MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:13 PM   #1
sm18

Liked: 4 Times

socializing
hey guys, i'm kind of a shy person at first and im sooo nervous about making friends! i mean im only shy at first but not at all if one gets to know me but can anyone please tell me about their experiences with making friends in first year? any advice or comments are welcome! thank you
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:23 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm18 View Post
hey guys, i'm kind of a shy person at first and im sooo nervous about making friends! i mean im only shy at first but not at all if one gets to know me but can anyone please tell me about their experiences with making friends in first year? any advice or comments are welcome! thank you
I'm sort of like that too. I found it to be the easiest to engage in a conversation with someone new before class when everyone is settling down. Find some common ground. Ask them about the last class, or just ask them a question you may have. Hopefully something can happen from there but please do not talk during class.

sm18 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:26 PM   #3
sm18

okay thank you!
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:30 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
okay thank you!
You're welcome. The first day of classes should be the easiest since a lot of people are in the same situation as you. Just try talking to people sitting near you in all of your class & you're bound to make some new friends that way. Just don't worry too much if you don't make many initially, it'll happen all in good time if you really want. Welcome to McMaster!
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:49 PM   #5
sm18

i will be sure to keep all of that in mind! i was just a bit worried cuz i get really nervous in social situations at times!
Old 05-26-2013 at 03:13 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

As tough and awkward as it sounds push yourself to be social as much as possible in Wlcome/Frosh week. You dont have to be the loudest, the craziest, or the most talkative: in fact you can be relatively quiet and subdued. Just go to every single event you possibly can. The Reps will help you break boundaries (without you always noticing) and encourage conversation. A lot of shyness is related to confidence (especially confidence in knowing what to say). Just going to events will help build confidence and allow to make friends and study buddies you will have the rest of the year/university.
Old 05-26-2013 at 03:41 PM   #7
sm18

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
As tough and awkward as it sounds push yourself to be social as much as possible in Wlcome/Frosh week. You dont have to be the loudest, the craziest, or the most talkative: in fact you can be relatively quiet and subdued. Just go to every single event you possibly can. The Reps will help you break boundaries (without you always noticing) and encourage conversation. A lot of shyness is related to confidence (especially confidence in knowing what to say). Just going to events will help build confidence and allow to make friends and study buddies you will have the rest of the year/university.
i've been working on my confidence so hopefully i will be able to come out of my bubble before frosh week and socialize! thanks for the input
Old 05-26-2013 at 05:59 PM   #8
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

are you cute? if so, just go up to any guy you see and go "hey i just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my number, so call me maybe"

if not... then only god can help you.
Old 05-26-2013 at 06:30 PM   #9
sm18

haha i don't wanna sound like im a narcissist by saying that i am cute, i just let others judge!
Old 05-26-2013 at 06:59 PM   #10
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

post a pic so that we can judge then. if you're cute, you'll only be making the day better for the nerds that post here.
Old 05-26-2013 at 07:23 PM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I'm kind of shy like that too, so I just ended up not trying to meet anyone new. And then I didn't. :'(
Old 05-26-2013 at 07:40 PM   #12
sm18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
post a pic so that we can judge then. if you're cute, you'll only be making the day better for the nerds that post here.
haha okay there you go, i posted a picture
Old 05-26-2013 at 07:41 PM   #13
sm18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I'm kind of shy like that too, so I just ended up not trying to meet anyone new. And then I didn't. :'(
aww i so understand! its just hard sometimes but i guess we need to make an effort
Old 05-26-2013 at 07:51 PM   #14
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
aww i so understand! its just hard sometimes but i guess we need to make an effort
First year's a good time to make friends! It's just that as I got older, I just got more and more apathetic about going out to meet people haha. Are you an upper year? It says you're in biology :O. We're in the same program!
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:02 PM   #15
sm18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
First year's a good time to make friends! It's just that as I got older, I just got more and more apathetic about going out to meet people haha. Are you an upper year? It says you're in biology :O. We're in the same program!
no no im actually gonna be in first year this fall but it said to choose what area of study i will be focusing on so i chose bio cuz thats what i intend to major in, maybe i should remove that then lol