MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Age of Wonders VS. Heroes of Might and Magic AdelaisAer Gaming 7 01-12-2011 10:26 PM
Windows 7: Upgrade Or Not? kanishka Technology 3 11-06-2009 02:02 PM
Windows 7 upgrade worth it? Allan General Discussion 33 10-29-2009 11:54 AM

So I want to upgrade my HTC Magic

Old 12-28-2010 at 07:20 AM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Also, I'd rather avoid the iPhone 4 because I run Linux (which means no iTunes), and I don't feel like going through all the SSH bullshit to put music on it. I wish the platform was a bit more open, cause I really do think that iOS is the best in terms of response time and stability right now.
Even if you were on Windows, having to use iTunes would still suck. It's a solid 1/3 of the reason I'm unlikely to get another iPhone once my contract on this one is up.
Old 12-28-2010 at 08:42 AM   #17
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

If you want to use features like internet browsing and GPS, NEVER get a BlackBerry. Sorry, BlackBerry is the worst at internet browsing and those who have one know what I mean and with GPS. iPhone tops BlackBerry in that catergory. As for Andriods, I never had one so I can't compare. No trolling from hardcore blackberry lovers who have never had an iphone or andriod reply to my post, k. thanks. I had a blackberry and used to be hardcore addicted but I when there is a problem, I notice it.
Old 12-28-2010 at 11:36 AM   #18
AnthraX

Liked: 23 Times

Rogers sucks!
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:28 PM   #19
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

In with "why do people even buy phones that aren't iPhones"

Androids are okay I guess.

No idea why people under the age of 30 buy Blackberries other than bbm culture or whatever. Bad phones, previous owner.

I don't even really use internet that isn't tethered off my iPhone anymore unless I'm gaming or downloading/streaming.

Last edited by Phaint : 12-28-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:46 PM   #20
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

BBM = bad culture.

It doesn't even work without a blackberry data plan.

There are already better apps for the same functionality (PingChat, Whatsapp, pmessenger etc) and they work with any data plan + wifi.
Old 12-28-2010 at 03:14 PM   #21
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
BBM = bad culture.

There are already better apps for the same functionality (PingChat, Whatsapp, pmessenger etc) and they work with any data plan + wifi.
You're acting as if it's such a hassle, it's not. Blackberry data plans are compatible with all phones so just get a blackberry data plan and you're set for life if you ever decide to switch to a blackberry later on or if you switch from a blackberry to a regular phone it will still work. It's as easy as calling your carrier and asking them to switch it. NBD.
Old 12-28-2010 at 03:17 PM   #22
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

HTC Desire with Froyo 2.2!
Old 12-28-2010 at 05:44 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
HTC Desire with Froyo 2.2!
I like the desire, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to work with Roger's 3G frequency spectrum.
Old 12-28-2010 at 09:09 PM   #24
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Galaxy S definitely for Rogers if you want an Android phone.

Aside: Just got a Palm Pre 2 yesterday, and love it.
Old 12-29-2010 at 11:05 AM   #25
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
BBM = bad culture.

The thing about those apps (and all messenger programs) is they are only as good as the number of people using them. I've tried using Kik and PingChat, and while they're great in terms of functionality I've never had more than a couple of friends who use them. Whereas every friend with a blackberry has bbm. (At least 50+)

Its the same reason that MSN and AIM are still the most used messenger programs, even though they're terrible. Its what everyone else is using.

On topic, I've played around with my friends SGS and was hugely jealous. Its definitely a great phone, although I hadn't heard about the GPS issues. The Nexus S also has a lot going for it though, and looks like an overall better device. No idea if its compatible with Rogers though.
Old 12-29-2010 at 11:32 AM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Even if you were on Windows, having to use iTunes would still suck. It's a solid 1/3 of the reason I'm unlikely to get another iPhone once my contract on this one is up.
Just posting in this thread to express my dislike for iTunes..

Cheers!
Old 12-29-2010 at 06:42 PM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

So I went and looked at some demo phones at the Rogers store, and I think I'll get the Galaxy S. The Dell Streak's screen is epic, but the phone lags slightly (indicating outdated hardware?) and the thing is just too damn huge to be practical.

Also, I was looking at the Windows 7 phones, and I have to say, the OS is quite impressive. Naturally though, since it's Microsoft, I'm going to assume it's a tarp and avoid.
Old 12-29-2010 at 09:06 PM   #28
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Wait for white iPhone 4 release. Buy one. Proceed to sell for double the price to Apple fan boy. Use money to buy two Galaxy S, thereby doubling your chances of getting a working GPS.