MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
SOCS looking for Frost Week Coordinator! Chad General Discussion 0 10-31-2007 11:41 AM
Socs Welcome Week lorend General Discussion 5 09-10-2007 06:55 PM
Socs lorend Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 08-13-2007 10:04 PM

SOCS Welcome Week

Old 09-02-2010 at 09:33 AM   #16
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I have been sent details about the SOCS WW. Will add it to the WW thread. Thanks Daniel!
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:33 AM   #17
memyselfandi

Liked: 0 Times

so the socs evening social got moved to 7:30 instead of 5:30?
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:37 AM   #18
Boccaccio

Liked: 8 Times

Yeah because we are now watching IRIS at 6pm followed by the dinner and social (for the Sunday)
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:43 AM   #19
memyselfandi

ooh I see. and whats the IRIS? and how are the evening socials what do we do?? Just really curious...cause I will be going alone and I was wondering if Im gonna have a crap time.
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:43 AM   #20
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boccaccio View Post
3) So this year is really different. Last year they built the price of the SOCS membership into the welcome week pass and once you bought your MacPass you could attend welcome week and were a SOCS member. This year those fees are seperate so yes you need to buy a pass to attend the SOCS events and $5 for a SOCS membership which is so worth it. The memberships jump back up to $20 after welcome week.
\

so we need both a macpass and a socs membership to attend the activities then? or just some of the activities?
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:44 AM   #21
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I have added the schedule as an attachment as well as added in SOCS exclusive events in ORANGE on the MacInsiders WW Event List

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9#p ost164539

memyselfandi says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:45 AM   #22
memyselfandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
\

so we need both a macpass and a socs membership to attend the activities then? or just some of the activities?
wtf? really? that sucks cause the macpasss already 150...holy
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:46 AM   #23
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
ooh I see. and whats the IRIS? and how are the evening socials what do we do?? Just really curious...cause I will be going alone and I was wondering if Im gonna have a crap time.

Read more about IRIS in the WW thread:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9#p ost164539

Many people will be going alone without knowing anyone, you'll have a great time and meet new people!!

memyselfandi says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:49 AM   #24
Boccaccio

Quote:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... ghlight=IRIS

Check that thread out it explains exactly what IRIS is.

Okay so for the SOCS social on Sunday night you will be getting a dinner (think it's like a burger dinner). After eating karaoke will start up for a bit so you will watch as your fellow first years and possibly reps sing for a bit followed by dancing (club style). Again that night you can talk to whoever and get to know people too (a lot of people don't like singing and dancing, myself being one of them).

On the Monday night you have 3-4 options of what you want to do. From what I remember there are 4 stations, a music station outside with bands playing (no name bands), a speed meeting area, a dance lessons area and a crazy first year party in 1280.
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:52 AM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
wtf? really? that sucks cause the macpasss already 150...holy
There should have been a macpass/socs membership package? I remember there was one in my year...
Old 09-02-2010 at 09:53 AM   #26
Boccaccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
\

No once you buy a macpass you are set to attend the entire welcome week. However, if you want all the benefits that SOCS offers you following welcome week you will need to buy the membership but trust me, $5 gets you crazy deals.

SOCS memberships includes:
- discounts at all of our events: camping, formal, Halloween pub, acoustic nights
- free intramurals
- academic support (peer mentors, matching up with an upper year student in your program, bringing someone in to teach you how to write exams, essays, etc.)
- mad westdale discounts (check socs.ca for all of them)
- we also give one lucky SOCS member a free room for a year in partnership with MacStudentRentals

Last edited by Boccaccio : 09-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.

GCSM says thanks to Boccaccio for this post.
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:02 AM   #27
memyselfandi

Quote:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... ghlight=IRIS

Check that thread out it explains exactly what IRIS is.

Okay so for the SOCS social on Sunday night you will be getting a dinner (think it's like a burger dinner). After eating karaoke will start up for a bit so you will watch as your fellow first years and possibly reps sing for a bit followed by dancing (club style). Again that night you can talk to whoever and get to know people too (a lot of people don't like singing and dancing, myself being one of them).

On the Monday night you have 3-4 options of what you want to do. From what I remember there are 4 stations, a music station outside with bands playing (no name bands), a speed meeting area, a dance lessons area and a crazy first year party in 1280.
ooh I see thanks! and what is 1280? I keep seeing this is it like aroom?
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:04 AM   #28
Boccaccio

Quote:
ooh I see thanks! and what is 1280? I keep seeing this is it like aroom?
1280 is the main mcmaster bar/pub/club that is in the basement of the student centre
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:05 AM   #29
kcolley

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks Chad and Daniel for posting this information for us so quickly after we asked. I am looking forward to the events!
Old 09-02-2010 at 10:31 AM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
No once you buy a macpass you are set to attend the entire welcome week. However, if you want all the benefits that SOCS offers you following welcome week you will need to buy the membership but trust me, $5 gets you crazy deals.

SOCS memberships includes:
- discounts at all of our events: camping, formal, Halloween pub, acoustic nights
- free intramurals
- academic support (peer mentors, matching up with an upper year student in your program, bringing someone in to teach you how to write exams, essays, etc.)
- mad westdale discounts (check socs.ca for all of them)
- we also give one lucky SOCS member a free room for a year in partnership with MacStudentRentals
Isn't the membership 25$?