at 08:34 PM   #4
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

BB for Blackberry?
Old 12-27-2010 at 08:38 PM   #5
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I use a Nexus One. Snagged one for under 400 bucks unlocked. Amazing phone, and I've grown to love Android.

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-27-2010 at 09:41 PM   #6
nonikhanna

Liked: 3 Times

i just got a Nokia N8 yesterday and I LOVE IT. rogers has this phone but i got it unlocked for fido. the best camera phone out there, with HDMI Tv-out, fm transmitter, playback any video format out of the box. it is an awesome phone. XD
Old 12-27-2010 at 09:48 PM   #7
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
i just got a Nokia N8 yesterday and I LOVE IT. rogers has this phone but i got it unlocked for fido. the best camera phone out there, with HDMI Tv-out, fm transmitter, playback any video format out of the box. it is an awesome phone. XD
symbian, no thanks
Old 12-27-2010 at 09:52 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
symbian, no thanks
Ya this kinda. I'd prefer to stay in the Android realm.
Old 12-27-2010 at 09:55 PM   #9
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya this kinda. I'd prefer to stay in the Android realm.
I suggest waiting 1 more month if you can. The LG optimus 2X is and will be the best phone for a while. It has a dual core CPU, HDMI, android.
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:53 PM   #10
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

get the sgs. mostly hit or miss. the gps either works wonderously or sucks ass
if FM radio, 720p recording, and bananaphoneshapeness don't matter you, go for the nexus s. its pretty much the same shit

or if you're baller you can get a custom synpase phone.
Old 12-28-2010 at 12:16 AM   #11
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Here's my guide:

[Android]

Nexus One: It's a first party phone for the android OS, so you can't really do much wrong, it's got optimized hardware for the software and UI so it's pretty "snappy". Not too sure about any GPS problem like the Samsung, but i hear that its a fantastic phone, especially if you're into modding it, both hardware-wise and software-wise as well.

Samsung Galaxy: The screen resolution alone should get you interested, it also has HDMI-out, that means you can stream 1080p out of your phone onto any HD-ready TV. Not sure about the GPS problem, but i understand that pretty much everything else about this phone is fantastic.

[Blackberry]

Torch: If you're looking to get into the BB market and have enough money to spend, the Torch is one of the finest BB's on the market, it integrates what Storm2 did right as well as the Bold to make a very good phone, couple that with the updated browser and blackberry messenger and you have yourself a sweet multifaceted phone.

Bold 9780/9300: These are the only Bold models that currently have the new OS 6.0. Any other Bold's or Curves that you buy from Rogers will have the old OS, and lets be honest, if you're getting a new phone, chances are that you want the newest OS. Apart from that these phones are durable and have the features you'd expect from a smart phone.

[iPhone]

No.
Old 12-28-2010 at 12:58 AM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

If you want the best smartphone you can get right now, go with the iPhone 4. If you really want a hardware keyboard and don't care about Apps (and want BBM) go with the BB 9780. If you only care about hardware and can live with horrid software the N8 is amazing. If you're determined to stick with Android despite it's issues, the Nexus One still has the best build quality, the Galaxy S has the most impressive features, and the Nexus S is the most future-proof.

The Windows Phone 7 phones are also pretty nice, but that OS still has a bunch of issues. WebOS is also nice, but the Palm Pre 2 is kind of a crappy phone hardware-wise.
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:30 AM   #13
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

White iphone 4 for the win
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:10 AM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Hmm, so after looking through numerous reviews, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Dell Streak or the Samsung Galaxy S.

The Dell Streak appeals to me because of the epic screen, and the Galaxy S because of it's literally instantaneous response time.

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy a bit right now because in the end, I think it wins in terms of practicality.

Also, I'd rather avoid the iPhone 4 because I run Linux (which means no iTunes), and I don't feel like going through all the SSH bullshit to put music on it. I wish the platform was a bit more open, cause I really do think that iOS is the best in terms of response time and stability right now.

I'm going to avoid the Blackberry and Palm simply for lack of applications.
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:11 AM   #15
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Samsung Galaxy: The screen resolution alone should get you interested, it also has HDMI-out, that means you can stream 1080p out of your phone onto any HD-ready TV. Not sure about the GPS problem, but i understand that pretty much everything else about this phone is fantastic.
The screen resolution is actually less than the iPhone4, but the SUPERAMOLED screen absolutely rapes the "retina display" in the fields of color reproduction and contrast.

It doesn't have an HDMI out nor can it render 1080p externally (by any means). However, it does have TV-out in the form of a 1/8" to RCA breakout cable.
Couple that with bluetooth keypad and any of the many Android console emulators (NES, SNES, GB/A, and even PSX just to name a few) and you have a totally sweet portable classic console.

Oh and there's Flash 10.1 so you can stream videos online but that's on any Android 2.2+ device.