MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-27-2014 at 05:13 PM   #1
Mellie

Liked: 0 Times

Social Worker
my boyfriend is looking into joining the social work program at mcmaster.
and has a few questions and since it is impossible to get academic advising unless you are a student, I will be posting the inquires here; in hopes of getting some answers.

He works full time nights as a security officer,he wants to go part time for the first term so that he can get a feel for the courses and program before deciding if he wants to do full time. BSW degree

now here are the questions:
1. how long does a student have to complete a course after the official start date.
ex. mohawk for a two year course, you have 4 years before you have to officially graduate in time, other wise you do not get to graduate at all.

2. is it possible for his schedule to go something like this: 4 courses 1 term, 4 courses 2nd term, 2 courses summer, (aprox 30 units) - this way he will still be done his first year within one year

3. what courses are available in the summer

4. what first year courses listed under social sciences would you suggest he takes.
He is fairly a creative guy, loves to write stories and read books for fun.

Thanks for the help and advise in advance, I helping him find out as much information as possible before he has to apply in order to make sure he succeeds the first time, as most of you already know working full time while going to school can be difficult so its about how you manage your time to understand what you are learning.
Old 01-27-2014 at 06:26 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Hi, I graduated from the social work program in 2012, it's a really great program and social work is an awesome profession as well.

Here are some answers to your questions:
1. It takes four years to do the BA/BSW program full time, but you can do it part time, there is no deadline, I know people who worked on it over six years.
2. Yes it is possible to do that, keep in mind that if he gets into the social work program after doing first year soc sci you have to take 6 classes a term if you go full time, lots of people take their electives in the summer to relieve the course load.
3. Lots of classes are! Not as much as the fall/winter, but there are a few here and there. The only social work classes offered in the summer is the summer placement class.
4. Can't really speak to him, maybe some humanities courses? The great thing about the BA/BSW program is that you do a non-honours BA alongside your BSW, I know some people who did their BA in English, one did theirs in Theatre and Film!

If you have any questions you can call the School of Social Work's administrator Tammy Maikwa at 905-525-9140 ext 23793, she's really helpful and can answer any questions.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)