Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 98%
SOCIOLOGY 2R03 (Samuels, L)

This course is relatively easy, if you are looking for a good lightweight course then give this a shot. One textbook, 4-5 mini tests, no exam. Mostly multiple choice and long answer questions.

"This course introduces students to issues in social inequality, both in Canada and globally", took this from the course outline and its pretty much spot on. You learn about social inequality and vulnerable groups that are disadvantaged in the world. Most of it is focusing around: women, elderly, racialized gorups, children etc. on topics like class privilege, gender gap, sexuality, social movement etc.

Professor Samuels was great, shes a great lecturer and was very helpful and approachable. Her slides are always put up and she makes things very easy to understand. She likes doing mini tests versus one midterm and one exam. She likes to shows videos/movies relating to social inequality and they are usually pretty interesting and do show up on the exam.

I would recommend this course to anyone in sociology, especially if it is taught by Prof. Samuels.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for SOCIOLOGY 2R03 (Samuels, L)!

Old 06-08-2014 at 08:29 PM   #2
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times
I haven't taken this class. I have taken other classes with Dr. Samuels and she's great.....
She likes to rip through her lectures, her tests are very fair, if its a long answer question on a test she gives you the topics. Most of her classes are based on 4 tests, tutorial marks and never a final exam. I have been lucky enough to have her for gender, race ethnic relations and classic theory.
Old 07-08-2014 at 11:23 PM   #3
Kittykat22

Liked: 0 Times
I agree.
Samuels is very accommodating and truly cares about her students. If you for any reason need an extension, email her and she will be more than glad to give it to you even if your excuse is "you are busy with lots of other work." She won't deduct marks either.

Her tests are FAIRLY well, you just need to really read the text book. Pay attention to many details, names, theoriests, etc. I thought this course was very inspiring, especially her passion when lecturing. Many people don't enjoy her, but I personally think she is one of the best professors I have had. Don't miss lecture or ignore the readings and you can EASILY get a 10.
Old 09-10-2014 at 03:48 PM   #4
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time
I need some advice on this module ..
I'm really interested in the course content, but had my first lecture with the prof. on Monday and really didn't enjoy the teaching style. I found that she was all over the place and I couldn't really follow.
This kind of threw me as I hadn't intended on dropping this course, and now I kinda want to.
Is there anyone who has taken this course who felt the same at the beginning?
And what did you do an how did you find it later on?

Old 09-10-2014 at 09:09 PM   #5
Kittykat22

Liked: 0 Times
Hey,
I felt the same way when I first took the course. What I used to do was pay attention to what she said very closley, and follow along with the lecture slides. Anything she would add on for the lecture slides, I would write down. But don't worry, she will test mostly on lecture/readings. Also, you should really go ad approach her and tell her. She is very accomodating and I am sure she will try to lecture slower/ more concisely.
Old 09-11-2014 at 09:42 PM   #6
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time
Thanks for the advice.
Decided not to drop the course.
Have tutorials next week too so hopefully those should help

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search