Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 85%
Social Work 1A06

This course was pretty easy, the most important thing is that you MUST keep up with readings! Almost all of the Midterm questions came straight from the readings.

There are 3 "Journals" that need to be completed, I believe there was one in October, one in January, and one in March. The journals are basically a list of questions regarding key concepts that you must answer thoughfully in paragraph format, and they come with small assignments.

The material was fairly interesting, it was a lot of "common sense" knowledge, you touch on topics such as racism, sexism, and ageism.

The prof I had was Dr. Preston. She was good, she really knew her stuff. The only thing I found annoying was that she was very opinionated about the issues we discussed, and she didnt always allow for an open discussion about the topics.

Course breakdown

Journals - 20% each x 3

Midterm - 20%

Final - 20%

mallen says thanks to katie_batt for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Social Work 1A06!

Old 08-23-2009 at 12:02 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
What kinds of topics are covered in this course?
Old 09-03-2009 at 05:49 PM   #3
Harshi

Liked: 0 Times
is this an attendance class?
09-10
Old 09-03-2009 at 06:53 PM   #4
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
What kinds of topics are covered in this course?
Its mostly about different types of oppression, including racism, sexism, heterosexism, ageism, classism, and ablism. We also covered Mental health issues, Child welfare and the CAS, and basic socialwork practice.

Old 09-03-2009 at 06:55 PM   #5
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshi View Post
is this an attendance class?
Do you mean was attendance mandatory? It was, but attendance isn't taken so its up to you to go to lecture. It was just one lecture a week (night class) with no tutorial. We did watch a few movies in class, and had several guest speakers.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to katie_batt for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 01:41 PM   #6
ShiningStar

Liked: 2 Times
I'm planning on taking this course in first year! I'm really excited about it. How much detail do you go into about mental health stuff? That's definitely what I'm most interested in.
Old 08-10-2010 at 02:22 PM   #7
mel89

Liked: 3 Times
i keep getting mixed reviews about this course.... would you recommend someone to take it as an easy elective? thats basically what i am looking for
Old 06-20-2011 at 11:45 AM   #8
JHolm13

This class was on the easy side. I really liked how the due dates for the journals were really spaced out.. As long as you don't leave all the work until the night before it's due, you'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:06 PM   #9
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
this course could be a generally easy course if you put in the effort and are actually interested in the topics.. if youre interested in what youre learning youll enjoy it more and not see it as a huge burden to do the assignments. the assignments werent too hard, and like it was said before, theyre spaced out so you have time to do them. i found the topics to be super interesting and every day issues that you could see in your community- racism, sexism, ageism, child abuse etc, so its not like youre learning something TOTALLY new that youve never heard before (at least for most things!). i thought i knew a lot about certain topics but after taking this class i learned so much more than i expected, it was really eye-opening and made me notice hidden oppressions around me. all in all itll be a great course if you find that youre interested in the topics that are focused on!
Old 11-16-2011 at 04:19 PM   #10
mousse

How is the midterm and exam? Is it multiple choice or short answer or essay?

edit: nevermind, I found the answer on the old course outline

Last edited by mousse : 11-16-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2013 at 05:12 PM   #11
bwalsh

Liked: 1 Time
would you say the textbook is required or can you get by without it?
Old 07-19-2013 at 08:12 PM   #12
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times
when i took the course it was expected that in the assignments you tie in concepts from lecture and the textbook/courseware so you won't be able to "get by" without it.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search