MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sociology 1A06 Summer Term 2012 toocute Academics 0 04-15-2012 02:59 PM
Sociology 1A06 Question rebecca-cait Academics 1 06-12-2011 04:16 PM
Sociology 1a06 Evening! phantasyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-27-2010 06:01 PM

Sociology 1A06 Term 2 Presentation Question (Evening Class)

Old 02-28-2013 at 12:50 PM   #1
jessica777

Liked: 1 Time

Sociology 1A06 Term 2 Presentation Question (Evening Class)
Hey,

I haven't been able to attend a few tutorials and wasn't able to hear how the term 2 presentations were done.

I was just wondering how to do them and if you had an example.

I know the following information: in a 3-4 minutes present a comparative and critical analysis of your 5 articles, paying close attention to the research questions and central findings of this body of scholarship. The 5 articles can also be analyzed in relation to: theory, methodology, social policy implications, and directions for future research.

If possible, please elaborate on this.

Thanks for your time,
Jessica
Old 02-28-2013 at 06:36 PM   #2
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Hey Jessica,

I had similar concerns so I popped into my tutorial today. I stayed for 2 presentations because it was just a clusterfuck of rambling nonsense. I doubt my tutorial leader could follow their train of thought because I sure couldn't. I'd say speak clearly, loudly and slowly above all else to stand out and get a good grade. Thats all I did for 100% on the first presentation. That being said, here's what I have...

Present findings/questions/theories/direction of future research of all 5 articles. Choose a few of the categories. State the difference in findings between articles & compare across articles. Mention method used, answer the question as to why the articles are similar, where they are different. Stick to key elements, not too much detail. Conclude and state implications of research.

Hope that helps. It seems you just connect all the articles and come to a conclusion on results and their implications. Who is your TA? Best of luck!
Old 02-28-2013 at 07:17 PM   #3
Suspect

Liked: 60 Times

Which TA do the two of you have?
Old 02-28-2013 at 10:03 PM   #4
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Basically take Part C of your first paper, and turn it into a spoken presentation. Then for your essay, take Part C and make it 8 pages long instead of a page and a half.

jessica777, Phaint all say thanks to ashleighp for this post.

jessica777 likes this.
Old 03-02-2013 at 04:52 PM   #5
vardssk

Liked: 0 Times

I emailed my TA and this is what she said:

"Presentation #2

This is a short, oral version of your paper. Obviously, you cannot present all 8 pages of material in one 3-4 minute presentation. But you still need to discuss all five articles in a comparative, analytical way in your presentation. It’s important not to just summarize the findings or simply describe each article individually. You need to analyze the articles. Comparisons can be similarities or differences between them. If your articles contradicted one another, that’s something you can talk about. Or if they used different methods, talk about that. Also, look for places where the research seemed to miss something like race or gender or age. These “holes” can be good things to discuss, especially of some of your articles did look at those things and others didn’t. Your paper should be more in depth than your presentation. Your paper might compare the methods and discuss government policy implications, but your presentation might focus only on the methods."

Phaint says thanks to vardssk for this post.