MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Course Cancellation Fees ShesTheMan Academics 3 07-13-2011 07:02 PM

What are some good noise cancellation headphones?

Old 10-07-2011 at 10:26 PM   #16
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt93 View Post
http://store.shure.com/store/shure/e...ctID.121026300 These are the ones I have, the reason I like them is because they are ear buds so I can wear them to the gym and they are easy to carry around. They come with foam and rubber ear sleeves, I use the foam ones because they cancel out the sound better. Listening to music I literally can't hear anything else around me.

the headphones i suggested earlier "shure SE215" are the successor to these headphones but feature a better dynamic frequency response, a thicker replaceable chord and a cheaper price ($99). They are incredible headphones though and the foam ear-pieces do make a huge difference in noise isolation

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...dels/index.htm

they are also available at futureshop, bestbuy, and just about any audio-specialty store

Last edited by qwerty91 : 10-07-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:44 PM   #17
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
Oh thanks man, zoo I'm wondering when you are in the library with the headphones on, ur still listening to some music with it right? You can't just buy headphones just to put over ur ear to block out the noise....or can you?
With my 5$ pair of headphones (in ear) just putting them in drops ambient noise an immense amount. Combine them with white noise or background noise like rain and you are set. My friend has a pair of Shure's with foam tips for the in-ears, and they are incredibly effective compared to any regular silicone ones I have used.
Old 10-08-2011 at 12:59 AM   #18
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
-stay away from bose or beats unless ur sitting on a pile of useless cash.
-stay away from skull-candy. Absolute garbage for the money ($50+ considering only)
-in general noise cancelling (ie the quite comfort series) offer substantially less audio quality over their non-noise-cancelling counterparts for a similar price.
-noise isolating headphones provide similar noise reduction to active noise cancelling. noise isolating headphones are simply headphones that are of CLOSED type (as opposed to open) that provide a good seal around your ear (not on ear type). Some are much better than others, and thats what reviews are for. Open headphones give a more natural sound but you will not be able to use them in the library because everyone will hear you.
-A good quality pair of in-ear-headphones will provide the best noise isolation. They can also provide exceptional sound, but it will cost you.
-Highly reputable brands for audiophile and studio quality headphones are (in no order):
Grado, Denon, AKG, AudioTechnica, Shure, and Senn

-Of these id recommend Senn(if u like treble) and shure(for balance/bass). klipsch and higher end sony are also worth an mention.

-I personally use the shure SE215 (~$100) in the library. They provide enough isolation so that i can rarely hear much background in thode. They also have some of the best sound quality for any earphone/headphone under or at $100, and in many cases higher.
Holy shit I read this and it's like our minds are connected. And when I got to your mention of your shure se 215's I couldn't believe it because my favorite headphones were se 210's until I lost them or they got stolen at an airport.

I use shure 840's now they are beautiful but it sounds like you are looking for buds. I second everything qwerty mentioned
Old 10-08-2011 at 01:09 AM   #19
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

If you want to get your money's worth I would recommend googling "Etymotic Research".

You will not regret it.

Shure is also great, so is Fischer.

Sennheiser used to be good, not too good now.

Etymotic Research is definitely the best manufacturer quality wise though. You will quickly figure this out after some searches. Their pricing is also quite competitive..

Audiotechnica is also quite good.

Stay away from: Skullcandy.

Be well.

Last edited by ZSimon : 10-08-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2011 at 01:25 AM   #20
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
Sennheiser used to be good, not too good now.
Care to elaborate?
Old 10-08-2011 at 02:11 AM   #21
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Care to elaborate?
I had a pair (forget the designation atm) aeons ago and decided to get another 2 years ago I believe they were the HD 515. Sennheiser's signature covering of the highs is present which allows for long hours of listening pleasure without feeling what I call "music annoyance". But the treble was poor so were many of the mid tones actually. The sound was also a bit muddy, which I definitely didn't expect from Sennheiser.

I checked if they were fake, and they were not. Perhaps a manufacturing defect/outlier? idk. I later checked online and some others were also complaining of poor treble fidelity.

Though, I did end up getting a CX55 a few months later. Pretty happy with them.

Other remarks..

I've -switched up to Etymotic Research's hf5 atm. They are custom molded too.. I don't think I've found a comparable in-ear at this price.

My father was gifted a Monster Miles Davis Trumpets.. Very good fo clarity but I'd hate to pay for them LOL.

Be well.
Old 10-08-2011 at 11:08 AM   #22
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
Holy shit I read this and it's like our minds are connected. And when I got to your mention of your shure se 215's I couldn't believe it because my favorite headphones were se 210's until I lost them or they got stolen at an airport.

I use shure 840's now they are beautiful but it sounds like you are looking for buds. I second everything qwerty mentioned

ya haha. the 840s are amazing headphones too. I got the 750DJs because i wanted a higher impedance for my amplifier. But if i were to choose again i would def get the 840s. Really balanced sound. My housemate got them after listening to my headphones.

To op. the shure line of headphones (minus the 750DJs) are also an amazing, and balanced sounding headphones that are super comfortable. They also have a removable, replaceable cable so if the cable goes first you can just purchase a new cable. They are also available at bestbuy and futureshop which makes things easier.

also one thing i forgot to mention: proper headphones take 50 HOURS of playing in order to output its full frequency. They need to be broken-in. A new pair of headphones will gradually sound better and better (especially in the lows) for the first 50-75 of play time.
Old 10-08-2011 at 11:32 AM   #23
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
also one thing i forgot to mention: proper headphones take 50 HOURS of playing in order to output its full frequency. They need to be broken-in. A new pair of headphones will gradually sound better and better (especially in the lows) for the first 50-75 of play time.
It's called burn in, but not everyone agrees that it actually even does anything, or if anything there are only subtle differences. There are special tracks you can download though that you just leave playing in the headphones over night and it "burns in" a bunch of different frequencies.
Old 10-08-2011 at 12:16 PM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91

This is not necessarily true; it sounds more like a biological phenomena, where its your ears/brain getting used to the frequency response of those particular headphones.. they certainly will change over time, but as to whether its necessarily getting 'better' is largely opinion, because you're getting more attuned to listening to certain things compared to other drivers/sounds of life, etc