MacInsiders Logo

Social Sciences and the Calculus recommendation?

Old 04-07-2014 at 07:52 PM   #1
taboads

Liked: 0 Times

Social Sciences and the Calculus recommendation?
Hey there, so I got accepted in mac's social science program a while back and have decided that I'm taking the offer. My only issue is with the calculus course I am currently taking at high school. I'm not doing very well and was just wondering how integrated the subject is with mac's program. I'm currently getting a 64 in the class and don't expect much higher than that. Should I drop it or is it as highly recommended as mac's website says? And if I was to somehow switch into the health science program some day, is it still as necessary or will I be fine with my advanced functions credit? Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Old 04-07-2014 at 08:22 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I was in soc sci and I have no idea what calculus is so that kind of answers how important it is for the program (although it's required if you want to go into psych). if you want to transfer into another program they look at your university grades, not your high school. transfer applicants into health sci is quite competitive, here are the requirements:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/admissions_level_2.ht ml

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

taboads says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 04-07-2014 at 08:45 PM   #3
taboads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I was in soc sci and I have no idea what calculus is so that kind of answers how important it is for the program (although it's required if you want to go into psych).
I did apply for psychology, but it's still listed as recommended.
Also thanks a ton for the link, I was looking for something like this.
Old 04-07-2014 at 09:20 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboads View Post
I did apply for psychology, but it's still listed as recommended.
Also thanks a ton for the link, I was looking for something like this.
You are going into first year; you can't have applied for psychology. You can't major in psych until second year (you apply for it in first year). Putting psych as a potential major of interest does not mean you have applied for the program, and getting accepted into social science I does not guarantee you a spot in a psych program in second year. It's important that you understand that; it applies to all schools where you selected a potential major of interest.

There are a number of different "psych" programs, and not all of them require calculus.

taboads says thanks to starfish for this post.

taboads likes this.
Old 04-07-2014 at 09:26 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Also, you should know that students in first-year social science (or any first-year program that is not in the faculties of science or artsci) are NOT allowed to take the first-year biology courses. These courses are required for entry into health sci II as a transfer student.

You can get special permission to take them in the summer after first year, but I'm not sure that will work for the health sci transfer. The biology department does not give permission to first-year students to take the courses during the normal fall/winter session.

Old 04-07-2014 at 09:27 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Sorry for the triple post, but it won't let me edit - I just realized that the restrictions have been changed, and now only apply to one of the two bio courses.
Not that it makes much of a difference, but for accuracy's sake I thought I should correct it
You would be able to take Bio 1M03, but not 1A03, during the regular school year.

taboads likes this.
Old 04-07-2014 at 09:42 PM   #7
taboads

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
You are going into first year; you can't have applied for psychology. You can't major in psych until second year (you apply for it in first year). Putting psych as a potential major of interest does not mean you have applied for the program, and getting accepted into social science I does not guarantee you a spot in a psych program in second year. It's important that you understand that; it applies to all schools where you selected a potential major of interest.

There are a number of different "psych" programs, and not all of them require calculus.
Ahh, alright. Sorry, I'm still a little overwhelmed by this. From input I've gotten both inside and out of this forum, I think I'm going to follow through with dropping calculus. Thanks for your help