MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Course Cancellation Fees ShesTheMan Academics 3 07-13-2011 07:02 PM

What are some good noise cancellation headphones?

Old 10-06-2011 at 08:04 PM   #1
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

What are some good noise cancellation headphones?
Or just any good pair of headphones for that matter? At my house there's guys blasting music all the time, even in the library it is noisy. I'm trying to look for a good set of headphones , any ideas?
Old 10-06-2011 at 08:06 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

do u just want to noise cancelling or do u want to include high quality sound (audiophile quality)
Old 10-06-2011 at 08:49 PM   #3
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

Tried Bose on display at bestbuy/futureshop. Pretty neat I'd say.
Old 10-06-2011 at 08:51 PM   #4
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
do u just want to noise cancelling or do u want to include high quality sound (audiophile quality)
I'd like to have high quality sound too
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:23 PM   #5
ninjamachete

Liked: 24 Times

Bought the Sennhieser HD 25 Adidas Originals a week ago and love them. Excellent sound quality and great noise cancelling.
http://www.shopadidas.com/product/or...adphones/L78B6
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:29 PM   #6
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Sennheiser. Sennheiser, or nothing else. Bose is horribly overpriced.

Pick up some HD280 pros. You can thank me later.
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:32 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I like to cancel noise by adding more noise on top of said noise..

Desda, nila*, omgmt, omgwtfitsp like this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:33 PM   #8
alex751

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Sennheiser. Sennheiser, or nothing else. Bose is horribly overpriced.

Pick up some HD280 pros. You can thank me later.
do they leak a lot of sound?
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:45 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I bought Fischer Audio Eterna Earphones last summer, they're a god send and isolate noise amazingly well
Old 10-06-2011 at 10:32 PM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

-stay away from bose or beats unless ur sitting on a pile of useless cash.
-stay away from skull-candy. Absolute garbage for the money ($50+ considering only)
-in general noise cancelling (ie the quite comfort series) offer substantially less audio quality over their non-noise-cancelling counterparts for a similar price.
-noise isolating headphones provide similar noise reduction to active noise cancelling. noise isolating headphones are simply headphones that are of CLOSED type (as opposed to open) that provide a good seal around your ear (not on ear type). Some are much better than others, and thats what reviews are for. Open headphones give a more natural sound but you will not be able to use them in the library because everyone will hear you.
-A good quality pair of in-ear-headphones will provide the best noise isolation. They can also provide exceptional sound, but it will cost you.
-Highly reputable brands for audiophile and studio quality headphones are (in no order):
Grado, Denon, AKG, AudioTechnica, Shure, and Senn

-Of these id recommend Senn(if u like treble) and shure(for balance/bass). klipsch and higher end sony are also worth an mention.

-I personally use the shure SE215 (~$100) in the library. They provide enough isolation so that i can rarely hear much background in thode. They also have some of the best sound quality for any earphone/headphone under or at $100, and in many cases higher.

oranges says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

julianface, temptingf8 like this.
Old 10-07-2011 at 08:24 AM   #11
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
-stay away from bose or beats unless ur sitting on a pile of useless cash.
-stay away from skull-candy. Absolute garbage for the money ($50+ considering only)
-in general noise cancelling (ie the quite comfort series) offer substantially less audio quality over their non-noise-cancelling counterparts for a similar price.
-noise isolating headphones provide similar noise reduction to active noise cancelling. noise isolating headphones are simply headphones that are of CLOSED type (as opposed to open) that provide a good seal around your ear (not on ear type). Some are much better than others, and thats what reviews are for. Open headphones give a more natural sound but you will not be able to use them in the library because everyone will hear you.
-A good quality pair of in-ear-headphones will provide the best noise isolation. They can also provide exceptional sound, but it will cost you.
-Highly reputable brands for audiophile and studio quality headphones are (in no order):
Grado, Denon, AKG, AudioTechnica, Shure, and Senn

-Of these id recommend Senn(if u like treble) and shure(for balance/bass). klipsch and higher end sony are also worth an mention.

-I personally use the shure SE215 (~$100) in the library. They provide enough isolation so that i can rarely hear much background in thode. They also have some of the best sound quality for any earphone/headphone under or at $100, and in many cases higher.
Oh thanks man, zoo I'm wondering when you are in the library with the headphones on, ur still listening to some music with it right? You can't just buy headphones just to put over ur ear to block out the noise....or can you?
Old 10-07-2011 at 08:30 PM   #12
slx4

Liked: 4 Times

take a look at this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-10-05-11
Old 10-07-2011 at 08:32 PM   #13
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

ya i listen to music in the library. however they alone have similar noise isolation as those yellow foam ear-plugs. In fact th ends of the headphones are foam to ensure very good seal in the ear canal. the better the seal the better the passive noise cancellation. I for example have vacuumed with these on and only heard a light hum beyond the music.
THESE are standard headphones. If you want absolute silence then u may want the active noise cancellation type.

about active noise cancelling headphones:
-They put out white noise on top of your music. This is the whole "active cancellation" part.
-For some people, this process causes pain and discomfort in the ear drum, so many types such as the bose quiet comfort series offers extensive return policies.
-Most types use an internal rechargeable battery to provide the active cancellation. If this battery dies (battery life changes per model but will need to be charges fairly often) you will lose the ability to use the noise cancellation ability and possibly all uses of the headphones.
-Senn, sony and bose are considered leaders in this field.
-Good active noise cancellation headphones cost between $200 and $700 but some brands do go on sale on occasion.
Old 10-07-2011 at 09:00 PM   #14
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Just so you know, it won't cancel out the noise played by your housemates. What it does is takes the ambient sound it picks up through a microphone and plays the opposite of that sound into the headphones to cancel out the noise, but it only really works for constant environmental noise (ie. fans, general echoing, etc.)

I got a pair of Audio Technicas (ATH-ANC7) for pretty cheap (~$170). Look around, do some research, skip out of bose, rip off they sound exactly the same as mine for double the price.
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:16 PM   #15
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/e...ctID.121026300 These are the ones I have, the reason I like them is because they are ear buds so I can wear them to the gym and they are easy to carry around. They come with foam and rubber ear sleeves, I use the foam ones because they cancel out the sound better. Listening to music I literally can't hear anything else around me.