MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Media 1B03 kokosas 1st Year Course Reviews 39 06-10-2013 07:23 PM
Communication Studies and Multi-Media... __lexington First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-07-2008 10:07 PM

Social Media in Niagara Falls

From MSU Blog

Time for another update!

I went to a Social Media conference on May 14-16 that was held in Niagara Falls. It was put on by Square Crop studios and attended by student unions from across the country. It was a great opportunity for networking and discussing the one issue we all face: engaging our students. We all struggle with it; poor voter turnout is a common example of lack of student engagement. Some student unions see voter turnout below 10%, others as high as 40 or 50%. Voter turnout is an excellent indicator of how engaged students are, because they have to care enough about the person or the issues to go out and vote.

The conference encompassed several socializing and networking activities, three guest speakers and a roundtable discussion facilitated by the speakers.

The three guest speakers were:
  • Rob Dyer, founder of Skate 4 Cancer. Rob talked about how he used social media tools (YouTube videos, Twitter) to gain international recognition for his organization
  • Stacey Boguslavskaya, the social media coordinator for the Toronto Real Estate Board, who has a specialty in Social Media, start-ups, strategic planning. She spoke about how to user Twitter effectively as a social media tool
  • Stephen Sills, the creative director and co-founder of Square Crop, His speciality is in buzz-marketing, advertising, design, and brand identity. He spoke about how to engage a student population.
One of the most important things I took away from the conference is the importance of engaging in a dialogue and collecting feedback and opinion – not to tell students what you’re going to give them, but figure out what they want.
Speaking of feedback, have you filled out the Website Survey yet? We’ve had about 150 responses so far. In a few weeks I will be compiling the data from the survey into a blog post, discussing general themes of what students want to see from the website renovations and addressing questions that were raised. Please take 10 minutes to fill it out!

Expect another update from me shortly; stay tuned for my Guide to

CASA/OUSA (for the average student): In Plain English

Til then, feel free to drop me a line!

Yours,
Mary
[email protected] r.ca
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article: