MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry 1SS3 C06 damelio Academics 0 09-09-2011 11:35 AM
inquiry 1SS3 ? kirsten..! Academics 2 06-16-2010 09:48 AM
Anyone In Social Science Inquiry 1ss3 C04? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-15-2009 03:32 PM

SOC SCI 1SS3 (INQUIRY IN THE SOCIAL SCIENCES) and SOC PSY 1Z03

Old 07-15-2012 at 10:53 AM   #1
Ever

Liked: 0 Times

SOC SCI 1SS3 (INQUIRY IN THE SOCIAL SCIENCES) and SOC PSY 1Z03
I couldn’t find any course review on these two courses. Can someone please give me an idea about these courses.

Can these be consider as bird courses? what are the expectations?

Thank you
Old 07-15-2012 at 11:16 AM   #2
mhildebrandt

inquiry to the social sciences - is basically a course where it provides social sciences' students the opportunity to learn how to ask good research questions, evaluate evidence, develop well reasoned conclusions and present outcomes to class. research shows that students who complete 1SS3 receive higher grades, complete their degree on time and are more likely to obtain a Dean's Honors List standing. so essentially, yes it is a bird course because its pretty much common sense. i personally have not taken it yet, considering im a first year student but from my understanding it seems like a pretty easy course hope this helps!

Ever says thanks to mhildebrandt for this post.
Old 07-15-2012 at 01:21 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever View Post
I couldn’t find any course review on these two courses. Can someone please give me an idea about these courses.

Can these be consider as bird courses? what are the expectations?

Thank you
soc psy 1Z03 is a brand new course, so no one will be able to tell you much about it.
Old 07-16-2012 at 10:28 AM   #4
Ever

what about INQUIRY 1SS3? is it the same thing as SOC SCI 1SS3 ?
Old 07-31-2012 at 06:20 PM   #5
camelie

Inquiry 1SS3 is NOT a bird course. I took it first term last year, and it was the heaviest course I took that year. It's carried out by different professors, so I'm sure it's a different experience with each one, but in my experience, it was very heavy. We had an assignment every week, 3 tests, a final research paper, a presentation, and we were marked for participation (which included showing up to class and being on time). And the class was 3 hours long. We were never let out early.

And no, it is not common sense. Not at all. It teaches you a lot of stuff you wouldn't know unless you looked for it.

That being said, it is very possible to get a good mark in it if you do the work. And after that course, everything else seemed much, much easier. It also improved my essay writing A LOT (which will be really helpful if you're in social sciences). I would suggest it if you want to learn to discipline yourself, and to learn little (and big) tips for getting better grades, but if you're looking for a bird course, forget it.