MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:11 PM   #16
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Oooh I see. Your best bet to making friends would be to join some clubs, or do what the others have suggested here and try talking to people in lecture.
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:28 PM   #17
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

i made some of my best friends from labs/tutorials! i found it easier to talk in tutorials than talking to people in lecture cause you go in and have 1-3 hours sitting beside someone, and youll likely see the same people every week. so just say hi and ask what program they're in! and it could be someone in the same situation as you, nervous to meet others, so no need to be nervous yourself!

sm18 says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:53 PM   #18
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm18 View Post
haha okay there you go, i posted a picture
lol so funny!!111 ^_^
Old 05-26-2013 at 09:53 PM   #19
sm18

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
lol so funny!!111 ^_^
my face...? :s
Old 05-26-2013 at 10:23 PM   #20
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
my face...? :s
i dont think he realizes that you posted it on your profile. Anyways, just try your best to start conversations and talk to people, everyone is usually in the same boat so it shouldn't be hard
Old 05-26-2013 at 10:24 PM   #21
sm18

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
i dont think he realizes that you posted it on your profile. Anyways, just try your best to start conversations and talk to people, everyone is usually in the same boat so it shouldn't be hard
haha oh :p
i will definitely try my best, thank you!
Old 05-27-2013 at 12:06 AM   #22
hilton

Quote:
haha oh :p
i will definitely try my best, thank you!
i actually didnt. i thought you posted the emote as your "picture" and i was flustered because i thought you coaxed me into a snafu. post it again for our viewing pleasure, please.
Old 05-27-2013 at 07:15 AM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
i actually didnt. i thought you posted the emote as your "picture" and i was flustered because i thought you coaxed me into a snafu. post it again for our viewing pleasure, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
There you go hilton.
Old 05-27-2013 at 08:42 PM   #24
hilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
There you go hilton.
check her profile

spoiler: its not there
Old 05-28-2013 at 12:17 AM   #25
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Clubs and trying to strike up a conversation before+after classes are what I've found to be the best and generally easiest way to meet people you'll have a chance to stay connected with. Even a random observation or comment about the prof or something can be a great convo starter that can lead to unexpected places!

I found no use out of welcome week myself for meeting people, just because there was soo much stuff artificially jam packed into that week and way too many people all ice-breaking together for any chance to really get to know anyone. Then again, I purposely tried skipping as much as I could because I found it boring so who knows haha

Once you get to know 1 person you'll likely meet more and more through them and your network will expand on its own =), goodluck and enjoy yourself in first year!! I've had my ups and downs with Mac over the years, but can't deny that the school's given me some great irreplaceable memories and good times ;D

sm18 says thanks to PockyWarrior for this post.

5.98e24 likes this.
Old 05-28-2013 at 07:12 AM   #26
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
check her profile

spoiler: its not there
Lul. She removed it then. Probably doesn't want people to see anymore?